Toyota Tundra vs Dodge Hemi RAM - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #1

Toyota Tundra vs Dodge Hemi RAM

All,
What's up with Toyota Tundra 5.7L with 380HP? Can this so call Monster beat our Hemi RAM? My friend is bragging about this Tundra with more HP. Anyone has any good thing on this? I also heard '09 Hemi is packing 380HP, is that the truth?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...geram1500.html

BlackDragonHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #2

been under a rock for a while?

yup the new tundra have more HP than the current Ram Hemi's, yup the new 09 Ram will have equal power outputs, with a list of changes to move them into the next level. Tundra have a hell-of-a stout motor, but have been plagued with problems since their release.... For the price difference between the Ram and Tundra, you can buy all the go fast goodies needed for the Ram to be plenty fast enough to take care of that buddies tundra, and still have money left over.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #3

put it on the track and lets see........
Hemi Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #4

Garage

From what I've read the Turdra has only electronic traction control....no limited slip rear diff...

They are slow off the line..Stock for stock your only chance is to holeshot him.

Your chances are good in the 1/8 and poor in the 1/4 he may run you down on top end.

But they sure can't get off the line like ours can.

D500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
&quotRANCHER&quot

Actually I think the Tudra has 381hp vs 380hp in the new Hemi's. Why Dodge didn't add a couple of extra horses, just so they could have more is a mystery to me.
Like George said, you gotta take them off the line or it's history if your stock.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Board of Directors

Garage

I can't wait to try on a Tundra. I got a little somethin' for 'em!
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
&quotCompa&ntildeero&quot

Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #8

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by "RANCHER":
Actually I think the Tudra has 381hp vs 380hp in the new Hemi's. Why Dodge didn't add a couple of extra horses, just so they could have more is a mystery to me.
Like George said, you gotta take them off the line or it's history if your stock.
They (dodge) is advertising the new hemi to have more torque than the tundra.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #9

Does anyone know how they (Dodge) are going to squeeze this extra muscle out of our Hemi? I hope it is the 5.7 or are they changing over to the 6.1?
Hemi317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
Board of Directors

Garage

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemi317:
Does anyone know how they (Dodge) are going to squeeze this extra muscle out of our Hemi? I hope it is the 5.7 or are they changing over to the 6.1?
Quote:
quote:Hemi engine updates: 380 hp / 404 lb-ft

40% of Ram buyers opt for the Hemi, which has gas mileage similar to the 4.7 liter V8 but much more power. For 2008, the Hemi was revised to improve engine breathing and gas mileage, with the addition of variable cam timing; a higher compression ratio; higher-flowing heads, intake, and exhaust; and an active intake manifold that switches from long runners to short runners, to optimize the engine for either better high-end horsepower or better low-end torque.

In addition, the MDS system has been updated so the engine will spend more time in four-cylinder mode, saving fuel. Numerous other hardware upgrades were implemented to build on the quality, reliability and durability reputation of the HEMI engine, including crankshaft structural upgrades, a dual-mass crankshaft damper, floating pin piston design, valve spring design, and oil pump capacity increase.

The results of all this work are a 10% boost in power to 380 hp (283 kW) and 404 lb-ft of torque (548 Nm), up from 345 hp and 375 lb-ft. At the same time, gas mileage increased by nearly 5%. The Dodge Ram R/T rear-wheel-drive model, with a short bed, regular cab, and 4.10:1 gears, can reach 60 mph in a mere 7 seconds, making it faster than the PT Cruiser GT or V6 Dodge Charger.

The variable cam timing (VCT) reduces the engine’s pumping work by closing the intake valve later, and increases the expansion process of the combustion event. This allows more work to be transferred to the crankshaft instead of being rejected out of the exhaust port as heat. VCT improves engine breathing, which improves engine efficiency and power.

The MDS system, which shuts off or restores four cylinders in a small fraction of a second, has, according to Chrysler estimates, saved nearly 100 million gallons of gasoline since 2005, along with reduced carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions of close to a million metric tons. When MDS is operating, it is indicated by a “Fuel Saver” readout in the 2009 Dodge Ram’s Electronic Vehicle Information Center.
http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2009-ram.html
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote