What a day! :( - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Some of you may remember several months back Mary had eye surgery and lens replacement. Well she was scheduled to go back again today for a little laser tweaking. We were to leave about 12:30, for the 1.5 hour drive to the eye place and as I walked out on the driveway I saw water coming up out of the ground. Yep a broken water line. This kind of thing never happens in good weather. All I could do was get my tail the 800' to the water cut off. The cut off to the house was 20' from the break. It had to be on the other side.
Anyway, got it turned off and hooked it to the doctor. We got home about 6:60 (dark) and I went to digging. Temperature was pretty nice today. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be around 40 with 30 mph winds dropping into the 20° range. Needless to say I didn't want to be out messing with a water line break in that kind of weather.
Found the break, a 90° elbow had split up the side. With all the PVC of various sizes I have you can bet I didn't have what I needed. Still I managed to get it spliced together..looks like crap but it's carrying water for now. If it will hold until the week end maybe I can get the right parts and do a proper job. Did I say I hate plumbing? I think if we had had time to grab some things we would have just gotten a hotel and stayed in Tyler. No water for showers, drinking and the bathroom isn't good in anyone's book....I don't think.
Tomorrow it's back to the doctor to check on Mary's eyes again. She has to go back again Friday but she should be able to drive by then. At least I hope so.
Anyone want to come and help with the digging and plumbing this week end? Sure hope I have it covered up enough that it doesn't freez before I get it finished.
So how was your Wednesday?

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Some of you may remember several months back Mary had eye surgery and lens replacement. Well she was scheduled to go back again today for a little laser tweaking. We were to leave about 12:30, for the 1.5 hour drive to the eye place and as I walked out on the driveway I saw water coming up out of the ground. Yep a broken water line. This kind of thing never happens in good weather. All I could do was get my tail the 800' to the water cut off. The cut off to the house was 20' from the break. It had to be on the other side.
Anyway, got it turned off and hooked it to the doctor. We got home about 6:60 (dark) and I went to digging. Temperature was pretty nice today. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be around 40 with 30 mph winds dropping into the 20° range. Needless to say I didn't want to be out messing with a water line break in that kind of weather.
Found the break, a 90° elbow had split up the side. With all the PVC of various sizes I have you can bet I didn't have what I needed. Still I managed to get it spliced together..looks like crap but it's carrying water for now. If it will hold until the week end maybe I can get the right parts and do a proper job. Did I say I hate plumbing? I think if we had had time to grab some things we would have just gotten a hotel and stayed in Tyler. No water for showers, drinking and the bathroom isn't good in anyone's book....I don't think.
Tomorrow it's back to the doctor to check on Mary's eyes again. She has to go back again Friday but she should be able to drive by then. At least I hope so.
Anyone want to come and help with the digging and plumbing this week end? Sure hope I have it covered up enough that it doesn't freez before I get it finished.
So how was your Wednesday?

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage
Sorry to hear of the water break Doug... and hope Mary's eyes are good to go.

Get Morris to come over and help
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

Garage
Mine was about the worst I've had in the seven years I've been at this great job. Since it is still a GREAT job, I guess this day doesn't measure up (or down) to yours. I hear ya 'bout working in a cold wind.

Some years ago I had to splice a 50-pair cable outside in the winter. I think the high that day was in the 40s. NOT fun! Glad I don't have to do that sh!t any more.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Greg

Garage
A lot better than yours. But I have felt your pain, I had a well pump go out on the coldest day in years. 185 feet of PVC had to be pulled and it froze as soon as I got clear of the well.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #6

Well mine went boring but if I live close I would not care to help in any way I could cause I know whats its like to be with out. And I never wish that on any one. Hope it gets better
Old 01-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #7

Hey Doug I will be right down to give you a hand!

2011 Power Wagon Crew Cab
Deep Water Pearl Blue w/two tone Black and Red stripe/6 ton Winch/4.56 front and rear axle ratio/bilstein shocks on all 4 sides/Tru-Lok® Front and Rear Axles/Front Disconnecting Stabilizer Bar/remote starter/spray in bed liner/tow package/custom Fisher plow XtremeV SS/Magnaflow/Fog Lamps/Plasmaglow Fire & Ice/TomTom GPS/Rear Power Sliding Window/p windows/p driver seat/heated,p/tow mirrors/p steps/vent visors/Husky mud flaps/Wheel Flares/tonneau cover ...more to come

Member # 950

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth".

" Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers
What you do today, might Burn Your *** Tomorrow"

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
Board of Directors

Garage
I hope Mary is a-ok. And I feel your pain about plumbing problems. I had to have my yard hydrant replaced a couple of weeks ago. Now I have a water line leak under the house. It apparently has a small hole spraying up onto the floor boards in one bedroom and the floor is staying wet there. The plumber is supposed to be coming this morning. As Roseanne Roseannadanna said "It's always something!"
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs – Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover – some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
Queen Kima - Whemi BOD

Quote:
Originally posted by MrHemi:
Get Morris to come over and help
That's what I was thinking.

Mrs.Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
Board of Directors (Jay)

2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote