Let's talk about the "F" word... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Director Emeritus

As in Ford.

I'm not a big fan of the Ford pickup, I think they are priced well to sell, the styling is too "boxy" and the interior is not to my liking. But, from what little research I've done they have got themselves a winner with their new Eco-boost engines. In the F-150 (for example) it provides 365 hp and 420 ft.lbs. torque and that's from a twin-turbo 3.5 liter V6. Mileage is 16 city and 22 highway and it out-performs the Hemi 5.7 and Chevy 6.2.

Any thoughts?

'04 2500 SLT 4X4 QC/SB 3:73 - Weathertech floor liners & vent visors - Fisher 8'HD plow - DELTA tool box - Back Rack - Whelen Guardian - Flowmaster 50 Series HD cat-back system

HEMI-PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Director Emeritus

As in Ford.

I'm not a big fan of the Ford pickup, I think they are priced well to sell, the styling is too "boxy" and the interior is not to my liking. But, from what little research I've done they have got themselves a winner with their new Eco-boost engines. In the F-150 (for example) it provides 365 hp and 420 ft.lbs. torque and that's from a twin-turbo 3.5 liter V6. Mileage is 16 city and 22 highway and it out-performs the Hemi 5.7 and Chevy 6.2.

Any thoughts?

'04 2500 SLT 4X4 QC/SB 3:73 - Weathertech floor liners & vent visors - Fisher 8'HD plow - DELTA tool box - Back Rack - Whelen Guardian - Flowmaster 50 Series HD cat-back system

Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #3

I've never had any real problem with Ford, the difference between me getting one over my 07 Ram was price. Ford in general has been a little more expensive then most (especially after the bail outs), but the new ecoboost seems very useful/powerful/economical all in one shot. My only curiosity is maintenance and durability of the ecoboost. I.E. what's going to be the cost of a 50k mile service? 100k? Nothing about turbos are cheap. I will say for the sport appearance I love the look of Ram. But Ford's "boxy" style still calls to me as a rugged bad *** truck. 92-96/97 era was my favorite style of Ford.

Chevy I can't speak of in high regard at all it seems. I really can't think of anyone I know that had GM after '86 that didn't have horrid electrical problems. In terms of mechanics I thought they have done well, but all mechanical components these days incorporate some form of electronics (which still dooms them to this day).

In truth if I lived in an area the needed 4wd I probably would have gotten a Ford, but here in Sunny FL a clean looking Ram running down A1A looks damn good.

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

Your right Steve, its an incredible engine. I give credit where credit is due and Ford is doing some great things. They would be a close second choice for me after Ram. They are very ugly though on the outside, except for the Raptor. What do you mean by "out-perform" though?
2011 Challenger SRT8 Green with Envy 6spd

StanCab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by StanCab05:
What do you mean by "out-perform" though?
Stock vs Stock: F150 eco vs Ram 1500 hemi, Ford pretty much out runs, out tows, etc. Better then Dodge and Chevy across the board. In the upper range of the power band is where Dodge begins to close the gap in speed and towing.

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Always been a "Off again - On again" Ford fan since I learned to drive and I still love the Mopars. I guess the imprinting, I went through, when my Dad's Chevy truck about killed us stuck with me. Currently, I am "Off again" due mainly to style. In a word..."Yuck". They do hold an ace card with the Eco-Boost. I will agree with "Cost of service" and add what mods can be done to improve performance? My bet is none due mainly to the engineering. I could be wrong... .
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Director Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by StanCab05:
Your right Steve, its an incredible engine. I give credit where credit is due and Ford is doing some great things. They would be a close second choice for me after Ram. They are very ugly though on the outside, except for the Raptor. What do you mean by "out-perform" though?
If you search Youtube for videos on the Eco-boost you'll find a lot of good ones that explain the extreme torture-testing they performed on one particular Eco-boost engine. I say "one particular" because they actually talk about the engine number, which tends to make me think that it may be a one-off precisely built with high expectations engine (meaning it is perhaps much more perfect than what their production run engines would be).

Again, I'm not a big Ford fan but just find myself impressed with what I've seen and read. If Dodge had an equal V6 with twin turbos with that mileage and performance I would trust their design and may be tempted to go with it. I may test drive the 150 with the Eco-boost but my heart still remains happy with the Rams' reputation.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #8

I bet repairs and maintenance is costly.

I see lots of folks modding the eco-boost engines/tuning/turbos/etc in the future, resulting in failures snuck under warranty coverage, followed by a pcm encryption like chrysler has on their newer trucks.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

Guy at work just bought a new DORF, he got a V8 because they wanted insane $ for the ecoboost. Even now, you can buy a lot of gas for that money.

MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Airaid CAI, Superchips 3865,
Homebrew E-fan, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust with merge Y & 22"
Magnaflow SIDO, Sonnax pressure booster, Stant 190 stat, Fastman TB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Blue: 1988 W100 4X4 Standard Cab Longbox 318 188,000 miles
==================================================
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
I'm betting maintenance issues will kill any savings. Turbos, especially the first couple of years of production are inherently expensive to maintain.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote