Have any of you dumped the mechanical fan? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 04-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #1

Have any of you dumped the mechanical fan?

I read that Flexlite makes a kit for the Hemi I believe. It is supposed to flow some serious CFMs.The clutch fan is a MAJOR power robber. People were getting about 10 more rwhp w/ the 5.9L after removing it. I removed mine and just let the factory E-Fan do the Job. I never had a problem even in 95* Alabama Summer Heat.

Its free horsepower and I'm gonna look into it more. I'll also do the 180* Thermo.

kenandjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage

From what I've been hearing, we're looking at 10-17 additional HP... not sure if that is RWHP or not. I've been looking into it as well - just not high on my list right now.
Let us know how it goes!
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #3

When I installed the Hemi in my 70 Challenger ,I had to use a Fex-A-Lite dual electric fan, and it works great. It keeps the temp at about 210 degrees.
I was told by some racing guys that you don't want to to run theses engines cool, because they said more heat more horse. They also said,was, what you want cool, is the fuel, and the air intake, becuse you want them to be more dense.
I am getting 292 rwhp. The only thing that is differant on my engine from stock is, the fan, I have Superchip, and I don't have a power steering pump. This message has been edited. Last edited by: 70 Challenger HEMI, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:51:27 GMT-0700', '29 April 2005 04:51 PM')+''); 29 April 2005 04:51 PM
70 Challenger HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage

kenandjenn... You removed yours last summer and no problems? Did you just take the fan and clutch off? More details when you get a chance..
RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:47 AM   #5

When I had my Dakota, I ran it w/ no clutch fan and just the E-FAN. You could turn the Factory E-Fan on if you turned your Climate control knob to Defrost or turned your A/C on. However, I rarely ever had to this. If I was moving over 30 mph just the wind hitting the radiator kept it a cool 180*. But the little E-Fan would keep it cool in 90+* heat while sitting in traffic. The temp hand never would get over 195*.

I'm sure the Ram w/ the Hemi probably runs cooler than the Dakota w/ the 5.9L so If you installed a decent E-Fan then I see no problems w/ ditching the Mechanical fan. Does the Hemi even have a factory E-Fan? I haven't even looked yet.

It's been a long time since I took the fan off, but the best I can remember only the fan comes off. I'll have to go look at mine and I'll remember.

This isn't a top priority for me either right now, but I will definitly do this eventually because I could tell a difference in power when I removed it off the 5.9L. It's got to be good for at LEAST 10 rwhp if not more.
kenandjenn is offline   Reply With Quote