Unofficial 2013 Rally Survey - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Queen Kima - Whemi BOD

Since there hasn't been much action on planning a rally this year, the boyz (Doug, Ken, Phil) and I were talking about it Thursday night in chatroom......then just like men.....they made me in charge of coming up with a plan. We decided to focus on Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Here's what I'm thinking and I am open to any input and also if you have any interest in attending the rally:

<span class="ev_code_RED">First the Date:</span>
1) M-F, July 1-5, 2013.
Pros: Alot of folks are already off the the 4th (except me but that's the life of a nurse)
Con: All the hotels I contacted have higher rates that week because of the holiday

2) M-F, July 8-12, 2013
Pros: Hotels are cheaper (approx $10 per night or more)
Cons: have to take off again

<span class="ev_code_RED">Hotel cost vs. whatcha get</span>

I've only been able to actually "talk" to two hotels but have read about and looked into several. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. The question is, do you want to spend more for the hotel and get more or would you rather spend less and get less. I'm going to talk to others for group rates, etc., but no one was working on Mondays and/or MLK Day.

1) I spoke with Justin at Comfort Inn. It is a little more price wise, about $85 per night but has a "hot" continental breakfast: eggs, waffles, muffins, toast, coffee, juice,etc.
Pro: Good breakfast, probably better mattress (hey, we're old, that's pretty important) and though there isn't 24 hour security, the night shift help make hourly rounds outside.
Con: Costs more

2) Spoke with a gentleman at "The Trails Inn", a mom and pop place that is closed for the season until March 15th but he did answer the phone and gave me a little info. The rooms are about $50 per night and would probably be less (he asked that I email him with the exact rooms and types we would be needing and he would give me a proposal, most of his rooms are $40-$45 per night), there is a continental breakfast of a muffin, coffee, and juice. When I asked about parking he said "each room has a parking spot".
Pro: Almost half of a chain hotel price
Con: If you are like me you would spend money on breakfast anyway because a muffin and coffee just won't cut it, mattresses are always iffy at Mom & Pops, and the usually have fewer staff working in the evening so there wouldn't be routine patrolling of our trucks.

The hotel "chain" rate and ammenties seemed about the same and the Mom & Pop rates and ammenties seemed about the same.

Please give input asap!! Especially the dates. I have a job where one person at a time is off so I need to get my leave request in.

There seems to be tons to do: The Passion Play, Pine Mountain Country Music Show, shops, Cosmic Caverns, Hotel Ghost Tours, a trolly to cart us all over.....HEY, JAY, YOU CAN ATTEND BECAUSE YOU WON'T HAVE TO MOVE YOUR TRUCK !!

I'm looking forward to planning this and getting my "official" proposal to the BOD.

Mrs.Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Board of Directors "Phil"

Garage
tow/haul button/full power Leather seats/ HEMI embroidered headrests/Billet style "HEMI" door inserts and door pillar inserts/black DEE ZEE Nerf bars/ custom graphic stripes by westside vinyl & graphics/Tinted windows/billet(brushed)fuel door(locking)/HEMI with rams head embroidered floor mats/H.T.C. Trible window Logo's/Husky Liners Mudflaps/Sonar gen 3 taillights/Super chip programer
Shaved Tailgate handle w/Sir Michaels handle relocator.
True Duals w/Flow master 50 series (Delta Flows) and IMCO performance exhaust X pipe and LXP stainless tips.Mopar rear wheel well liners.
Billet "BIG MOUTH GRILLE" by Precision grilles,T-REX Billet bumper insert.,HAMBEK SIXPACK HOOD W/RamAIRBOX
Future mods: ??
view my website at http://philbonc.50megs.com/photo6.html
more pics from HEMI in the hills taken by KenandJenn 2005

2011 SRT8 Challenger 392 HEMI Inaugural edition #0925 of 1100 made for USA

GodsRodsHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

I'm with Kima on dates. I mean I'll be off work for about 5 weeks anyway but Garry needs to put his time in. And as long as doctor ok's me to travel we will be there, may be slow moving but we will be there

Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

and my only request if at all possible, no stairs or if there is stairs at least an elevator. i won't beable to do stairs or drive for at least 2 weeks....
Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
My $.02 worth..and that's about what it's worth too.
I prefer a decent chain hotel. Not high dollar, but no cheapo either. Without someone on the ground to actually see what the mom and pop rooms are like, for that price I have my doubts. We will spend more than a few dollars going out for a hot meal at breakfast. A hot meal included in the hotel price is cheaper in the long run...to me, and we don't loose our parking spaces. Also the location is important. Eureka Springs is strung out along the highway kind of like Branson.
I understand the rates being a little higher that week. A lot of folks have the day off, fireworks shows etc. I think it would be cool for all of us to sit and watch a fireworks show. And with the 4th being on a Thursday it might not be so crowded after all.
We didn't see a lot of town when we were there but there did seem to be a lot to see. The Passion play was great. There is also a section of the Berlin wall there at the park. Picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2226_-_Copy.JPG (258.1 KB, 147 views)
RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
I hope your able to make it Lisa, but I'm not sure how much fun you'll be able to have 2 weeks after giving birth... Make me hurt just thinking about it.
Explanation on the Berlin wall..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2227_-_Copy.JPG (223.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Hotel prices get confusing..... We stayed at the Best Western and it was great. Good breakfast, nice rooms and centrally located. Checking their site it says for now their prices are $59. For the first week of July $109. I'm reasonably sure if we decide to stay someplace like that that we can get a better deal. I know they have special deals for seniors and group rates. Something to look into when you have time...if you want to. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hot...prings_Arkansas.html
Reviews are always good to read....even the not so happy ones.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Queen Kima - Whemi BOD

I'm going to call Best Western tomorrow, Doug. They've had a recording since I tried to call that they are there for group sales 9a.m. - 4pm (really??) and they were closed Monday for MLK.

Both the Best Western and Comfort Inn are on the trolly route and have elevators (I already checked that out even before Lisa's request )

Mrs.Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #9

Really!! 1500 miles!!

As for patrols, I think we did all right in Tenn, usually took a nap when the sun came up.
I agree Kima, I usually will buy my breakfast anyway. I'll have see how the funds make out, Ashton might be starting college!

dr.dred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Board of Directors "Phil"

Garage
Quote:
Both the Best Western and Comfort Inn are on the trolly route
Justin said oh no not the dreaded trolly .. remember pigion forge were he and chelsea got thrown off the trolly.
tow/haul button/full power Leather seats/ HEMI embroidered headrests/Billet style "HEMI" door inserts and door pillar inserts/black DEE ZEE Nerf bars/ custom graphic stripes by westside vinyl & graphics/Tinted windows/billet(brushed)fuel door(locking)/HEMI with rams head embroidered floor mats/H.T.C. Trible window Logo's/Husky Liners Mudflaps/Sonar gen 3 taillights/Super chip programer
Shaved Tailgate handle w/Sir Michaels handle relocator.
True Duals w/Flow master 50 series (Delta Flows) and IMCO performance exhaust X pipe and LXP stainless tips.Mopar rear wheel well liners.
Billet "BIG MOUTH GRILLE" by Precision grilles,T-REX Billet bumper insert.,HAMBEK SIXPACK HOOD W/RamAIRBOX
Future mods: ??
view my website at http://philbonc.50megs.com/photo6.html
more pics from HEMI in the hills taken by KenandJenn 2005

2011 SRT8 Challenger 392 HEMI Inaugural edition #0925 of 1100 made for USA

GodsRodsHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote