The dramas of being a father.. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
tui

Garage
My daughter has decided she wants to head stateside for an adventure before she gets to old to enjoy such things.. She wants to work on a fair dinkum american cattle ranch. the lady is no greenhorn. She has worked around cattle most of her life and spent a year on a Australian cattle station in the remote Northen teritories. Not only is she a skilled horsewoman who breeds and breaks in her own horses, she is licensed to drive big rigs and tractors. She is no stranger to travel having spent a lot of time in Europe working with horses. As for style, the lady would not look out of place on a Paris fashion catwalk.
Apart from the issues of a green card, my question ladies and gentlemen is: Does anybody have any helpfull information to pass on to her please.
Thankyou.

tui is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
tui

Garage
My daughter has decided she wants to head stateside for an adventure before she gets to old to enjoy such things.. She wants to work on a fair dinkum american cattle ranch. the lady is no greenhorn. She has worked around cattle most of her life and spent a year on a Australian cattle station in the remote Northen teritories. Not only is she a skilled horsewoman who breeds and breaks in her own horses, she is licensed to drive big rigs and tractors. She is no stranger to travel having spent a lot of time in Europe working with horses. As for style, the lady would not look out of place on a Paris fashion catwalk.
Apart from the issues of a green card, my question ladies and gentlemen is: Does anybody have any helpfull information to pass on to her please.
Thankyou.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
Greg

Garage
Mark,
I would suggest she speak or go to the US Embassy and explain to them what she has in mind. They will explain what requirements that have to be met. Visiting as a tourist is one thing but over staying and working bring in other issues. Good luck...

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
I wish her the best of luck but don't have a clue which direction to send her. Like Greg said the US Embassy would be the place to start. Wish I knew someone in need of a hand. Most places around here aren't large enough to have more than one or two hands and they are filled with illegal Mexicans for the most part.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Queen Kima - Whemi BOD

Mark, when is she wanting to do this and for how long? I have a friend at work that lives in Oklahoma about an 1 1/2 north of me. Her and her husband have a ranch and are frequently looking for "a good hand". I'll talk to her Monday and see exactly what they are looking for.

Mrs.Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Board of Directors (Jay)

I suppose, sheep are out of the question.
2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
tui

Garage
Thanks for your input folks. We understand the problems associated with obtaining work visas etc and as an aside and in the nicest way possible, the "dangers" of getting the system involved and the entanglement of red tape that usually comes with talking with the bureaucracy.

My daughter, like many of us has a romantic image of a time long past. When cowboys roamed the plains herding cattle and fighting the elements and pesky rustlers and redskins. A bit like my dreams of days gone by when gas was fifty cents a gallon. (that dates me)

I have told her to just go for a holiday and visit the places that interest her and see what comes.

LOL Jay. New Zealand is often refered to as the land of 4 million sheep and I dont mean the animal variety either.

40 years ago NZ was a world leader in the export of sheepmeat and wool and our home grown industries produced wool garments of top quailty and affordable price. Now wool products produced here are to expensive for the average Joe to buy and we import cheap synthetic product from China to clothe our nation. The wool goes elsewhere in the world. As does our meat which is cheaper to buy in europe than in our own supermarkets. I miss the days of owning my lifestyle block of ten acres when I could grow my own.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
If she makes it to this part of the country Mark be sure to let us know. We'll have a GTG in her honor.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote