Old Accident 23 years ago - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 09-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #1

23 years to the day, I have reposted this again for new brothers and sisters that didn't get a chance to read and see what can happen when you make the wrong decisions in life. I am so glad to be here!!

I decided to put picture of my old accident from talking with others down in PF. This is something I am not proud of but, it will explain the occasional limp I have. This happened back 1989 it was a 1979 Z28 Camaro and was very fast. Not set up for ¼ mile but, top end. She would do around 170 mph. I know this because it was on radar on the interstate highway at 168 mph (no they did not catch me but heard it from my locale PD they where looking for someone going that fast) I know just plain DUMB!

On that night back in 1989 I was having a bad day and was drowning it with tequila (several bottles). After a good fight (mostly arguing, I was raised to never hit a girl) with the girl friend at the time and left her place to go home. Well on the way home I went by a State Trooper at 80-90 mph and did not wont to deal with them and hit the pedal. As I was coming into another small town from where I live there was the locale police at the locale dinner’s parking lot(can not out run a radio). As he was turning around to follow me, I hit the gas again and made a right turn and then a another left to head back home. On the strait away I was going to open it up a see-u-later-good-by. From what I can remember I saw the LP gas place and remembered that a turn was coming up and tried to down shift but, was going way to fast around 130 mph and made the very bad mistake of just touching the brakes and stated to slide and then nothing but BLACK.

When I came back to this world it was 3 days later, in the hospital with my mom and brother and sisters all around me. I said what going on and one of my sister pasted out. I remember looking at my brother and said I wish I had that affect on all the girls. The next day the team of doctors and surgeons came in and I remember one of them saying “this is the man that is not suppose to be here”. Wow you talk about a eye opener! Finding out what happened to me from them. A smashed hip, broken jaw, chest and face lacerations internal injury’s (a list as long as my arm) nerve damage from the hip injury and on and on. After a long stay in one of the most expensive hotels I have ever been in(the hospital) for 2 ½ months and about a year to learn how to walk again. The bill for the hotel stay was around $196,000.00 plus .

Well moving ahead some years of trying to find who I am now. I find the most wonderful person on the earth. With the love and understanding of what only a lady can give you in life. Life got a hole lot better. Trying to make a living on disability is not possible. So I had to figure out how to get paid from the neck up instead of the neck down. So back to school and then collage for this new field of computers. At the time every body and they brother had the same idea too.

Well a few more years and a opening for a dispatcher’s position came open and said to myself, “self why not, can not be that hard“. Well the first day I said “what have I got myself into” but, that was long ago now. With the benefits and health ins. I was able to get a new hip replacement and a new knee replacement and this was the start of yet another person in my life. I like this person, he enjoys life now! He is not so pent up on things in life but, to live life.

So what am I trying to say “DON’T DRINK and DRIVE“!

I’m not looking to hear sorry for any part of this. I’m looking for one of my Hemi brothers and sisters to think before you drink and get behind the wheel. That's all!

The 1st pic is what my mom handed to me in the hospital. I didn't know what it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_s.jpg (79.0 KB, 507 views)

2011 Power Wagon Crew Cab
Deep Water Pearl Blue w/two tone Black and Red stripe/6 ton Winch/4.56 front and rear axle ratio/bilstein shocks on all 4 sides/Tru-Lok® Front and Rear Axles/Front Disconnecting Stabilizer Bar/remote starter/spray in bed liner/tow package/custom Fisher plow XtremeV SS/Magnaflow/Fog Lamps/Plasmaglow Fire & Ice/TomTom GPS/Rear Power Sliding Window/p windows/p driver seat/heated,p/tow mirrors/p steps/vent visors/Husky mud flaps/Wheel Flares/tonneau cover ...more to come

Member # 950

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth".

" Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers
What you do today, might Burn Your *** Tomorrow"

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #2

23 years to the day, I have reposted this again for new brothers and sisters that didn't get a chance to read and see what can happen when you make the wrong decisions in life. I am so glad to be here!!

I decided to put picture of my old accident from talking with others down in PF. This is something I am not proud of but, it will explain the occasional limp I have. This happened back 1989 it was a 1979 Z28 Camaro and was very fast. Not set up for ¼ mile but, top end. She would do around 170 mph. I know this because it was on radar on the interstate highway at 168 mph (no they did not catch me but heard it from my locale PD they where looking for someone going that fast) I know just plain DUMB!

On that night back in 1989 I was having a bad day and was drowning it with tequila (several bottles). After a good fight (mostly arguing, I was raised to never hit a girl) with the girl friend at the time and left her place to go home. Well on the way home I went by a State Trooper at 80-90 mph and did not wont to deal with them and hit the pedal. As I was coming into another small town from where I live there was the locale police at the locale dinner’s parking lot(can not out run a radio). As he was turning around to follow me, I hit the gas again and made a right turn and then a another left to head back home. On the strait away I was going to open it up a see-u-later-good-by. From what I can remember I saw the LP gas place and remembered that a turn was coming up and tried to down shift but, was going way to fast around 130 mph and made the very bad mistake of just touching the brakes and stated to slide and then nothing but BLACK.

When I came back to this world it was 3 days later, in the hospital with my mom and brother and sisters all around me. I said what going on and one of my sister pasted out. I remember looking at my brother and said I wish I had that affect on all the girls. The next day the team of doctors and surgeons came in and I remember one of them saying “this is the man that is not suppose to be here”. Wow you talk about a eye opener! Finding out what happened to me from them. A smashed hip, broken jaw, chest and face lacerations internal injury’s (a list as long as my arm) nerve damage from the hip injury and on and on. After a long stay in one of the most expensive hotels I have ever been in(the hospital) for 2 ½ months and about a year to learn how to walk again. The bill for the hotel stay was around $196,000.00 plus .

Well moving ahead some years of trying to find who I am now. I find the most wonderful person on the earth. With the love and understanding of what only a lady can give you in life. Life got a hole lot better. Trying to make a living on disability is not possible. So I had to figure out how to get paid from the neck up instead of the neck down. So back to school and then collage for this new field of computers. At the time every body and they brother had the same idea too.

Well a few more years and a opening for a dispatcher’s position came open and said to myself, “self why not, can not be that hard“. Well the first day I said “what have I got myself into” but, that was long ago now. With the benefits and health ins. I was able to get a new hip replacement and a new knee replacement and this was the start of yet another person in my life. I like this person, he enjoys life now! He is not so pent up on things in life but, to live life.

So what am I trying to say “DON’T DRINK and DRIVE“!

I’m not looking to hear sorry for any part of this. I’m looking for one of my Hemi brothers and sisters to think before you drink and get behind the wheel. That's all!

The 1st pic is what my mom handed to me in the hospital. I didn't know what it was.

Deep Water Pearl Blue w/two tone Black and Red stripe/6 ton Winch/4.56 front and rear axle ratio/bilstein shocks on all 4 sides/Tru-Lok® Front and Rear Axles/Front Disconnecting Stabilizer Bar/remote starter/spray in bed liner/tow package/custom Fisher plow XtremeV SS/Magnaflow/Fog Lamps/Plasmaglow Fire & Ice/TomTom GPS/Rear Power Sliding Window/p windows/p driver seat/heated,p/tow mirrors/p steps/vent visors/Husky mud flaps/Wheel Flares/tonneau cover ...more to come

Member # 950

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth".

Old 09-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #3

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_s.jpg (92.5 KB, 502 views)

Member # 950

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #4

From the side after it was moved to my Uncle's house.#3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_s.jpg (83.5 KB, 484 views)

Member # 950

Old 09-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #5

This is the only pic that I have of her before the acc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4_s.jpg (47.2 KB, 482 views)

Member # 950

Old 09-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
WOW Mark!!! It's a wonder your still with us.
Most of us have done stupid things in our lives. Like drinking and driving. But have been a little lucker than you were. I know I sure don't do it any more, but there was a time.
Know everyone know why you don't get around as good on some days.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #7

Brave thing you did, posting these, and fessing up to a mistake. Poor judgment, even when one isn't drinking can change your life in an instant.

Good for you that you lived, and you learned and for trying to help others learn without having to have lived through it.

'03 1500 Ram Quad Cab, 4 x 4 Laramie package - Beautiful Black - Umm, does Synth. Oil Count as a Mod?
Flowmaster 40 - GRRRR. 3rd Strike CAI.... hmm.... what's next?

My '03 Truck 2006-2011/My New Challenger

http://www.lovemyoldhome.com
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #8

WOW!!! you are lucky,and we are lucky to have you.
2003 Dodge Ram 1500,Black,SLT,QC 4x4,3:92, Off Road Hemi. Sold.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500,Black,SLT,QC,4x4,3:92,HEMI

Ice-Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
Board of Directors

Garage
Mark, you had a guardian angel riding with you that night. It is a miracle you lived through it. Absolutely never get behind the wheel after you have been drinking. Even "a little" is too much to have and then drive. Cab rides are dirt cheap, gang. Even if the next day you have to take a second cab to where you parked it.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs – Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover – some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Director Emeritus

Garage
Definitely an eye opening thread to those who think it's not going to happen to them.
Thank you for posting a part of your past for us. You've done good my friend... and I'm glad that you're with us to have this conversation
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote