Gasoline's New Math: Miles Per Dollar - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
&quotCompa&ntildeero&quot

Gasoline's New Math: Miles Per Dollar

Interesting article from MSNBC...

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...&topart=luxury

It's time to look at fuel consumption, and our national chug-a-lug gasoline habit, in a new way.
By Lawrence Ulrich
Toyota Prius (© Toyota Motor Sales USA) View pictures

One of the most fuel-efficient cars in America, the Toyota Prius will still only go about 15 miles on a dollar's worth of fuel.

For decades, miles per gallon — mpg in its familiar shorthand — has been the only way for consumers to understand how much gasoline is going into their tank, and what it really costs. But mpg isn't cutting it any more.

Like leagues, fathoms and pecks, mpg has become a relic, a unit of measure that has lost its meaning. It's a quaint reminder of the days when a gallon of high-test cost a buck or less, and Jimmy Carter donned his fuzzy cardigan and kindly asked everyone to crank down the thermostat and conserve energy.

It's time for new rules, and new math: Miles Per Dollar, or mpd.

The formula is simple. Take the old mpg, but divide it by the price of fuel. Unlike the vague mpg, mpd is a remorseless measuring stick, its pointy end aimed directly at your wallet. When gas was cheaper than the dirt it sprang from, 20 miles per gallon seemed pretty solid. Even when gas reached a dollar a gallon, you were still getting 20 mpd, traveling 20 miles on a buck.

The problem is that, as a whole, the nation's cars and trucks aren't getting any better fuel economy than they were 20 years ago. With the price of a gallon of gas soaring to $3 and beyond, think again about that 20 mile-per-gallon car. Its mpd rating has fallen to less than seven.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Formerly 'Vince'

I don't think thats a perspective that many Hemi drivers want to figure it out, lol. Cool idea, it just hurts too much
4dhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Board of Directors

Garage

Just for grins I decided to figure out the miles per dollar for a top fuel dragster. Nitromethane costs $30 per gallon. A top fuel car will burn about 12 gallons including firing it up, doing the burnout, backing up, staging, and the run itself. They may travel 1/2 mile including the burnout, backup, staging, and run. So the miles per dollar for a top fuel car is about 0.0014
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #4

But can a prius haul 5200 lbs w/ 350 hp down the track @ 93mph 14.62 et..humm. I didnt buy a hemi for the mileage.
Hemi Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
&quotRANCHER&quot

I don't think I want to know..... It would just make me cry!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #6

I dont want to know.... all i know, is it's enough to make a difference at the end of the week, between rice an beans, or steak for dinner... All depending on how many Hemi fill ups that week.... (3-5 per week!!!)
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #7

We have to have a truck in our adjusting work, have no choice. How would I carry a ladder in a prius. We drive a lot, by no choice, its just a part of our occupation. I wish to hell the government would do something about fuel prices. OPEC is screwing us royally, as are the oil companies here in the states. Speculators and investors drive Bentley's and we drive Dodges. We need to put a stop to that and get fuel prices back down. I am tired of people saying WOW, gas is only $2.72 a gallon, I better hurry and fill up.
HeminatorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
&quotRANCHER&quot

A dollar gets me 5.8 miles.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #9

I love the idea of miles per dollar.

Different fuels get different mileage.
Different grades of fuel are different.
Different fuels are different prices per gallon

The true/proper way to measure is how much it costs us per mile.
kenihemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #10

i have always known i need to have about $80-100 a week for gas....thats all i need to know actually

oh, and by the way, to the guy above who said the price of gas makes the difference between eating rice and beans vs. steak for dinner

that only applies if you are already at your budgets limits....if $10-20 extra per week takes you from beans and rice to steak or the other way around, your fuel cost is the least of your worries

gas is still too cheap, one of the cheapest places in the world to buy fuel is the
USA, they need to jack it up to $5 a gallon and suddenly the obesity problem will start to subside because it wont be so easy to jump in the car to go 100 yards to get a big mac, will also lower consumption which will lower prices....
gravy is offline   Reply With Quote