HTC News: March 10, 2019 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Queen Kima - Whemi BOD

HTC News: March 10, 2019

We all know about Daylight's Savings Time: why, who does, who doesn't, the lovers, the haters (I'm a hater). Since I'm a nurse I found the health issues related to the time change.
Health

Justification for Daylight Saving Time to the effect that it is a more natural adjustment for people rising with the sun

DST has mixed effects on health. In societies with fixed work schedules it provides more afternoon sunlight for outdoor exercise. It alters sunlight exposure; whether this is beneficial depends on one's location and daily schedule, as sunlight triggers vitamin D synthesis in the skin, but overexposure can lead to skin cancer. DST may help in depression by causing individuals to rise earlier, but some argue the reverse. The Retinitis Pigmentosa Foundation Fighting Blindness, chaired by blind sports magnate Gordon Gund, successfully lobbied in 1985 and 2005 for U.S. DST extensions. DST shifts are associated with higher rates of ischemic stroke in the first two days after the shift, though not in the week thereafter.
Clock shifts were found to increase the risk of heart attack by 10 percent, and to disrupt sleep and reduce its efficiency. Effects on seasonal adaptation of the circadian rhythm can be severe and last for weeks. A 2008 study found that although male suicide rates rise in the weeks after the spring transition, the relationship weakened greatly after adjusting for season. A 2008 Swedish study found that heart attacks were significantly more common the first three weekdays after the spring transition, and significantly less common the first weekday after the autumn transition. A 2013 review found little evidence that people slept more on the night after the fall DST shift, even though it is often described as allowing people to sleep for an hour longer than normal. The same review stated that the lost hour of sleep resulting from the spring shift appears to result in sleep loss for at least a week afterward. In 2015, two psychologists recommended that DST be abolished, citing its disruptive effects on sleep as one reason for this recommendation.
The government of Kazakhstan cited health complications due to clock shifts as a reason for abolishing DST in 2005. In March 2011, Dmitri Medvedev, president of Russia, claimed that "stress of changing clocks" was the motivation for Russia to stay in DST all year long. Officials at the time talked about an annual increase in suicides.
An unexpected adverse effect of daylight saving time may lie in the fact that an extra part of morning rush hour traffic occurs before dawn and traffic emissions then cause higher air pollution than during daylight hours.
In 2017, researchers at the University of Washington and the University of Virginia reported that judges who experienced sleep deprivation as a result of DST tended to issue longer sentences.
What would you like to learn in the newsletter? I don't know anything about vehicles, but hey, give me a topic and I'll research it.

Birthdays/anniversaries we are celebrating this week:
There aren't any birthdays on the calendar this week.
If it's your birthday/anniversary/special occasion let us know and we will celebrate with you.

Welcome to new member d100 man!! Great to have you as part of our group.

We are starting to talk about the 2019 Rally!!! This is a family friendly event open to all HTC members and their guests. See the post started to give your ideas and suggestions. The thread was started a couple of months ago. We are starting to get serious about place and dates so reservations can be made and folks can get their time off work. Let's have a great turn out this year!!

PRAYER REQUEST:

If you have a prayer request you would like to share either add it to this thread or PM me.
*HemiSuperbee - Mark - health concerns
*Rancher - Doug said to take him off the list but I think a quick prayer for his general health issues isn't a bad idea
*Doc's mother

Have a great week!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg time.jpg (13.9 KB, 13 views)

Mrs.Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
John

Garage
I could use some of that weight loss.

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote