Tankless water heater or regular water heater? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #1
Director Emeritus

Garage
Peg and I have been planning everything from A to Z for our retirement home in the Great Smokies. Hope to start building sometime in the next 1-3 years.

One thing I could use some help on is deciding which would be better - a standard water heater or a tankless water heater?

It's just going to be the two of us, and the cabin will have two bedrooms and two baths.

Would like to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both. Appreciate your feedback!!

2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage
Peg and I have been planning everything from A to Z for our retirement home in the Great Smokies. Hope to start building sometime in the next 1-3 years.

One thing I could use some help on is deciding which would be better - a standard water heater or a tankless water heater?

It's just going to be the two of us, and the cabin will have two bedrooms and two baths.

Would like to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both. Appreciate your feedback!!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #3

Garage
Mark,

You may want to read these to help in your descision. I know several people who have purchased them and not liked how they operated.

The cost can be high, comparably and the savings not as great as they would have you think.

The new generation of traditional water heaters are light years above what they used to be even 10 years ago. And better reliablility that years past.

The electric tankless heaters for whole house useage become very expensive.

If you don't have natural gas available at your retirement home site, I would go with a high recovery electric and insulate all the hot water pipes. You will be surprised how that helps your energy costs.

Also if you have a well, the hardness of the water on a tankless element is a killer, as is sulfur content. Add the cost of a water softening system and maintenece along to that.

Good Luck.

Tankless Reviews

Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Director Emeritus

Garage
Outstanding George! That's exactly what I needed to know... and thanks for the link to Consumer Reports

Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
The natural gas tankless heaters aren't bad. A lot depends on where they are located. Most here are located outside the area they supply which is great for rapid hot water, but they don't look real good on the outside of the house. Unless they are really well insulated there is the potential of freezing. Neighbors found that our first cold snap. Like George said there have been a lot of folks install them and within a year or two have them removed..

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #6

We've had a tankless for over a year now and love it. Our gas bill went down!. THe only down side I can see is if you have hard water you need a water softener. And instillation is higher then a water tank.

rangerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

George x2 (or in other words )

Several years ago I had the pleasure of having a plumber and his wife for a client. Within the design of their home they wanted to go tankless water heater. So, this being new territory for me, I read up on everything about it. It's nice to have an unlimited hot water supply, but to what cost (I had to calc & spec an incredibly "LARGE" fuel supply to their unit to make it work)? Mark- go traditional, standard water heater and be sure to have in your plans a recirculating pump (as well as all the things George said - insulate).

BTW be sure to add a timer...
Old 02-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
Director Emeritus

Garage
Quote:
BTW be sure to add a timer...
For what purpose?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #9

The costs wouldn't be so high with Tankless if you also went Solar Panels. Yes I know they're expensive but it would keep your electricity bill AND gas bill down and depending on the setup you could even make your meter go backwards. One problem with the old tried and true is that it has to keep the water hot all the time, it doesn't know when you need it compared to a tankless which is on demand - like they have for kitchen sinks (which can also be setup for bathroom sink too).

As George recommended though it is a good idea to compare everything in Consumer Reports, you might also compare them on the net as well.

ArcticWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrHemi:
For what purpose?
The purpose of a timer would be to shut-down the heating coil during inactivity. Such as sleeping or heading out the door to work. It's great during the hotter times of the year and yet, highly advisable not to use during the colder times of year since it can take a "little" longer to recover the hot water. It's a "cost saving device". Small, but it still works in saving a little during the summer months. >>>> Read More