WHAM! New Door Ding...What Would You Do? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

So there you are…Sitting in your spotless HEMI ride in a parking lot. Perhaps waiting to pick-up a family member or meeting someone for lunch. Another truck, or car, pulls-in the space next to your parking space and WHAM!!! They open the door of their ride against yours and go about their business without a concern about what they just did.

Now in all fairness I am going to add the type of occupant(s) that just severely ding your ride.

A.) A person of same built and age as you.
B.) An elderly person in their 70’s or more.
C.) A soccer mom with 3 screaming kids
D.) A young person in their teens with friend(s)
E.) A person, for some reason, you might consider armed.
F.) And finally, someone you know (neighbor, friend, family, co-worker)

What do you do? Would you confront and say something? Would you just give them a dirty look from where you sit? Would you just look straight ahead like nothing happened?

In the case of “What would you do” the idea to retaliate is out. After-all, two wrongs don’t make a right in this case and it doesn’t take your new dent out or make that 1” long scratch go away.

In my case:

A.) Confront and say something.
B.) Confront and say something in a gentle way.
C.) Confront and say something and if she starts to give the look of going psycho step away.
D.) Confront and say something knowing this could turn ugly.
E.) Confront and say something in a very busy place.
F.) Confront and say something knowing what I could risk losing.

I hate door dings! They’re tough and costly to deal with out of pocket. I even had people at car shows open the door of their show car against mine (100+ trophies to date) and act like it’s no big deal.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

So there you are…Sitting in your spotless HEMI ride in a parking lot. Perhaps waiting to pick-up a family member or meeting someone for lunch. Another truck, or car, pulls-in the space next to your parking space and WHAM!!! They open the door of their ride against yours and go about their business without a concern about what they just did.

Now in all fairness I am going to add the type of occupant(s) that just severely ding your ride.

A.) A person of same built and age as you.
B.) An elderly person in their 70’s or more.
C.) A soccer mom with 3 screaming kids
D.) A young person in their teens with friend(s)
E.) A person, for some reason, you might consider armed.
F.) And finally, someone you know (neighbor, friend, family, co-worker)

What do you do? Would you confront and say something? Would you just give them a dirty look from where you sit? Would you just look straight ahead like nothing happened?

In the case of “What would you do” the idea to retaliate is out. After-all, two wrongs don’t make a right in this case and it doesn’t take your new dent out or make that 1” long scratch go away.

In my case:

A.) Confront and say something.
B.) Confront and say something in a gentle way.
C.) Confront and say something and if she starts to give the look of going psycho step away.
D.) Confront and say something knowing this could turn ugly.
E.) Confront and say something in a very busy place.
F.) Confront and say something knowing what I could risk losing.

I hate door dings! They’re tough and costly to deal with out of pocket. I even had people at car shows open the door of their show car against mine (100+ trophies to date) and act like it’s no big deal.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Greg

Garage
Jim,
I am very very careful where I park and I have had careless individuals bump my truck. I am vocal about carefless behavior and depending on their response will determine how intense the discussion will be.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
First I would check the damage. If it is going to require repair I would let them know about it and ask for their insurance information. Then depending on their attitude and demeanor I would politely let them know how inconsiderate I think they are.
There is no excuse for being careless and damaging someones else's property.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Stu

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by "RANCHER":
ask for their insurance information. There is no excuse for being careless and damaging someones else's property.

Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Director Emeritus

Garage
Interesting scenarios! I always park away from the front areas if I can... and when we go out to eat I always sit by a window so I can keep an eye on the truck. One day we were at a restaurant and I noticed an elderly person (about Doug's age) pull up right next to the truck and sure enough - pops the door into the truck. I went outside and looked at the door before they left their car. Luckily there were no visible signs (dents) - but the elderly person realized what she done and apologized. I said politely that no harm was done... but don't *!&^#@!* do it again
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Quote:
about Doug's age
You really know how to hurt a guy don't ya!!

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Greg

Garage
I've had many dings over the years, but my one single horror story was right after I had my truck's body completely detailed in a body shop which included painting and multiple coats of clear coat over some serious hand rubbing and polishing. I had parked Red in a far corner of a large parking lot. No one was within 10-15 spaces. I come out after about 15 minutes and I see an older sedan next to Red. As I got closer I could see the car was really close and sure enough the open rear door was jammed up against the truck with a women changing daipers of an infant. She had her fat *** pushing against the door as she struggled with the baby. Might note there still was open spaces all around both vehicles.
I asked her for her insurance information and she tells me she doesn't have any insurance. I told her I would report her to DMV and did. The door damage was $375 if I remember right.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #9

I gave up worrying about door dings a long time ago. I have what MrHemi would refer to as a "50 foot truck" now. It looks good from a distance, but pretty haggard up close.

His: 2012 Tornado Red Jetta TDI

Hers: 2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit #638/1200

askibum02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
Board of Directors-Bill

Garage
I just try not to take the truck to places occupied by the ignorant. In other words...the truck doesn't spend much time in a public parking lots.

When damage is incurred at such a place, not a lot you can do about it with out escalating the situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00DSC01987B.jpg (83.4 KB, 60 views)
Just [email protected]

arocketman is offline   Reply With Quote