Hemi Truck Club banner

throwing it out there problems again (PLEASE)

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  boedacres 
#1 ·
Sorry guys but I need some advice.
I am just lost as to what is going on. let me start out It's a 04 and I am having a cold start issue that just wont get fixed no matter what I try.
needs to be over night stone cold when it acts up

starts to act up below freezing and the colder it get the worst it is. after its warm its fine. the truck has sat for three days at 20 or colder and when I went out this morning neg 3 deg I ran the battery dead trying to start it.AGAIN

it cranks just fine but it pops and sputters and backfires through the intake it wants to fire but don't catch. I'm going to do damage to something if I cant figure it out.

First I put in a coolant sender AGAIN that didn't help was told it needs plugs changed did that.
the old ones only had maybe 30k DIDNT HELP

talked to the dealer and they flashed it. DIDNT HELP

swapped the temp censer with my sons truck that DIDNT HELP the one buy the radiator. both 04
do I need a crank or cam sender or air censer

kind of limited what I can do at home
THANKS EVERYBODY

See less See more
#3 ·
Just checking but, does it happen to be a southern addition? :eek::facepalm: :eek:

Maybe, like me, it just doesn't like the cold. :avatar:

Sorry for not being very helpful. But hope it maybe made you laugh a little. :D

#5 ·
When it cranks and doesn't fire do you touch the accelerator pedal? If you are then it is probably being flooded. Try holding the pedal to the floor while you are cranking to activate the flood mode. This cuts the injectors and usually the engine will burst into life. Are you getting any codes? Sometimes a bad Crank Sensor won't give a code. Bad ground, weak battery will also cause problems. Might try putting a battery tender on it on cold nights.

#7 ·
Back firing into a composite intake manifold is always worrisome. I guess the question is how combustion is getting pass what should be a closed intake valve. Spark being electronically controlled makes it hard to believe it is off. Maybe something with lifters being stiff with the cold holding the valves open, but I find that a stretch unless you are using the wrong oil. Good luck...

#9 ·
I would think that oil should be good. How cold has it been there? I fired mine up after sitting a few very cold days below freezing without an issue. But ole Red is always a sweet heart. :)

#10 ·
Hi Boedacres,
Sounds like too much air. Do you have a gasket leaking somewhere? Is your cold start mixture rich enough to fire? There has to be a clod start circuit or en richer circuit in the fuel inj. To enrich for cold starts. Also you said it only happens ice cold is there possibly a vacuum leak somewhere that only acts up when the hoses are all contracted and/or all the vacuum acc. building up?
Just some thoughts to check.

Good luck and hope you get your ride sorted.

preachp

#11 · (Edited)
Pull the pcv valve out in the freezing weather and see if its stuck overnight open casing a lean intake backfire in freezing temperatures

When you pull it out it should rattle with just tipping it upside Down/right side up

There's a TSB for this condition also in freezing northern states

#15 ·
howdy Boed! might check the oil pressure switch also, im on the other side of the state and have noticed sometimes when it is really cold, the truck starts but the oil pressure doesnt move and sets off the check guages light in the dash, if it doesnt move when i start it i shut off and restart and it works just fine. i am running mobile 5000 oil in both trucks but different weights. another time when it was cold the 05 would fire up and in looking i think maybe the moisture in the air help the throttle body plate to stick shut, the drive by wire setup doesnt have the cable to brake the butterfly loose like the older vehicles.in other words is the backside of the throttle body dirty??? just some ideas , goood luck!!

#16 ·
the oil pressure did that to me last week and I freaked out I shut it off and checked the oil first and it was full restarted it and all good.
guess I need a new one:thumb:

howdy Boed! might check the oil pressure switch also, im on the other side of the state and have noticed sometimes when it is really cold, the truck starts but the oil pressure doesnt move and sets off the check guages light in the dash, if it doesnt move when i start it i shut off and restart and it works just fine. i am running mobile 5000 oil in both trucks but different weights. another time when it was cold the 05 would fire up and in looking i think maybe the moisture in the air help the throttle body plate to stick shut, the drive by wire setup doesnt have the cable to brake the butterfly loose like the older vehicles.in other words is the backside of the throttle body dirty??? just some ideas , goood luck!!

#17 ·
well the past few days I was down sick and then it snowed again the other night so didn't get to it. finally got on it today put the new pcv in the old one was real gummy but it still did some rattle any way it got a new one its 20 deg now and it fired up like normal going to clean out the throttle body later when someone gets home to lend a hand. I hope its all good now we will find out. Thanks guys

#19 ·
here we go again :cry2:went out this morning 10 deg. and it wont start.when it did start the oil pressure didn't read. I shut it off and restarted and it reads.now I know I need a switch but the question is does that have anything to do with cold start problem ?? :confused: that switch is $55 bucks.
It coughs and backfires in the intake acts like its flooded and blows out bluish smoke when it does fire

#20 ·
The switch should not have any bearing on the spark/fuel side of things but I wouldn't rule anything out

Backfiring thru the intake is a sure sign of a timing issue or a valve sticking and the flame front shooting back past valve either way its unusual since it runs ok once stared

Only other thing possible is a huge vacuum leak but you would notice that while it runs for sure without being there with a scanner on startup its kinda hard to say where to go from here

#21 ·
You have a couple things going on, what year is the truck? If it was a 03/04 I might even suggest checking for a broken valve spring....

#24 ·
Usually a broken spring gives some indication. I only bring it up because of the back firing which points somewhat at a valve not properly seated. IDK...

#23 ·
Oh yeah. It would not run smooth at all. And mine would not idle. I had to keep my foot on the pedal just to keep it running. That doesn't go away.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Thanks for the post NewBlue I read all of the posting on cold start and now you have me pulling my hair out thinking I have the Taylor shorty wires also and I had a cold starting problem last yr also but it was more towards the end of winter when it started. this yr. its impossible to start I have had to charge my battery over and over because I ran it almost dead.

Does any body know a part# on coils to save me some time???? :thumb:
Im going to try it wont hurt

#28 ·
I would just slap some long wires on it quick to make sure that is the problem. Do you still have your oem wires? I had exactly the symptoms you are describing in the second or third winter after putting on shorties. All I did was put on some MSD long wires and it has been perfect since. Coldest start this winter -27F no problems.

I would not keep the shorties, in my case they were the problem. If you read the linked thread closely SuperJay tells you why.

I suppose you could also have bad coils. If you want to get rid of the wires you can do the 06 coil conversion but you need 06 style valve covers and coil connectors. If you do end up replacing coils either style you may want to check Performance Distributors coils. Cheaper than MSD.

Good Luck! If you want my oem wires shoot me a PM.

#30 ·
IMO, convert to 6.1 dual coils and don't look back.

#31 ·
I would put your long wires back on to see if you are on the right track before throwing money at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.