Has anyone ever owned... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Director Emeritus

Or has had experience with a swing gate opener?

Last fall we had a wraparound driveway installed in front of our house (see below). It's a big convenience for us but more importantly it's a nice safety feature living on a somewhat busy street where backing out into traffic is not very safe. Unfortunately more than a few drivers have used our new driveway as their own 'turnaround' and drive right through it quickly for their own convenience. Yes, I have caught a few and had it out with them right in the middle of the street, but most I don't catch and even more I never see.

This has turned into a serious safety issue for us because I provide Grampy Daycare for my grandson and we often use the new driveway to play with his riding toys, wagons, etc. Either way it's private property and has become a serious safety concern. I have done my research and with a limited budget I'm still trying to find a reliable swing gate opener. My plan is to put up a simple single-pole aluminum barrier across the driveway directly in front of the front porch which will probably have a total weight of about 30 lbs. I am very close to purchasing this gate opener but like many, some of the reviews are not very good, but with a 30 lb. gate, should work quite easily. I know that their are much more expensive openers on the market, but I'm trying to avoid spending a fortune.

So if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this type of swing gate opener, please let me know what you think.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg After1_800.jpg (119.9 KB, 107 views)

'04 2500 SLT 4X4 QC/SB 3:73 - Weathertech floor liners & vent visors - Fisher 8'HD plow - DELTA tool box - Back Rack - Whelen Guardian - Flowmaster 50 Series HD cat-back system

HEMI-PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Director Emeritus

Or has had experience with a swing gate opener?

Last fall we had a wraparound driveway installed in front of our house (see below). It's a big convenience for us but more importantly it's a nice safety feature living on a somewhat busy street where backing out into traffic is not very safe. Unfortunately more than a few drivers have used our new driveway as their own 'turnaround' and drive right through it quickly for their own convenience. Yes, I have caught a few and had it out with them right in the middle of the street, but most I don't catch and even more I never see.

This has turned into a serious safety issue for us because I provide Grampy Daycare for my grandson and we often use the new driveway to play with his riding toys, wagons, etc. Either way it's private property and has become a serious safety concern. I have done my research and with a limited budget I'm still trying to find a reliable swing gate opener. My plan is to put up a simple single-pole aluminum barrier across the driveway directly in front of the front porch which will probably have a total weight of about 30 lbs. I am very close to purchasing this gate opener but like many, some of the reviews are not very good, but with a 30 lb. gate, should work quite easily. I know that their are much more expensive openers on the market, but I'm trying to avoid spending a fortune.

So if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this type of swing gate opener, please let me know what you think.

'04 2500 SLT 4X4 QC/SB 3:73 - Weathertech floor liners & vent visors - Fisher 8'HD plow - DELTA tool box - Back Rack - Whelen Guardian - Flowmaster 50 Series HD cat-back system

Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
You mean like these? These are Apollo brand made here in Texas but sold nation wide. Steer clear of the really cheap brands that some home improvement stores sell....
A lot depends on what all you want and/or need. Traffic sensor on the inside so it automatically opens. Key pad outside so visitors can enter...you can put one inside instead of a traffic sensor but they are a PITA. Remote control transmitters so you don't have to reach out in the rain and push buttons. Solar powered or hard wired.
Looks like for what your wanting the basic unit you linked might do fine. But that is basic. Think about battery back up for those times the the electricity goes out..... and the things I mentioned.
BTW...madcat (Phil) installs these commercially as part of his business. Another source for info. If you can get a response. He's been really busy the last 2 months.

BTW.....be sure that you use ball bearing hinges with grease zerts. Well worth it in the long run...about $12 a set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0111_(Small).JPG (85.9 KB, 86 views)

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #4

Garage
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here all that is needed are sighs stating that the property is posted. Here, anyone stepping on posted property is trespassing, and can be prosecuted...

Gila Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
I would hang a sign that says "Private Drive - Keep out".

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

Wow. They drive right up against your house! I wouldn't tolerate that either.

Shifterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Board of Directors-Bill

Garage
Check on "Mighty Mule".
Lowes or Home Depot may carry it. Single 10 foot electric (remote) swing gate. $300 +/- .

Love ours. Keeps the dogs in and the others out.
Just [email protected]

arocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Director Emeritus

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I had already thought about (and still will) put up a sign that says "Private Drive - Do Not Enter" but believe me when I tell you that there are a lot of ignorant people who could care less about your private property up here in MA. I've also looked into the Mighty Mule (GTO) brand as well and their reviews are not very good either. I am also considering a more expensive one as well, the USAutomatic Sentry 300 (10 year warranty) which is equal in price to the Apollo 1500 ($800.00), both which are good brands.

If I can convince my finance minister to go for the Sentry then I will, otherwise I'll have to go with either the first one I looked at or just keep my trash barrel there until I decide.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

Buy American if possible (much better quality). Look at the duty cycle (how many times gate will be cycled per hour/day), and at a minimum guess 10-15 percent higher than needed for reliability and to not over-work the motors. 12 VDC motors seem to last longer than the 110VAC units in the field, and are easier to supply battery back-up power to. Opt for the wireless receiver, not only for your convinance, but to keep you from having to bury additional wires. Transmitters are cheaper than keypads, and can be used to open the gate from both sides... Buy an extra transmitter for the house/backup. Apollo, gatemaster, and federal APD are the three I like best, in the commercial world, but all three make smaller cheaper residential units as well. What ever brand you choose, let the warranty be the deciding factor. Let me know if you have any questions along the way... I'll try to help as much as I can.
06'-Ram-Hemi-Pearl Black-112 Spartan Cam-HHP/BES Stage 3 CNC Heads-Long Tubes-4.56 gears-Magnaflow-AEM CAI-Wideband-Diablo Dyno Tuned By XPSolutions-TCM tunes and PCM tweaks made WILD by Whitelighting 152,000 miles, 2nd trans (8.20s 1/8th, street weight, stock stall, on slicks)
06'-Magnum R/T-Hemi-Pearl Black-Diablo Tune-Magnaflow (8.80s, with the car seats)
02'-Yukon XL-2500-4x4-Prius Eating Gas Guzzling-Work Truck

http://youtu.be/jgAWnaRLfv8

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.." Thomas Jefferson
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #10

Great responses from everyone. No one turns around on our street as it is very short. So if you don't like any of your options you could always move . Lol could not resist that. But I hope you find something that works for you and falls in your price range. I would also put up a sign like protected by Smith and Wesson to deter the jerks.