Need a little Help with E-Fan dilemma.... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Long time to see.......First of all I would like to say it been way to long since I have been around and that I have missed all of my Hemi Family.

As some of you know I installed the Viper Fan kit on my Hemi back before the Gatlinburg TN Rally a few years ago. And some of you are aware of the issues I have had with the fan running to long and draining the batter, frying relays, and so on. I currently have the fan wired up to a Flex-A-Lite Temp controller and only have it wired to the low speed. Well, this week I was fortunate enough to purchase a used travel camper, and while towing it home I noticed that the Low speed on the fan wasn't going to cut it. So, with all that said here is what I am looking for. Can someone provide me some info on how I could hook this fan up with either one of the 2 options listed below.
I would prefer option 1 if at all possible.

1. Fan is connected to Temp Controller and wired to low speed so that it comes on and goes off as needed for everyday driving. Plus add in a switch so that I can manually override the temp controller so I can switch the fan into high speed and leave it at high speed while towing.

2. Remove the Temp controller and just have the fan auto come on when the truck is running, and have a way to switch to High speed while towing.

Thanks in advnace for any help or suggestions you might be able to provide.

gottahemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #2

Long time to see.......First of all I would like to say it been way to long since I have been around and that I have missed all of my Hemi Family.

As some of you know I installed the Viper Fan kit on my Hemi back before the Gatlinburg TN Rally a few years ago. And some of you are aware of the issues I have had with the fan running to long and draining the batter, frying relays, and so on. I currently have the fan wired up to a Flex-A-Lite Temp controller and only have it wired to the low speed. Well, this week I was fortunate enough to purchase a used travel camper, and while towing it home I noticed that the Low speed on the fan wasn't going to cut it. So, with all that said here is what I am looking for. Can someone provide me some info on how I could hook this fan up with either one of the 2 options listed below.
I would prefer option 1 if at all possible.

1. Fan is connected to Temp Controller and wired to low speed so that it comes on and goes off as needed for everyday driving. Plus add in a switch so that I can manually override the temp controller so I can switch the fan into high speed and leave it at high speed while towing.

2. Remove the Temp controller and just have the fan auto come on when the truck is running, and have a way to switch to High speed while towing.

Thanks in advnace for any help or suggestions you might be able to provide.

gottahemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #3

Garage
There's no need to have the fan run all the time. Mine kicks on at about 210 (the 'stat is a 203). As long as you're moving @ 30+, you don't need the fan at all. The forward motion will move more air than the fan ever could. If it's running warm/hot under those conditions, you have a different problem.

You should wire the fan so it's switched. That is, it only runs with the key. That way, it can't run the battery down. As for fried relays, it sounds like the ones you used weren't heavy enough.

I think Flex-A-Lite has a two-stage controller (comes with the 183 kit maybe?). I don't know what the Viper fan draws, but if needed, you could put the high-speed side on a separate 70A relay. That should be more than enough.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

I don't know if the flex-a-lite is a 2 speed controller, but that is what you need, or else wire a switch to manually go from low to high fan.

I have heard the viper fan is a real hog on high, but you can get around this by having your fan controller relay operate a second higher amp relay instead of operating the fan itself.

If you are electrically savvy, a good way to find circuit ideas is to search google images instead of just google. Many of these images link to forums and some explanations.

If not, post info on your fan controller model and maybe someone can help.

MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Airaid CAI, Superchips 3865,
Homebrew E-fan, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust with merge Y & 22"
Magnaflow SIDO, Sonnax pressure booster, Stant 190 stat, Fastman TB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Blue: 1988 W100 4X4 Standard Cab Longbox 318 188,000 miles
==================================================
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

You need to use continuous duty solenoids. That what I have, and have not popped one yet.

You can still use a fan controller, just have the controller flip on the continuous duty solenoid, and have the fan on the continuous duty solenoid.

Big_Bad_Dodge4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #6

Garage
The power for my e-fan is controlled by the ignition switch through the power window circuitry in my Hemi, which has the same amperage requirements as the fan. That said, I don't like power windows or electric locks so I don't have any...

Gila Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #7

Not too sure but I have a DCC FK60 controller that many use with success. Not sure on the two speeds but when I had it on my 08 with the black magic it worked awesome, till the motor went on the fan! LOL

dr.dred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #8

As long as you are moving...... Been there.
It's a cool gadget for running light or at the track towing is another matter. I had nothing but trouble with mine from the first time I towed my boat home from the dealer. It also burned a buss bar under the dash. My quick and easy fix it was to Disco-Necked the dern thing and re-enstall my engine fan. Oh yea, that was with the 2004.

2012 Deep Cherry Red Pearl QC 4X4
My site. http://getdanet1.tripod.com/index.html

God bless & protect our troops.

Hemi Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote