Holiday Road - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Back from our Colorado vacation/business trip. The wife 'n I left Monday and found our way back to AZ last night. During that time, I concluded, that "some drivers" are insane!

Case in point #1: We decided to drive up to Monarch pass (continental divide) last Thursday. It takes about 30 minutes one way from our soon to be doorstep. Tourism is good, so you can bet the drivers are out in numbers. Driving mountain passes requires alertness and observing the speed limits. Especially around the curves. The majority of this stretch of road is painted double yellow or posted "Do Not Pass". We were following a truck pulling a tent trailer going downhill at the posted speed limited (we were coming back from the divide). There is no real rush to drive this road as it lends itself to all sorts of possible scenarios (tight curves, no guard rails, wildlife crossing etc., etc.). I was driving my wife's ride with my wife taking in all the scenery as a passenger. Out of the corner of my rearview mirror I watched a speeding beater Intrepid trying to overtake the two car behind us, our vehicle, the truck in front of us and a car in front of him. It was around this time I said, "This will be interesting" as I tapped the brakes and my wife said "what?" She found out real quick as he flew by. It was also around this time we observed a small suv in the oncoming lane and my wife blurring out a four letter expletive (which she never does). The driver of the suv quickly pulled over on the 2' wide shoulder and the moron that passed us on a double yellow line cut the truck in front of us off. Thankfully the suv was small, because if it was a paper thickness wider, I'm almost certain we would had been hitting pieces of this near head-on. We were that close. Too close! The driver of the Intrepid? He kept speeding down the hill overtaking more vehicles.

Case in point #2: Driving back yesterday, we were crossing Navajo County from the four corners area. Two lane highways, on Indian reservations, can be trying on the nerves. Not only are the roads lousy, in reality, it's a long haul and the scenery is a real yawner. The only reason we drive thru this county (Including Apache county) is it's quicker and the reservation patrol will allow "some" give going above the speed limit. Of course I was driving and as we approached a semi sharp curve I noted a car disappearing around the truck it "was" following. My wife didn't notice and I didn't have time to say hold on. I drove her ride on the shoulder, just in time, to watch the cousin from the "first incident" moron squeeze by us. Today my right ear has lost some more hearing as my wife screamed her best to date.

You think we had enough...Not yet.

Case in point #3: Flagstaff (AZ) has grown some. It's not the sleepy little stop-over it use to be. Of course, it has it share of growing pains. This includes rush hour and accidents. Their main drag comprises, in some stretches, four lanes. Now most people , who would see an accident up ahead, with flashing arrows and such would pull over to wait in line to scoot by the accident...Right? That is exactly what we did! Around the time we became the third car from the bottleneck, up comes a tow truck and several cars right behind. The tow truck pulls left of the accident and the first car pushes his way in line right of the accident. When something happens, like this, I really lose it. I view this as a mental midget whom deems his, or her, time more important than mine and can't simply read a sign. I tighten up to the car in front of me and the next vehicle, a Land Rover with this haughty self-centered female and her friends tried to squeeze in. Nope! Not going to happen...She did manage to squeeze off the car behind us and proceeded to act upon her stupidity by tailgating us. I grown tired of her and changed lanes as she and her friend provided hand signals to us. Hmmmm.....

....Holiday Road. Be careful out there!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Back from our Colorado vacation/business trip. The wife 'n I left Monday and found our way back to AZ last night. During that time, I concluded, that "some drivers" are insane!

Case in point #1: We decided to drive up to Monarch pass (continental divide) last Thursday. It takes about 30 minutes one way from our soon to be doorstep. Tourism is good, so you can bet the drivers are out in numbers. Driving mountain passes requires alertness and observing the speed limits. Especially around the curves. The majority of this stretch of road is painted double yellow or posted "Do Not Pass". We were following a truck pulling a tent trailer going downhill at the posted speed limited (we were coming back from the divide). There is no real rush to drive this road as it lends itself to all sorts of possible scenarios (tight curves, no guard rails, wildlife crossing etc., etc.). I was driving my wife's ride with my wife taking in all the scenery as a passenger. Out of the corner of my rearview mirror I watched a speeding beater Intrepid trying to overtake the two car behind us, our vehicle, the truck in front of us and a car in front of him. It was around this time I said, "This will be interesting" as I tapped the brakes and my wife said "what?" She found out real quick as he flew by. It was also around this time we observed a small suv in the oncoming lane and my wife blurring out a four letter expletive (which she never does). The driver of the suv quickly pulled over on the 2' wide shoulder and the moron that passed us on a double yellow line cut the truck in front of us off. Thankfully the suv was small, because if it was a paper thickness wider, I'm almost certain we would had been hitting pieces of this near head-on. We were that close. Too close! The driver of the Intrepid? He kept speeding down the hill overtaking more vehicles.

Case in point #2: Driving back yesterday, we were crossing Navajo County from the four corners area. Two lane highways, on Indian reservations, can be trying on the nerves. Not only are the roads lousy, in reality, it's a long haul and the scenery is a real yawner. The only reason we drive thru this county (Including Apache county) is it's quicker and the reservation patrol will allow "some" give going above the speed limit. Of course I was driving and as we approached a semi sharp curve I noted a car disappearing around the truck it "was" following. My wife didn't notice and I didn't have time to say hold on. I drove her ride on the shoulder, just in time, to watch the cousin from the "first incident" moron squeeze by us. Today my right ear has lost some more hearing as my wife screamed her best to date.

You think we had enough...Not yet.

Case in point #3: Flagstaff (AZ) has grown some. It's not the sleepy little stop-over it use to be. Of course, it has it share of growing pains. This includes rush hour and accidents. Their main drag comprises, in some stretches, four lanes. Now most people , who would see an accident up ahead, with flashing arrows and such would pull over to wait in line to scoot by the accident...Right? That is exactly what we did! Around the time we became the third car from the bottleneck, up comes a tow truck and several cars right behind. The tow truck pulls left of the accident and the first car pushes his way in line right of the accident. When something happens, like this, I really lose it. I view this as a mental midget whom deems his, or her, time more important than mine and can't simply read a sign. I tighten up to the car in front of me and the next vehicle, a Land Rover with this haughty self-centered female and her friends tried to squeeze in. Nope! Not going to happen...She did manage to squeeze off the car behind us and proceeded to act upon her stupidity by tailgating us. I grown tired of her and changed lanes as she and her friend provided hand signals to us. Hmmmm.....

....Holiday Road. Be careful out there!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Board of Directors

Garage
It's a jungle out there. Drive defensively.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

Sounds like an interesting trip to say the least. Glad you made it home safe.

His: 2012 Tornado Red Jetta TDI

Hers: 2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit #638/1200

askibum02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
It's that way everywhere Jim. Coming home from the hospital yesterday this bimbo in small SUV flew by me. At least 65/70 in a 50 mph zone...in town. Right up ahead about 1/4 mile is a stop light. She was on the <span class="ev_code_RED">RED</span> light before she even saw it. Slammed on the breaks and almost slid through the intersection. As I approached the light turned green and I passed her. Looked mid 30's, blond and appeared to bee texting. About a mile down the road she's on my bumper...tap, tap. We're in a construction zone for the next 10 miles...50 mph, no passing, double fines etc. Sure enough the first chance she got she passed me. About 1/4 mile to the next car. She passed it too and had to be going over 80mph. I kept thinking I would find her along side the road, either in a ditch or in front of a state Trooper. There is no excuse for that kind of driving. If you want to kill yourself that's one thing, but don't take innocent people with you.
Some people don't need to have a drivers license period.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Board of Directors

Garage
Sounds like an average day at work to me case #3 is a multiple daily occurrence, most people don't realize that when one lane is closed it would be much quicker if everyone stayed in the open lane instead of rushing up to the merge point and creating a bottleneck. I too was in western Colorado yesterday dodging the idiots, only I was grossing 78,000lbs 70ft long with a load of pipe that would like to slide forward and impale you if you brake sharply! Made it to the mine safely, 25mph limit on the narrow curvy roads with no room to swing wide or you fall off the cliff!
HTC MEMBER #2460
2005 Yellow Rumble Bee 4x4 Second Swarm #3248
2015 Peterbilt 389, 550hp Cummins ISX

AlbertaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbertaHemi:
Sounds like an average day at work to me case #3 is a multiple daily occurrence, most people don't realize that when one lane is closed it would be much quicker if everyone stayed in the open lane instead of rushing up to the merge point and creating a bottleneck. I too was in western Colorado yesterday dodging the idiots, only I was grossing 78,000lbs 70ft long with a load of pipe that would like to slide forward and impale you if you brake sharply! Made it to the mine safely, 25mph limit on the narrow curvy roads with no room to swing wide or you fall off the cliff!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #8

Been there! Done that!

You can keep the T-Shirt......

When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe!

I view Nitrous like that hot chick with an STD; you want to hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences....
OldBaldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #9

Garage

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/attachm...epic3972_3.gif
ROLLING THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Board of Directors

Garage
In no particular order here's 3 habits of bad drivers that really chap my butt. You see these every day.

- Not moving out of the left lane on the interstate when an opportunity opens up and thus stacking up a NASCAR-like pack of folks who are loosing patience at 70+ mph.

- Not accelerating on the entrance ramp or trying to merge with the flow while getting on the interstate and causing a merging jam up.

- Cutting in front of someone just to make a turn in front of them less than a block up the street. With or without signals.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote