Front Driveshaft CV Joint Exploding - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Tom

I had this post down in the drivetrain section, but didn't find an answer.Hoping for better luck here.

I have a 2004 4 x 4, quad cab 8í bed Ram with a (what I measure) 4.5 BDS lift. I bought the truck in 2008 with 30k. At about 100k miles the front shaft CV joint started making noise and a mechanic friend said it needed to be replaced. Hereís where the trouble started. I had him put a new CV joint in and all sounded good for about 1k and on a trip traveling at 75, the CVJ just about exploded. I pulled over and had the tools to just pull the drive shaft off and continue on my way. Back home my mechanic got another CVJ and installed it for free. The very next trip the same thing happened at high speed. Iím now just a 2 wheel drive truck until I can figure this out. The CVJs werenít factory. Canít tell you what they were. My questions: Do I need a special CV joint because of the lift? The angle looks a little extreme. Do I just need to purchase a factory CV joint? The first one went 100k. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Tom

I had this post down in the drivetrain section, but didn't find an answer.Hoping for better luck here.

I have a 2004 4 x 4, quad cab 8í bed Ram with a (what I measure) 4.5 BDS lift. I bought the truck in 2008 with 30k. At about 100k miles the front shaft CV joint started making noise and a mechanic friend said it needed to be replaced. Hereís where the trouble started. I had him put a new CV joint in and all sounded good for about 1k and on a trip traveling at 75, the CVJ just about exploded. I pulled over and had the tools to just pull the drive shaft off and continue on my way. Back home my mechanic got another CVJ and installed it for free. The very next trip the same thing happened at high speed. Iím now just a 2 wheel drive truck until I can figure this out. The CVJs werenít factory. Canít tell you what they were. My questions: Do I need a special CV joint because of the lift? The angle looks a little extreme. Do I just need to purchase a factory CV joint? The first one went 100k. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
if it was an aggressive level kit the angle might be too much

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

Did you buy it with the lift, or did you install it?

His: 2012 Tornado Red Jetta TDI

Hers: 2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit #638/1200

askibum02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Tom

Brett'
I bought the truck in 2008 with the lift already done. I put 70k miles on before the original CVJ went bad.Looking on several other forums, many guys say there's no such thing as a CVJ on the rams. Here is what a good one looks like.
CV Joint
Old 08-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #6

My only thought is that maybe the aftermarket axles aren't very good quality. Try an OEM one and see if it lasts.

His: 2012 Tornado Red Jetta TDI

Hers: 2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit #638/1200

askibum02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #7

Try the Kore CV joints. Pricey but they seem to be worth it.

dr.dred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
Tom

I went to the Kore site and found the high angle CV joints for the axles only. No listing for the drive shaft CV. Another option I'm considering is a remanufactured drive shaft that comes with the U joint and CV joint complete. Is it possible that something in the transfer case is ruining the CV? There is no visible damage and no vibrations when the drive shaft was connected.