Orange Flames on gas stove - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Talk about a scratch your head and call you Sally! About six months ago we put in new appliances and our gas (propane) range has been burning great scents that time. Just this last Wednesday the wife tells me that the burners are burning with a orange tip on them. Hmmm never had gas burn with orange before. Well unless it’s been setting for a long time and you first light it and the dust burns off but, not all the time. So had the wife call the gas guys to come and take a look. My first thought was regulator or water in the line??? Well yesterday before I when to bed I turned the burner on and was a nice blue flame working the way it was suppose to. So called the wife had her cancel the gas guys and done deal. Ha Ha yeah right! The wife gets home that day after work and tries the burner and back to the orange tips again. After scratching the head a few more times I tell the wife to call them back in the morning.
Well the gas guy came out today and looked at the flame and scratched his head too. He said never seen this before except when you first light one if it has been setting for a long time but, goes to blue in a minute or so. Hmmm So he takes a picture and sends it to his boss and he doesn’t have a clue to make it burn that color. So he asked if I had a 20lbs tank that he could hook up and see if it was something in the gas. After that was hooked up and we burnt that for a good 5 minutes. Yup you guessed it! Still had the same orange tip to it. Damn what now? So the gas guy said well lets change the regulator and see if that is it seeing how it’s not the gas. Yup you guessed it! Still have the orange flame! Now the head scratching is getting to ware the hair is coming out. So the last thing he said was his boss said that it may be dust or particles in the gas line and to blow the lines out with air. The gas guy said he didn’t see how that would work and he would just live with it because the next thing that his boss would do is have me change the line and that would be big $$$ with the price of copper now. Gas guy said it’s not making soot so he would just live with it.
So I get to work tonight and thought I would see if anyone else on the web has had the same orange flame and typed in “propane gas flame orange” and sure enough found what I was looking for on the DIY page. One of the replies was very interesting! He talked about flame was blue all summer then winter time would change to orange and do that sometimes the same day. Then he said the magic word! Humidifier! He said they had got a new one ,one of those ultrasonic humidifier and that it uses a Ionic Silver filter to keep the machine from producing white dust. BINGO!! We just got one of them this year and started to use it 2 weeks ago. So it took a few days to get up to the setting on the Humidifier. So once the humidity dropped down before it came on is when I must have tuned it on to look at it and that must have been why it changed from orange to blue and back to orange over night. So I will turn it off tomorrow and see if that is it. God I love the Internet!! Oh and yes I need a Toupee now after all this!!! No I needed one before.

2011 Power Wagon Crew Cab
Deep Water Pearl Blue w/two tone Black and Red stripe/6 ton Winch/4.56 front and rear axle ratio/bilstein shocks on all 4 sides/Tru-Lok® Front and Rear Axles/Front Disconnecting Stabilizer Bar/remote starter/spray in bed liner/tow package/custom Fisher plow XtremeV SS/Magnaflow/Fog Lamps/Plasmaglow Fire & Ice/TomTom GPS/Rear Power Sliding Window/p windows/p driver seat/heated,p/tow mirrors/p steps/vent visors/Husky mud flaps/Wheel Flares/tonneau cover ...more to come

Member # 950

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth".

" Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers
What you do today, might Burn Your *** Tomorrow"

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #2

Talk about a scratch your head and call you Sally! About six months ago we put in new appliances and our gas (propane) range has been burning great scents that time. Just this last Wednesday the wife tells me that the burners are burning with a orange tip on them. Hmmm never had gas burn with orange before. Well unless it’s been setting for a long time and you first light it and the dust burns off but, not all the time. So had the wife call the gas guys to come and take a look. My first thought was regulator or water in the line??? Well yesterday before I when to bed I turned the burner on and was a nice blue flame working the way it was suppose to. So called the wife had her cancel the gas guys and done deal. Ha Ha yeah right! The wife gets home that day after work and tries the burner and back to the orange tips again. After scratching the head a few more times I tell the wife to call them back in the morning.
Well the gas guy came out today and looked at the flame and scratched his head too. He said never seen this before except when you first light one if it has been setting for a long time but, goes to blue in a minute or so. Hmmm So he takes a picture and sends it to his boss and he doesn’t have a clue to make it burn that color. So he asked if I had a 20lbs tank that he could hook up and see if it was something in the gas. After that was hooked up and we burnt that for a good 5 minutes. Yup you guessed it! Still had the same orange tip to it. Damn what now? So the gas guy said well lets change the regulator and see if that is it seeing how it’s not the gas. Yup you guessed it! Still have the orange flame! Now the head scratching is getting to ware the hair is coming out. So the last thing he said was his boss said that it may be dust or particles in the gas line and to blow the lines out with air. The gas guy said he didn’t see how that would work and he would just live with it because the next thing that his boss would do is have me change the line and that would be big $$$ with the price of copper now. Gas guy said it’s not making soot so he would just live with it.
So I get to work tonight and thought I would see if anyone else on the web has had the same orange flame and typed in “propane gas flame orange” and sure enough found what I was looking for on the DIY page. One of the replies was very interesting! He talked about flame was blue all summer then winter time would change to orange and do that sometimes the same day. Then he said the magic word! Humidifier! He said they had got a new one ,one of those ultrasonic humidifier and that it uses a Ionic Silver filter to keep the machine from producing white dust. BINGO!! We just got one of them this year and started to use it 2 weeks ago. So it took a few days to get up to the setting on the Humidifier. So once the humidity dropped down before it came on is when I must have tuned it on to look at it and that must have been why it changed from orange to blue and back to orange over night. So I will turn it off tomorrow and see if that is it. God I love the Internet!! Oh and yes I need a Toupee now after all this!!! No I needed one before.

Deep Water Pearl Blue w/two tone Black and Red stripe/6 ton Winch/4.56 front and rear axle ratio/bilstein shocks on all 4 sides/Tru-Lok® Front and Rear Axles/Front Disconnecting Stabilizer Bar/remote starter/spray in bed liner/tow package/custom Fisher plow XtremeV SS/Magnaflow/Fog Lamps/Plasmaglow Fire & Ice/TomTom GPS/Rear Power Sliding Window/p windows/p driver seat/heated,p/tow mirrors/p steps/vent visors/Husky mud flaps/Wheel Flares/tonneau cover ...more to come

Member # 950

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth".

Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Board of Directors "Phil"

Garage
great info thanks for sharing
tow/haul button/full power Leather seats/ HEMI embroidered headrests/Billet style "HEMI" door inserts and door pillar inserts/black DEE ZEE Nerf bars/ custom graphic stripes by westside vinyl & graphics/Tinted windows/billet(brushed)fuel door(locking)/HEMI with rams head embroidered floor mats/H.T.C. Trible window Logo's/Husky Liners Mudflaps/Sonar gen 3 taillights/Super chip programer
Shaved Tailgate handle w/Sir Michaels handle relocator.
True Duals w/Flow master 50 series (Delta Flows) and IMCO performance exhaust X pipe and LXP stainless tips.Mopar rear wheel well liners.
Billet "BIG MOUTH GRILLE" by Precision grilles,T-REX Billet bumper insert.,HAMBEK SIXPACK HOOD W/RamAIRBOX
Future mods: ??
view my website at http://philbonc.50megs.com/photo6.html
more pics from HEMI in the hills taken by KenandJenn 2005

2011 SRT8 Challenger 392 HEMI Inaugural edition #0925 of 1100 made for USA

GodsRodsHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Board of Directors

Garage
Good research. I guess gas burners and Hemis both like dry air.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs – Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover – some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Board of Directors (Jay)

2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #6

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
"Bob"

Garage
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Yup! It's the Humidifier! Tried the burner when I got home and had the orange tips on them. Turned off the Humidifier when I got home and went to bed. Got up and tried the burner and was the most beautiful blue you can have. Got a love the Internet!! Time for a beer! Well after work any way.

Member # 950