So I'm Close to Trading My '05 in for a '12, Tonneau Cover and Bed Extender Question - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

So I'm thinking of upgrading my '05 1500 QC Sport for a '12 1500 Crew Cab Laramie. I'm up in the air with what tonneau cover to go with. For years I rolled with an Undercover original tonneau and although it was a really well made cover, I got tired of having to take it off all the time to haul bigger item, pre-plan when to remove it etc. So last year I changed it out for a Retrax Pro. Great cover, very versatile but the cannister eats almost a foot of bed space. I got used to it with the 6'4" (I think that's the size) bed but no going with a Crew Cab and the bed shrinking to 5'7", I'm not immediately jumping to another Retrax style cover. I don't want to go back to a regular shell type cover and I don't want to go soft. My other alternative I guess is a folding style. I see that Undercover now has the Flex Cover, that looks pretty solid. Anyone have one? How is it? Does it lock?

On the bed extender, does the Laramie Crew Cab come with a bed extender or does that only come with one equipped with Rambox system?

Past: Silver '05 1500 Hemi Quad Cab 4x4 Thunderoad SLT, debadged, 160A alternator, Airaid MIT, Amsoil drop in filter, Borla Cat Back Exhaust, Taylor Shorties w/ NGK 5306, Line-X, Retrax Pro, Undercover Swing Case, 275/55 R20 General Grabber HTS, JVC head unit/Diamond Audio amps and speakers/JL Audio Stealthbox, Optima Yellow Top, Weathertech front liners

xJO98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

So I'm thinking of upgrading my '05 1500 QC Sport for a '12 1500 Crew Cab Laramie. I'm up in the air with what tonneau cover to go with. For years I rolled with an Undercover original tonneau and although it was a really well made cover, I got tired of having to take it off all the time to haul bigger item, pre-plan when to remove it etc. So last year I changed it out for a Retrax Pro. Great cover, very versatile but the cannister eats almost a foot of bed space. I got used to it with the 6'4" (I think that's the size) bed but no going with a Crew Cab and the bed shrinking to 5'7", I'm not immediately jumping to another Retrax style cover. I don't want to go back to a regular shell type cover and I don't want to go soft. My other alternative I guess is a folding style. I see that Undercover now has the Flex Cover, that looks pretty solid. Anyone have one? How is it? Does it lock?

On the bed extender, does the Laramie Crew Cab come with a bed extender or does that only come with one equipped with Rambox system?

Past: Silver '05 1500 Hemi Quad Cab 4x4 Thunderoad SLT, debadged, 160A alternator, Airaid MIT, Amsoil drop in filter, Borla Cat Back Exhaust, Taylor Shorties w/ NGK 5306, Line-X, Retrax Pro, Undercover Swing Case, 275/55 R20 General Grabber HTS, JVC head unit/Diamond Audio amps and speakers/JL Audio Stealthbox, Optima Yellow Top, Weathertech front liners

xJO98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

At this point after all the improvements they made why not wait and get a 2013?
2011 Challenger SRT8 Green with Envy 6spd

StanCab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
I'm using the extender I had in my 08 in my 11. Had to use some 1/2" spacers on each side to clear the Retrax Pro side rails. Sorry, no pictures.
Don't know about the 12's but the 11 Laramie Crew it wasn't standard.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Board of Directors

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by StanCab05:
At this point after all the improvements they made why not wait and get a 2013?
HTC MEMBER #2460
2005 Yellow Rumble Bee 4x4 Second Swarm #3248
2015 Peterbilt 389, 550hp Cummins ISX

AlbertaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote