Kindness.... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

So yesterday, when I was walking to my truck at the BX, I saw an older gentleman in the parking lot. He was standing next to his motorcycle, in full gear, with jumper cables stretched out from the bike. I saw several people drive by as I was walking to my truck. I drove by with my truck and saw he was still standing there so I asked if he needed a jump. He said "that would be great". He seemed truly greatful. Just the day prior, there was an older woman in the same situation that I had helped out. I noticed the same look on both of their faces. The look of shock I guess. So I asked the gentleman why he looked so shocked and that led to a long conversation. He told me he had probably seen 15-20 cars go by and I was the first one to stop. He said he was a little shocked that I pulled up, from the look of my truck and my age. (27) I explained to him that I came from a small town and helping stranded drivers is the normal where I come from. It really got me thinking about the society that we live in today. Not all of society however. Judging by what I know of you guys, most of you would have stopped as well. Just like me, you wouldn't have given it a second thought. To me it is like saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes....just second nature. I know my home town is still this way, but now I live in Phoenix. I don't expect a place like Phoenix to ever be quite like my home town because the population of Phoenix is like 1.4 million versus the 1200 people in my home town. However, just because it is rare that you will ever see any person a second time (unless they are your neighbor) that doesn't mean that kindess should disappear. I believe in a phrase that comes from a movie, Pay it Forward. I believe that you should be kind and respectful and help out where you can, and in return that person should feel inspired to "Pay it Forward". You never know, some day that help may just come back to you. Just a thought that I wanted to share.

"The pain of a poor product lasts far longer than the thrill of a good price."

2007 HEMI Ram 1500, 4x4, Quad Cab, ST - SOLD
2006 Ram SRT-10, Quad Cab - SOLD
2007 HEMI Ram 1500, 4x4, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition......work in progress.

Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #2

So yesterday, when I was walking to my truck at the BX, I saw an older gentleman in the parking lot. He was standing next to his motorcycle, in full gear, with jumper cables stretched out from the bike. I saw several people drive by as I was walking to my truck. I drove by with my truck and saw he was still standing there so I asked if he needed a jump. He said "that would be great". He seemed truly greatful. Just the day prior, there was an older woman in the same situation that I had helped out. I noticed the same look on both of their faces. The look of shock I guess. So I asked the gentleman why he looked so shocked and that led to a long conversation. He told me he had probably seen 15-20 cars go by and I was the first one to stop. He said he was a little shocked that I pulled up, from the look of my truck and my age. (27) I explained to him that I came from a small town and helping stranded drivers is the normal where I come from. It really got me thinking about the society that we live in today. Not all of society however. Judging by what I know of you guys, most of you would have stopped as well. Just like me, you wouldn't have given it a second thought. To me it is like saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes....just second nature. I know my home town is still this way, but now I live in Phoenix. I don't expect a place like Phoenix to ever be quite like my home town because the population of Phoenix is like 1.4 million versus the 1200 people in my home town. However, just because it is rare that you will ever see any person a second time (unless they are your neighbor) that doesn't mean that kindess should disappear. I believe in a phrase that comes from a movie, Pay it Forward. I believe that you should be kind and respectful and help out where you can, and in return that person should feel inspired to "Pay it Forward". You never know, some day that help may just come back to you. Just a thought that I wanted to share.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Board of Directors "Phil"

Garage
tow/haul button/full power Leather seats/ HEMI embroidered headrests/Billet style "HEMI" door inserts and door pillar inserts/black DEE ZEE Nerf bars/ custom graphic stripes by westside vinyl & graphics/Tinted windows/billet(brushed)fuel door(locking)/HEMI with rams head embroidered floor mats/H.T.C. Trible window Logo's/Husky Liners Mudflaps/Sonar gen 3 taillights/Super chip programer
Shaved Tailgate handle w/Sir Michaels handle relocator.
True Duals w/Flow master 50 series (Delta Flows) and IMCO performance exhaust X pipe and LXP stainless tips.Mopar rear wheel well liners.
Billet "BIG MOUTH GRILLE" by Precision grilles,T-REX Billet bumper insert.,HAMBEK SIXPACK HOOD W/RamAIRBOX
Future mods: ??
view my website at http://philbonc.50megs.com/photo6.html
more pics from HEMI in the hills taken by KenandJenn 2005

2011 SRT8 Challenger 392 HEMI Inaugural edition #0925 of 1100 made for USA

GodsRodsHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #4

Garage
Good job! We need more "small town" in this country.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Kyle - I was born and raised in Phoenix. It really has changed over the years and I am confidant to say "Not for the better." I'll come right out and say that you "nailed" one of a half dozen reasons we are leaving for a "small town". I loved it here during my childhood into the 70's, but no more! Phoenix has grown to be the coldest place, even when it's 110 outside...If you get my drift.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Director Emeritus

Garage
Great story Kyle... and thank you for being the way you are.
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Thanks for sharing Kyle! It is a shame that America has forgotten what made her great. People helping each other use to be the normal thing to do. Now most people don't even know their neighbors.
In this little town we still stop to help, and we wave at everyone we meet. That's just the was we were brought up in this part of the country. If small town America ever goes completely away I hope I'm not around to see it happen.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #8

come to NY city you have to see how people act like animals here.i get a kick though when i hold a door open for people or let them go first sometimes you get a thank you other times they just walk by like you were never there.
I was raised to respect my elders and treat people with respect and the way you would want to be treated,but it seems like that all went out the window today.

Gone but not Forgotten
07 laramie 5.7 hemi 4x4 QC Dynatech supermax headers, 4.56 gears, Vararam CAI, Black magic E fan. Alluminum driveshaft JVCnx7000 head unit 2-12" kicker comp, 2-6 1/2" alpine and 2 alpine 6x9 2 fosgate power amps 800 4 ch. &1500 1ch. 20" rims. Flex a lite E fan..160 db train horn. Diablo with custom tune from HEMIFEVER and White Lightning, Fastman throttle body

EVILRAM07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
Board of Directors

Garage
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #10

I think most of the problem with the lack of kindness is fear. A justifiable fear. It is very unfortunate, but true that you cannot trust a lot of people, especially in the larger populations. I think it is a real shame. I despise the "punks" of these cities. Some people blame the system or blame law enforcement. I blame those who stand by and let crime happen. On average, there are only one or two cops for every 1000 citizens. They cannot be the only ones to protect the innocent. I am not saying that people should be vigilanties in any way. But how many times has some old lady been mugged at an ATM in broad daylight, with several people around. I could not do that. I don't think of myself as a "tough guy", I mean let's face it, I am 150 so not very intimidating. However, that would not stop me from at least chasing down the punk while on the phone with the police. It would not stop me from doing the best I can to gather as much information I can. As I said before, from what I know of you guys, I think most of you are the same way. "Truck People" usually are good people...lol.