Rockford vs JL - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 04-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #1

Rockford vs JL

Ok I know you guys with serious high end stuff say there is no comparison to JL components. But for the average joe such as me, who does not want an extremely loud and pounding system, just a nice crisp clean system, I really don't see the need to spend the difference in money.

After visiting two sound shops yesterday, one a JL dealer and the other a Rockford dealer, until you got to the very high end stuff and really cranked it up, the Rockford sounded just as good to me as the JL. I am going with Rockford because it is half the money, and suits my needs just fine.

I do agree though, once you get up there, that JL is some SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET stuff!

Am I missing something or is that pretty much the way it is?

RamNAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #2

Rockford vs JL

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RamNAir:
Ok I know you guys with serious high end stuff say there is no comparison to JL components. But for the average joe such as me, who does not want an extremely loud and pounding system, just a nice crisp clean system, I really don't see the need to spend the difference in money.

After visiting two sound shops yesterday, one a JL dealer and the other a Rockford dealer, until you got to the very high end stuff and really cranked it up, the Rockford sounded just as good to me as the JL. I am going with Rockford because it is half the money, and suits my needs just fine.

I do agree though, once you get up there, that JL is some SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET stuff!

Am I missing something or is that pretty much the way it is?
RamN,

I'm a little biased, and feel as though JL Audio makes among the best hardware out there. But, if I were you, I'd buy what YOU liked the sound of best (for the $$$), not what anyone recommended to you. In the comparison between RF and JL, audiophiles would go with JL 99.9% of the time. Why? Superior sound quality, construction and development - all stuff that makes itself apparent in the judging lanes or in front of a RTA microphone.

For the "average Joe", RF hardware is just great. It's the entire package that will make your system sound good - deck, amp and speakers/sub.
jimboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #3

Rockford vs JL

I like the RF amps but the speakers seem like they take too much power to make them sound good. Could have just been my setup though. Anything is better than stock!
Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #4

Rockford vs JL

I feel that I have even moved beyond JL. Their stuff IMO is just "ok". I feel that if you are willing to spend a bit more you can have a much much better product. Even within the same price range you can get an Arc Audio amp, which is a FAR better product that most amps on the market, including JL Audio.
Dan, the Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #5
Graphemi

Rockford vs JL

I know it is a bit old school, but I have always gone with Kicker. i had a 15" Solobaric and a ZR240 in a R/T and holy crap. I agree if you are going to compete, spend a couple of grand, but for me, I am going with a hidden 12" (under middle front seat), a Kicker 12 CVR and a KX550.2. Should be plenty to provide good quality (enough for highway driving with the windows down), and for around 550 bucks total. (Ebay professional speaking here, haha.) But, I will be the last to argue that they aren't the highest end stuff. But I am with you, Ramnair, I don't want to spend a couple of grand.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #6

Rockford vs JL

Alot of it has to do with the enclosure as well. Some subs just dont work well in the boxes required for trucks. They will sound OK, but not the way they were designed. Another option, especially for cramped spaces, is the Kicker L7. More of a high end speaker with the benifit that one is usually more than enough. They have the benifit of having real high output,very versital for any kind of box, but have the ablity to be put in very small enclosures and still sound great. I have had many other subs and after going to L7's, I will never run another sub. Just my 2 cents.
RTtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #7

Rockford vs JL

oh-----L7's can be found pretty inexpensive. Ebay is where I would start.
RTtim is offline   Reply With Quote