GAS: Where Is Your "Breaking Point?" - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

I am reading, yesterday, where gas hit $5.00 per gallon in CA. By the looks of it, gas has now exceeded that $5.00 mark GasBuddy.

Where is your "breaking point" when it time to buy gas for your truck? Was it a done deal at $3.00 per gallon? $3.50, $4.00, $5.00?

Is it worth buying another vehicle, a "fuel sipper", by having to pay the cost of the vehicle, insurance and maintenance over driving your truck to work, to the store or to see your friends (Can you buds imagine you in a econo car?)?

Where do you believe the rising cost will end?

BTW This includes liters as well!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

I am reading, yesterday, where gas hit $5.00 per gallon in CA. By the looks of it, gas has now exceeded that $5.00 mark GasBuddy.

Where is your "breaking point" when it time to buy gas for your truck? Was it a done deal at $3.00 per gallon? $3.50, $4.00, $5.00?

Is it worth buying another vehicle, a "fuel sipper", by having to pay the cost of the vehicle, insurance and maintenance over driving your truck to work, to the store or to see your friends (Can you buds imagine you in a econo car?)?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
David

Garage
I am thankful I have a work truck that I do not pay for the gas in. And it only gets 9.5 mpg

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #4

I use 1 gal. to work& back, doing less random driving, & trying to keep out of the throttle(no fun).

Hemi Registry #212, Inferno Red, Debadged, Painted pinstripes, Vertical Billet grill, Fire & ice lightbar, sunvisor, cab length side steps, X-tang tonneau cover

megahemi06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

it will end when the *** is out of office.
Quote:
Originally posted by RockyMtnXpress:

Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
SICKHEMI2004

Garage
there aint no reason for gas to be this high. for the longest time they said the middle east was influencing the price over here. well here is something yall probably didnt know. 70% of are oil comes from Canada not the middle east. even when the price per barrel is dropping the price still is going up. WHY IS THIS?!?! just so they big oil company executives can keep paying for all the stuff they have. they dont care bout any of us only themselves. as long as they make a dollar(here lately its been more than that) they dont care. gas should only be $0.99 a gallon and then everyone would be happy. they would still make money off of us but no as much. This is all just some big BS i say lets that the battle to them
Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Director Emeritus

Garage
Unfortunately there is no breaking point for me... still have to drive to work everyday. Luckily I have a daily driver that gets 35 mpg highway.

Even if gas goes to $10 per gallon, we're still going to have to buy it...
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

I intend to break our dependency on foreign oil by burning through it all with horrible mpg rated vehicles and driving in a manor that makes Al Gore cry himself to sleep at night

In all seriousness my breaking point is when it comes down to food or gas, fat kids gotta eat

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #9

Garage
It would have to go up a whole bunch to make it worthwhile to spend money on another vehicle. Fuel cost is still only 'bout half the total operating cost.

One of my co-workers traded his nearly-paid off Ram on a Kia the last time gas spiked. Higher payment for a lot longer term and his fuel cost dropped only 'bout 1/3.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrHemi:
Unfortunately there is no breaking point for me... still have to drive to work everyday. Luckily I have a daily driver that gets 35 mpg highway.

Even if gas goes to $10 per gallon, we're still going to have to buy it...
For you or everyone?

If your comment was meant for everyone then I am going to respectfully disagree. While we may still need it to accomplish our daily schedule, I believe many will flat out stop buying it or slow down the need for it. Many will not be able to afford it (especially when it effects everything else on the market shelves = food). When it would come to paying the rent or putting a $160.00 a week into a fuel sipper many will choose rent and hope (and change) the feds will provide. This is not a good scenero for those just scrapping by now. Sacrifices will be made in everyone's budget and the trickle down will not be good for anyone. Unfortunately, I believe it will happen long before $10.00 per gallon in this current economy and don't be surprise when the whole thing comes crashing down.