Going to Canada-questions - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #1

Garage
Heading up to western Ontario to do some fishing next month and I've got a couple questions that I'm having difficulty finding an answer to online. First one, can I cross the border with cigarettes? I did find one link that said a person may take a carton across but I don't know if that link was outdated. The other is regarding knives. I never realized how strict Canada is regarding guns and knives until this trip came about. I've got a nice ESEE that I would like to take with me but I also don't want to loose it at the border. It will probably stay home regardless. We'll be crossing at International Falls. I'm planning on taking lots of pics and a buddy is loaning me his video cam to take. Really looking forward to this trip. I haven't taken a "vacation" since 2005. Quite ready for some remote Canadian wilderness, peace and quiet and some good fishing.

'04 2500 QC LB 4X4

spainy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #2

Garage
Heading up to western Ontario to do some fishing next month and I've got a couple questions that I'm having difficulty finding an answer to online. First one, can I cross the border with cigarettes? I did find one link that said a person may take a carton across but I don't know if that link was outdated. The other is regarding knives. I never realized how strict Canada is regarding guns and knives until this trip came about. I've got a nice ESEE that I would like to take with me but I also don't want to loose it at the border. It will probably stay home regardless. We'll be crossing at International Falls. I'm planning on taking lots of pics and a buddy is loaning me his video cam to take. Really looking forward to this trip. I haven't taken a "vacation" since 2005. Quite ready for some remote Canadian wilderness, peace and quiet and some good fishing.

'04 2500 QC LB 4X4

Old 05-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Awesome! Hope you have a great trip. We went after the Sandusky Rally and I think 5 of the 7 trucks got searched. They didn't ask about cigarettes.
Since I had to leave my S&W at home, D500 (George) gave me a Smith & Wesson pocket knife..just so I wouldn't feel naked. Been carrying it ever since.
Ask AlbertaHemi (Dave)...he crosses the border weekly and he's one of the few Canadians that is here regularly.
Post lots of pictures...

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #4

Have your passport. Have it out of any cover you might have it in before you pass it to the agent. Have your Auto/Truck/ boat registration & insurance card if asked. No hand guns...period.
Long guns must be registered ahead of time and they will still pull you over to look them over.
You can google Canada info for regs and limits for cigs, booze etc. If you have any RX Drugs bring them in the proper bottles. Yes sir /Mam
No sir / Mam are the best type responses. I just came back last Monday.
Tight lines.

2012 Deep Cherry Red Pearl QC 4X4
My site. http://getdanet1.tripod.com/index.html

God bless & protect our troops.

Hemi Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Board of Directors

Garage
You can bring up to 200 cigarettes, although when I smoked I preferred the Canadian brands anyway, much smoother. As for knives, I believe up to a 4 inch blade is ok. Leave at home your firearms, radar detector and Switchblades or assisted knives are illegal. Don't try to hide anything and declare anything they may consider a weapon, they don't like knives that can be flicked open or closed either but I don't think they are illegal. Be as polite and courteous as you can be and you should be fine. Most people say they have a tougher time returning to the USA even as an American citizen.

Make sure you have some cash for the toll to get across the bridge into Canada, watch for trains as there are tracks zig zagging all over. There is a Walmart and a Canadian tire store on the west side of Fort Frances on the way out of town so you can probably stock up on anything you are not sure about crossing the border with there. You can get mosquito repellent there too which you will need a lot of! Watch your speed on the highways, it varies a lot and OPP aren't very forgiving.

Other than that, it is a very scenic part of Ontario, there are thousands of places to fish, enjoy your trip.
HTC MEMBER #2460
2005 Yellow Rumble Bee 4x4 Second Swarm #3248
2015 Peterbilt 389, 550hp Cummins ISX

AlbertaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

omg if its that bad then why go.united states is a very beautiful place to see.and great fishing all over.i just dont see going through all that trouble.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #7

Just got back Tuesday myself from an annual trip to Eagle Lake, where are you going?

You probably don't want to hear about the 2 hours it took us to get in at Fort Frances (I-Falls). We had 4 vehicles and they decided it was my turn for the total search. It sucked as the other three got through no problem but had to wait for me. They never found anything and eventually let us through. Really it's not usually more than a few questions, I've been through 5 or 6 times never a problem till this year. Good Luck!

MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Airaid CAI, Superchips 3865,
Homebrew E-fan, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust with merge Y & 22"
Magnaflow SIDO, Sonnax pressure booster, Stant 190 stat, Fastman TB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Blue: 1988 W100 4X4 Standard Cab Longbox 318 188,000 miles
==================================================
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #8

Garage
I don't know if we're going to the town of Kenora or Minaki but we'll get on a plane and they'll fly us out to the cabin.

http://www.outpostcompany.com/...posts/trapline-lake/

'04 2500 QC LB 4X4

Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #9

Wow, looks pretty fine! Have a good time!

MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Airaid CAI, Superchips 3865,
Homebrew E-fan, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust with merge Y & 22"
Magnaflow SIDO, Sonnax pressure booster, Stant 190 stat, Fastman TB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Blue: 1988 W100 4X4 Standard Cab Longbox 318 188,000 miles
==================================================
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote