Hemi Truck Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

life as a cop

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  boedacres 
#1 ·
As I sit here watching footage of officers all over the country being spit on, threatened, attacked, called murderers and mercilessly berated by protesters, I find myself questioning my faith in humanity. I have spent over a decade of my life risking it to protect the very people who now spit in the faces of my brothers and sisters. I have taken murderers, rapists and child violators off of your streets. I have missed out on celebrating countless holidays and birthdays with m...y children, none of which I will ever get back. I have purchased gifts for a family that had every package under their tree stolen in a burglary on Christmas Eve. I have feared for my life more times than I can count, but never afforded the luxury of retreating from the danger. I have bled and cried and had the true horror that you inflict on one another permanently stamped in my mind, to carry around for the rest of my life. I have talked the knife out of a suicidal man’s hand, and removed a gun from a 12 year old boy’s waistband. I have broken my foot, broken my hand, and torn apart both shoulders. I have administered CPR on a dying child in my arms, and had to inform people of the loss of a loved one after having held their had and looked them in the eye as they took their last breath. And I nearly lost my life after being stabbed while saving an elderly couple from being murdered. Do I deserve to be spit on? Called a murderer? Have to stand silent as you scream “**** YOU!” in my face? Of course not, you say? You say I’m a “good one?” Well, let me tell you, I am not special. I am not unique. I am the norm. I am the job. -TM

See less See more
#2 ·
For 37 years I proudly wore a badge and like you and other officers I have missed out on so many event's in my family's lives, event's that can never be recreated but it was a career that I chose. It even cost me a marriage because she could not deal with the stress of if I was going to walk in the front door at 0600.

And from my perspective the general public wants nothing to do with the police until the crap in THEIR life is going so bad that they can't handle it and then call the police to handle it or clean up their mess.

I supervised a Highway Enforcement Unit and part of our duty was to handle and investigate motor vehicle collisions and fatalities. I won't go into gory specific's but I have been on a fatality scene where my boots have stuck to the concrete because of the blood.

For the most part a lot of first responder's have a somewhat dark sense of humor it's the only way many of us could keep what little bit of sanity we had left.

During my career I've been lucky and saved a few people who wanted to commit suicide and I've lost a few, I've also attended way to many police officers funerals who because they did not want to reach out to somebody just to talk to them because of being perceived as being weak chose to commit suicide.

I could go on but I'll get off my soap box now and go quietly to my sofa with my cup of coffee and enjoy my retirement and to all my brother officer's and deputies stay safe and watch your 6.

#3 ·
:thumb: I have nothing against any officer of the law! IMO you do a damn good job with all the crazy people out there. To many gangster people say * the police but I bet you there the first ones to call and then complain. It is unreal for sure how disrespectful people are. Black Friday last year at walmart I was leaning against a pole on one of the isles and an officer came over and leaned against the other side. I was shocked at what he said next lol. "Glad I'm not the only one carrying more than one firearm in here right now with all these crazy people around" I was stunned due to the fact that I had 2 9mm glocks on me lol. We talked for a bit then he had to run to a crazy people incident. Cool cop IMO very chill. There are some people that just need a good old school taste of justice lol. Cops have a very hard and important job IMO that I personally would not be able to handle keep up the good work guys/gals and enjoy retirement for the rest.

#7 ·
Nothing but total respect for all law enforcement several relatives are with the RCMP. Only dealing with officers I've ever had were traffic stops they have always been nothing but professional.. obey the laws don't be a *** and everyone will get along fine !! you can't please all the people all of the time

#8 ·
It's sad that we now have a society that see policemen as wrong rather than if the criminal wasn't doing what he/she was doing they wouldn't have been in a situation to have dealings with police. I mean, since when do criminals have more rights than policemen and victims!!!! It's insane.

#9 ·
The Political influence for power is the answer.
I will give some opinions as I see them
1. I will not call a policeman unless absolutely necessary by law
2. Police are not hire to protect and serve in the sense most people think that means
3. Police are not asking you questions to help you, they are doing their best to build case against you so they can arrest you
4. They can legally lie to you
5. They will shoot your dog
6. It is ok for them to film you but you can't film them
7. They will put there knee in your back and twist your arm behind you and if you pull back (a natural reflex) they will charge you with resisting arrest, they will charge you with everything in the book hoping some will stick, trying to make you into a bad guy.
8. They walk all over your rights while lie that they have the right
9. They will plant evidence
10. They will beat the crap out of you and everone looks the other way

That is just 10 things to come to mind. Sure most policeman have good hearts, and do crap we don't want to have to deal with, and half the crap they shouldn't, this world is so screw up trying to be politicaly correct but thats anothet subject...

I have never been in jail or harass my law enforcement. so I am not a bad boy complaining, just stating the facts.

The police departments are run by mentality of power, not servitude. Yes the people in St Louis are being foolish, that is what the news shows want you to see. Makeing them into bad guys discounts the problem. so now it will not be discussed

Yes I have a problem with police and how you treat people.
For the good policeman out there this how you are seen as a whole, I dont dislike police, I respect police, and I would aid a policeman if needed. But that doesn't change my distrust and fear I have of you.

#10 ·
"Just stating facts"----I call B.S.!!!!! Sorry I can't and won't get into a pi**ing match with you on the computer, but after over 40 years in LE I hope you know what I think of your comments.
Jay

#11 ·
Knight express : You are entitled to your opinion and I as well as many others have defended your right to have that opinion but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it . In my opinion many of your statements are flawed and I will not be an internet commando and debate them with you here ,but once again it is YOUR opinion.

#13 ·
I never say I did not respect LEO, I work with them every day. You ask a question I gave you answer. Please tell me which of the above you are calling BS on, I have had numerous policeman as roommates, I have gone out partying with them, to their homes.

Did I say it was done every time? no. does it happen yes. does it get on the news? yes. You ask why people felt the way they do, I gave you a response.

And by the way it is a crime to spit on a policeman, a serious one in fact, to a civilian like me it is unlawful for me to take any action. The same person who would spit on you would spit on me, it is the same person who would spit on the flag, burn the flag, but line up for benefits.

Do not misread my post as being mean or hateful, it was not written in that mood. It was just stating facts, Your police chiefs and mayors have taken you down this road that now the american public is taking a second look at your tactics.

The days of the police in the black and white films of long are be replaced of images of cops on top of armored vehicles pointing the military weapons at citizens. Ask the Police chief of Seattle how that worked during the riots of his city. He resigned after that cause he realized it was such a bad mistake.

I am not going to try to change your mind if you think what listed is bull. You work in a profession that you have chosen and have your own image, and i realize you put your heart and sole into your work. But you ask why some people are treating law enforcement with such low esteem. So I just gave you some facts that common people see as reason not to trust your law enforcement. It is a small percentage that act the way you have subscribed, but the news has a way of showing the few piles of crap and make it look like everyone feels that way.

I am sorry if I got your blood boiling, I was not intending to criticize your personally, Again just stating facts of why people are falling out of love with LEO

#15 ·
My take on the whole thing is 2 fold.

First you have an entity at work here that loves to stir things up and point fingers away from where they should be. While trying to change this great country into the sespool they think it should be. And morals, God, and the law (which is represented by all LE) goes against their plans.

The second thing is, if you can't win a head on fight, they go around the back way. I'm talking about affirmative action. When that crap started it was a recipe for what is going on today. OK the reason for it, on the surface looked legit enough. But why did the testing standards need to be lowered for those individuals? And why would or should a candidate who got a lower score get in and then make the same pay as the other guy who scored higher and did better? This was the beginning of the decline of the overall force. "Why should I work as hard as I do when that guy gets the same pay for less!

Now don't get me wrong I have many LE friends. And all the ones I know are the best at what they do. But they and myself have heard the comment's and witnessed the traits.

Now look at the moral decline in this country and add the above into the equation and BAM! You have Ferguson.

#16 ·
I feel it would be best to end my part of the discussion, I never meant to get to your last nerve.

For some reason you seem to be reading something I am not writing, You ask a the question why are people not treating police the way they use to. I gave some of the reasons.

You seem to have taken this as a personal attack which was not at all intended, some of you seem to think I do not think police are worthy which is not what I wrote. As mentioned my life is spent during work and personal time with LEO, so if I thought you were a bunch of AH I would not spend so much time with you.

My communications skills evidently are lacking since it was misread by more than one. I think you for the prayers, and that is not a joke , a swipe, are sarcastic

#17 ·
I can't believe what I've been reading..... Are there bad cops? Yes! But if you take any 10 people off the street you can bet there will be a bad on in the bunch. The liberal media only shows what fits their agenda. To boost their ratings and cause a reaction. There are 10's of thousands of law enforcement officers in this country and to say cops are bad and not to be trusted is total lack of understanding. Not everyone is cut out to be a cop. Even some cops should be doing something else. On the other hand if you had to deal with the lowest people in the land, killers, drug addicts, drunks mentally deranged you too would learn to be distrustful on many people that you have to deal with to protect the population as a whole.
Just like we see all the time where some Minister or Preacher has been abusing someone or molesting a child. Does that make all men of God bad? I think not.
Those rioting and burning are black for the most part. Does that make all black people bad? If anyone allows their opinion of any group to be based on the actions of a few they are childish, narrow minded and uneducated about life.
When I came back from VietNam we were spit on, tormented and called everything imaginable. Why? Because the media had nothing better to do than portray all military as evil child killers. Did they show the VC packing explosives on a 5 year old and telling them the Americans had candy to give them? No. Did they report that these children would go to American soldiers and detonate the explosives to kill us? No. Did American soldiers have to kill kids to keep from being killed? Yes! And the mental toll is something that they have to live with daily. What is often seen in the media is about as far from reality as anyone can imagine.
Unless you have walked in the shoes of a Law Enforcement Officer you have no idea. Try leaving home every morning and you family not knowing if you will come home at night. Anyone that has so much disrespect for any First Responder, be it Firefighter, Police Officer or anyone that has to cope with the tragedies of life day after day is in need of an attitude adjustment and I don't mean beating. An in-depth evaluation of morals and fairness is desperately needed.
I pray you never find yourself in a situation where your life depends on some worthless cop to protect you and your family. They will do their best even if they know it wont be appreciated.

#18 ·
I just happened to see this tonight.................Wish I could have posted the picture.

An Officer’s Life
*You wonder why he pulled you over and gave you a ticket for speeding,
He just worked an accident where people died because they were going too fast.
*You wonder why that cop was so mean,
He just got done working a case where a drunk driver killed a kid.

*You work for 8 hours,
He works for up to 18 hours.

*You drink hot coffee to stay awake,
The cold rain in the middle of the night keeps him awake.

*You complain of a "headache," and call in sick,
He goes into work still hurt and sore from the guy he had to fight the night before.

*You drink your coffee on your way to the mall,
He spills his as he runs Code 3 to a traffic crash with kids trapped inside.

*You make sure you're cell phone is in your pocket before you leave the house,
He makes sure his gun is clean and fully loaded and his vest is tight.

*You talk trash about your "buddies" that aren't with you,
He watches his buddy get shot at, and wounded in front of him.

*You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls,
He walks down the highway looking for body parts from a traffic crash.

*You complain about how hot it is,
He wears fifty pounds of gear and a bullet proof vest in July and still runs around chasing crack heads.

*You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong,
He runs out before he gets his food to respond to an armed robbery.

*You get out of bed in the morning and take your time getting ready,
He gets called out of bed at 2 am after working 12 hours and has to be into work A.S.A.P. for a homicide.

*You go to the mall and get your hair redone,
He holds the hair of some college girl while shes puking in the back of his patrol car.

*You're angry because your class ran 5 minutes over,
His shift ended 4 hours ago and there's no end in sight.

*You call your girlfriend and set a date for tonight,
He can't make any plans because on his off days he still gets called back into work.

*You yell and scream at the squad car that just past you because they slowed you down,
He's in the driver seat of the squad car, going to cut somebody out of their car.

*You roll your eyes when a baby cries in public,
He picks up a dead child in his arms and prays that it was crying.

*You criticize your police department and say they're never there quick enough,
He blasts the siren while the person in front of him refuses to move while talking on their cell phone.

*You hear the jokes about fallen officers and say they should have known better,
He is a hero and runs into situations when everyone else is running away in order to make sure no one else gets hurt and loses his life doing it.

*You are asked to go to the store by your parents, you don't,
He would take a bullet for his buddy without question.

*You sit there and judge him, saying that it's a waste of money to have them around,
Yet as soon as you need help he is there.

#19 ·
Another thought....the recent death in New York city where the white officer choked a black man... Did he resist and not do what he was told? Yes...did the media show that his Supervisor, a black woman was there and witnessed the entire thing? No. Did she and another supervisor on the scene testify to the Grand Jury, under immunity from prosecution? Yes. Was that covered? No. If you base what you believe on half truths seen in the news you are naive and in for a rude awakening at some point.

A question for you...you said you have partied with cops, gone to their homes. Why would you associate with someone you have such a low opinion of?

#21 ·
Thanks Doug:CopLightBar1::thumb: Im not a cop but always wanted to be(long story) as to why im not but I come from a long family of police. My nephew is currently a saint Louis county officer and has been at Ferguson many nights. I have two uncles and my father ,brother, all(Retired) and nephew are cops and have a niece currently working with the county police. I can tell you stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.