GPS....Your thoughts Pro and Con - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Garage
GPS....Your thoughts Pro and Con

GPS is rapidly becoming one of the most installed aftermarket accessories in the business.

If you have one or it came with your truck let us know. Also how easy it is for you to program.

Your likes and dislikes.

I have had a handheld unit for work since 2001. But just got one as a gift for my birthday.

Lowrance Model 250c. I really like it a lot, only spent a couple of hours getting familiar with its operation.

It works great.

D500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #2

I myself, don't see the point to buying one built into the truck from the factory. You can only use it in the one vehicle, and when you sell the vehicle it is gone. Plus the rediculous price you pay for it.

portable GPS units work well and travel car to car and inexpensive. I have a Magellen and a Mio. Both were very inexpensive and get you from point a to point b. Well worth the price.
SLAMLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #3

Garage

I like the fact that the factory nav system talks to you through the stereo.

According to my manual I can do that with a transponder with mine. I have a tendancy to crank the tunes on long trips....

Somehow I always get over the speed limit if I have certain songs playin......

D500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #4

I have a garmin c530. Easy to use. Just make sure you get the updated maps if you travel alot. I have had problems with the unit twice in the past year but as long as you register your product Garmin replaced the unit twice, no questions asked.

Hemi Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

Factory-installed

pros:
1. Increases vehicle value at trade-in. I got 1500 more for my '02
2. No third-party GPS uglifying the dash. I'm a purist and want a factory look with factory parts.
3. Free updates as they become available. My dealer gives customers the latest DVD at no cost.

cons:
1. One vehicle only. You can't pop it out and use it in another vehcile unless it's a CGX vehicle.
2. Cost.

Aftermarket portables

pros:
1. Portable
2. Use in any vehicle

cons:
1. Small screen size
2. Limited or no audio system attachment.
3. Uglifies the interior of your vehicle.

Personally, if I were going to spend money on an aftermarket GPS for my truck, I'd purchase one of the aftermarket double-DIN in-dash units with the 6.5" or 7" display (not one of those pop-up screens). They provide a close-to-factory fit and finish and are fully integrated as part of the audio system. However, they cost just as much as the factory unit, if not more.
440 SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #6

I just bought a Garmin Novi 250w, after trying one with my rental car over christmas, I find its great for finding places you have never been, especially in cities you dont know
50 torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
JCHAST

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. I love it. I'll never not have one...
Old 02-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #8

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 after getting lost leavin g a few GTG's. I love it and its east to use and I got a great deal on Ebay.
RaiderJay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #9

I have an Eclipse Aftermarket DVD Nav in my truck. It's a single DIN pop out because I couldn't fit a double DIN and the factory option for my '03 is a 3" screen. I wanted an after market stereo anyway and now I can play DVD's for the kids on trips.

I also bought SWMBO a TomTom One XL-S last fall. More for cost sake. There is a VW factory Nav but it is about $1K to retrofit. I only paid $300 for the TomTom. It works well enough to keep her pointed in the right direction, but in retrospect, probably should have bought her a Garmin.
askibum02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
&quotRANCHER&quot

Well as you know George, I have both.

I'm still learning the one in my new truck but it has some features that the hand held units don't have. I really love the larger screen and the voice directions. They come only from the drivers speaker. The unit's volume is set separately from the radio so you can/will hear it. The illumination is also adjustable, more so than the standard Nav/GPS systems.
I have used TomTom, Garmin and Magellan and they are alright. The only thing that I don't like about the new system is rural roads are not "Map Verified" so it wont give you directions to those locations....it will show you where you want to go but not turn by turn directions. Well that and the price.....but it's mine now.
I like not having my old unit stuck up on the dash. Another good thing about the built in is that my "navigator-Mary" can also view the screen and help make sure I'm in the right lane in heavy city traffic. That was my only complaint about my other unit...I couldn't put it where we could both see it without screwing up the dash.
I still like my Magellan and will use it again if I need to.....or sell it maybe.