I need your ideas!!! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #1

I need your ideas!!!

Alright everybody, I need some help!

A little over a year ago, I lost my job. It was a job I hated, but it was a job that paid me the money that I needed to live the lifestyle that I enjoyed - so I put up with it.
I sold homes for a large builder in Maryland and made good money doing it, until the Real Estate market plummeted across the country and my division laid off 123 out of 165 employees. My wife and I decided to move to South Carolina and we love it here, however I am just working part time at Best Buy and barely paying the bills and I really need to get a good full time job so I can start living life again.
My question is: I need some ideas for what I could do. I am really looking for a career change. I have burnt myself out with real estate - it's just far too stressful and my blood pressure is high enough on it's own!

I am very good at sales, been doing it for quite a while now. However, I'm not married to the idea that I have to do something in sales. My passions in life and boating, off-shore fishing, motorcycling, hunting, tropical vacation destinations, jimmy buffett, music, and performance cars/trucks. Of course, I would love to just be a charter boat capt. or a musician but another passions of mine is money (so I can mod out my truck )!

Any ideas???

My brother suggested the the idea of hotel management, and I liked the idea because of the travel benefits and that is a pretty good paying job. I found a director of sales and marketing job open at the marriott downtown Charleston and I applied, but they already filled the position.

I'm not saying I'm lazy, I take a lot of pride in my job and work very hard to do my job to the best of my ability! I just want to do something that makes me happy.

Any Ideas, I just don't know?

General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Director Emeritus

I need your ideas!!!

That hotel management sounds pretty good, but as with a position like that, the stress level can probably go up pretty high too!

You've got lots of experience with real estate and I understand your wanting to get away from it, but my daughter works for a company that deals with people who do appraisals all over the country, and as you probably already know, some of those guys make a fortune.

I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas from others here and it feels good to know that you've come to us for help too.

Pup
HEMI-PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #3

I need your ideas!!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HEMI-PUP:
I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas from others here and it feels good to know that you've come to us for help too.

Pup
I thought about it for a while, I don't want people to think I'm asking for a hand out or just crying and complaining about my life, but that's why I came here. I knew my HEMI brother and sisters would understand, and with around 4500 members, you never know someone may know about an opening that may work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Director Emeritus

I need your ideas!!!

You might want to PM Mr.Hemi too, he's been lookin' for someone to clean up the corporate jet too!

Pup
Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #5

I need your ideas!!!

Hotel management high stress I'm in a job I hate also but pays good and have to pay the bills married with family. Anyway good luck on your job hunt.
bigkumadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #6

I need your ideas!!!

Quote:
You might want to PM Mr.Hemi too, he's been lookin' for someone to clean up the corporate jet too!

Pup
If I can detail a truck, I can do a plane!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #7

I need your ideas!!!

When I was 16 my oldman told me I wasnt going to amount to ****. I wanted to own my own buisness and I was the joke of the family. Every one told me that I needed to go to college. Well I didnt go to college and started a part time lawn care company. After high school I went full time and also went into pest control. I sold my lawn care company and turned over all 126 employee's to a naition wide service company for a LARGE chunk of change. Pest control was bringing in twice the amount as lawn care. I took a few dollars from the sell of the lawn care and went into power washing. That took off like the fastest Hemi ever. Took extra money from the 2 companies and started a welding and fabrication shop. That took off and I sold the power washing company and 60 or so employee's to a local company around here. I still have 2 companies that make me a hell of allot of money. With the sell of my other 2 prior companies I can retire at anytime and not worry about a thing. I also could sell my current companies and my next 3 generations would live trouble free. My point is I am now 36 with a wife that has suported me since high school and 2 kids, I had a goal and mind set to do what I felt was right as well as what I wanted to do. So if you have something you want to do for yourself then go for it. Never let anyone tell you otherwise. You can not go back to tomorrow so take the chance today, thats what I tell my kids. And yes I did send my wife to college because thats what she wanted, I just wanted to get married when she was done so we did. If you can work part time while you get things started you should be able to do the things you want. I say go for it, if you dont you will look back one day and say (I wish I would have tried that). I hear that from so many people I went to school with and I have to laugh. Go for it do something for yourself.. As long as your honest with yourself and others you can make it. Well that my 99 cents.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
Director Emeritus

I need your ideas!!!

Very well said Shane, you've done really good. If a person has the willpower, sets a goal and sticks to it through thick and thin, miracles can happen.

Pup
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #9

I need your ideas!!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by General Lee:
Quote:

Pup
If I can detail a truck, I can do a plane!
See right there you said it. Auto detail $100-200. a car or truck. 3 or 4 of those a day and your set. You never know where that could go. Move up to busses and even bigger building cleaning.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #10

I need your ideas!!!

Maybe look into Mobile detailing. I had my truck done once. I paid about $150 for wash, wax, and interior done. It was money well spent because it was about 30 degrees outside. The guy must have been making bank though. Once I got a hold of him, it took a week to get an appointment. He had all the equipment with him, and just hooked up to our building hose bib. If I remember right, he also had a water tank in his van. Get a fiber glass top, and this is something you could do out of your truck.
askibum02 is offline   Reply With Quote