key fob question - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #1

Hi i hope maybe someone can give me advice on this?? my son has a 07 charger he only has one key and that is worn out.we got keys off ebay and to progam them dodge say there the only one that can do it. i have read different ways but just dont know.i told dodge this and they told me if i do it wrong i will need to tow it to them and then it would cost me BIG.
I JUST DONT WANT TO SPEND 150-200 BUCKS FOR A KEYFOB

Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #2

Hi i hope maybe someone can give me advice on this?? my son has a 07 charger he only has one key and that is worn out.we got keys off ebay and to progam them dodge say there the only one that can do it. i have read different ways but just dont know.i told dodge this and they told me if i do it wrong i will need to tow it to them and then it would cost me BIG.
I JUST DONT WANT TO SPEND 150-200 BUCKS FOR A KEYFOB
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #3

Garage
can't wait to hear this answer.........

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/attachm...epic3972_3.gif
ROLLING THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #4

That's the problem with dealerships, no pricing consistency, I've seen programming fees from $15-$70. Did they quote you a price on just programming? I know "buying" a fob from them they take you to the house on. But hopefully they have reasonable programming fees.

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #5

well to buy a key from them was just over 200 with tax included programm.if i bring my own key it was 100 if they can program it. 50 if it didnt program.and they said to drop car off for the day??how long can it take.so i would need to find transportation to and from spend 100-200 bucks for a key and the closest dealer is 40 miles.
went to dodge talk and they are talking about jumping across the plug in thing to ground the computer.turn the key on and push the key fob buttons to program??
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
With my luck I would screw up the computer and cost me $1800.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #7

I've read dozens of how to's claiming if you have a working key fob currently then you can avoid a dealership. Also a bunch of youtube videos of locksmiths doing it themselves, of course them not showing you exactly what they do. Any reputable locksmiths in the area?

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #8

didnt think about that
Quote:
Originally posted by BTeves:
I've read dozens of how to's claiming if you have a working key fob currently then you can avoid a dealership. Also a bunch of youtube videos of locksmiths doing it themselves, of course them not showing you exactly what they do. Any reputable locksmiths in the area?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

You can program as many a 8 keyfobs to these vehicles; why anyone would need that many, I don't know, but what the hey!

IF you are talking about a chipped key, YOU MUST HAVE 2 WORKING CHIPPED KEYS before you can program another one. If not, you gotta pay the stealership!

Programming instructions for a third key or additional keyfobs, should be in the manual.

When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe!

I view Nitrous like that hot chick with an STD; you want to hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences....
OldBaldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #10

Garage
Thankfully, I don't have any of that "security key" nonsense for my Ram. I do have three fobs - bought two off eBay for $35.

I did get an extra key for the C when we bought it - $132. An extra key for the Mazda was $140.