CRAIG'S LIST - THEY DON'T EXIST AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED ANYMORE!!! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

So much for Craig's List - I'll never post anything for sale there again! **** THEM!

Approx 20 minutes ago a Deputy from the Alameda County Sheriff's Department left, they sent one over because I had questions concerning some items I had put on Craig's List to sell.

Apparently I had 2 different SCAMMERS (or maybe the same one) trying to screw me out of money and the parts. I kept getting repeat emails from them saying that the money was on the way and that a mistake had been made by someone who got the "check" for them and they had sent too much money. Well Wednesday I received a package from FedEx and inside was a check for $2600. When I saw this check - at first I'm thinking WTF!?? Why would someone send me a check for over $2,000 for a pair of $100 Headlights? This is when I noticed something funny, the check was written on a College in 1 state (with only a PO Box as a address? WRONG ANSWER) and the bank in a completely different state hundreds of miles away? And also according to the tracking number, the check was sent from Florida by a guy that lives in Cincinnati Ohio? Oh also, the address to where this item was supposed to be shipped (when in my post on Craig's List I said NO SHIPPING!) was in Manteca California to a totally different person with a different name all together??????

As the old Robot on Lost in Space used to say:

IT DOES NOT COMPUTE! IT DOES NOT COMPUTE!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

Ok, so this morning I went to http://www.IC3.gov and made my report on this one supposed individual and about the check and all that info and then called the Sheriff, it took a bit and once he came over here and I showed him copies of the email and the check he almost laughed and said yup, this is a Scam.

The 2 different parties wanting to buy my parts were sent an email explaining that everything had been reported to the Internet Crime Complaint Center and that it was also reported to the Sheriff's Department and that well, tough **** Sherlock, my stuff's not for sale.

Only posting this for any of you who try to sell on Craig's List to be careful.

The Check BEFORE destruction
(Note: I didn't notice this before - the signature shows that it was made by a copying machine!)

After Destruction
(copies of these 2 images were sent to the person who supposedly sent the check.

ArcticWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #2

So much for Craig's List - I'll never post anything for sale there again! **** THEM!

Approx 20 minutes ago a Deputy from the Alameda County Sheriff's Department left, they sent one over because I had questions concerning some items I had put on Craig's List to sell.

Apparently I had 2 different SCAMMERS (or maybe the same one) trying to screw me out of money and the parts. I kept getting repeat emails from them saying that the money was on the way and that a mistake had been made by someone who got the "check" for them and they had sent too much money. Well Wednesday I received a package from FedEx and inside was a check for $2600. When I saw this check - at first I'm thinking WTF!?? Why would someone send me a check for over $2,000 for a pair of $100 Headlights? This is when I noticed something funny, the check was written on a College in 1 state (with only a PO Box as a address? WRONG ANSWER) and the bank in a completely different state hundreds of miles away? And also according to the tracking number, the check was sent from Florida by a guy that lives in Cincinnati Ohio? Oh also, the address to where this item was supposed to be shipped (when in my post on Craig's List I said NO SHIPPING!) was in Manteca California to a totally different person with a different name all together??????

As the old Robot on Lost in Space used to say:

IT DOES NOT COMPUTE! IT DOES NOT COMPUTE!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

Ok, so this morning I went to http://www.IC3.gov and made my report on this one supposed individual and about the check and all that info and then called the Sheriff, it took a bit and once he came over here and I showed him copies of the email and the check he almost laughed and said yup, this is a Scam.

The 2 different parties wanting to buy my parts were sent an email explaining that everything had been reported to the Internet Crime Complaint Center and that it was also reported to the Sheriff's Department and that well, tough **** Sherlock, my stuff's not for sale.

Only posting this for any of you who try to sell on Craig's List to be careful.

The Check BEFORE destruction
(Note: I didn't notice this before - the signature shows that it was made by a copying machine!)

After Destruction
(copies of these 2 images were sent to the person who supposedly sent the check.

ArcticWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

I sell on Craigs list all the time. I always use the Term "Local pick up and CASH only" That eliminates scams and I use a cash marker to verify the money I get before turning items over.
Mine: 2011 2500 4x4 Crew Cummins. HERS 09 Inferno Red Hemi Crew Cab SLT lone star with brown and tan interior loaded with 3:92s.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Director Emeritus

Garage
I'm assuming they were hoping you would send them back the change ($2,500) on a REAL check. Good on you for making the report... hopefully they'll be caught
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Greg

Garage
Some of these scams are pretty envolved. I had one last year where I actually got a email from a friend asking me to send some money to Nigeria to bail him out. Having just spoken to my friend and knowing he wasn't in Nigeria I called him and told him his email had been hacked and emailed the scammer that I had sent the money via Western Union and the secret phrase was "this is a hold up" with instructions to write it down on a piece of paper and hand it to the clerk at Western Union.
Never heard anything back....

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Redtruck-VA:
Some of these scams are pretty envolved. I had one last year where I actually got a email from a friend asking me to send some money to Nigeria to bail him out. Having just spoken to my friend and knowing he wasn't in Nigeria I called him and told him his email had been hacked and emailed the scammer that I had sent the money via Western Union and the secret phrase was "this is a hold up" with instructions to write it down on a piece of paper and hand it to the clerk at Western Union.
I also had that happen...a Salvadoran friend wrote me from Nigeria saying he lost his money and Passport. Those were red flags...what the he!! was he doing in Africa and he would NEVER loose his Passport or the money he hides in his shoes....I got in touch with his daughter and she told me others got the e-mail, too. We love the Net, but with caution.

~ Do not conquer the world with force, for force only causes resistance. Thorns spring up when an army passes. Years of misery follow a great victory. Do only what needs to be done without using violence. Lao Tzu ~

"Compaņero" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Director Emeritus

My daughter had a very similar incident occur with a treadmill she was selling on craigs list. She worked out a deal with some guy to cash a check for about $1500.00 over the cost of the unit but fortunately I pushed her to tell me the details because she had that "worried" look on her face. Needless to say I told her to email him back and tell him the deal was off - don't ask any questions.

'04 2500 SLT 4X4 QC/SB 3:73 - Weathertech floor liners & vent visors - Fisher 8'HD plow - DELTA tool box - Back Rack - Whelen Guardian - Flowmaster 50 Series HD cat-back system

HEMI-PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by HEMI-PUP:
My daughter had a very similar incident occur with a treadmill she was selling on craigs list. She worked out a deal with some guy to cash a check for about $1500.00 over the cost of the unit but fortunately I pushed her to tell me the details because she had that "worried" look on her face. Needless to say I told her to email him back and tell him the deal was off - don't ask any questions.

2003 Silver Ram 2500 Moose SLT QC/LB 4x4 | NV4500-HD 5Speed Manual trans | Tow pkg | Centerline dual friction clutch| 3.73 LS |Borla dual catback |Bilstein Shocks| Billet Grill | 15% Win Tint | Bushwacker color matched flares| Pwr adjustable petals |Superchip| Mopar wheel liners |Ramhammer intake| Mopar alum fuel door | MSD Blaster coils & 8.5 ignition wires |SS nerf bars | Chrome ext handles | Atm graphite tails |Silverstar bulbs| Hurst alum T handle shifter| B&D Short throw Shift kit|

5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
David

Garage
I wouldnt be upset with Craiglist. Im sure you get spam emails. Theres really no way for them to control it. Thats why they have the warning page when you get on the site. I too have recieved one of those checks. I looked up the bank and called them. Def a fake check. It is very aggervating and wastes alot of time

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Mopower or no Power!!

First, you did the right thing by calling the Sheriff Dept. Second, like ATXHEMI stated, it isn't Craiglist's fault....Third, I wouldn't have destroyed the check, their fingerprints were all over it....I would have sent it to the international fraud department of the FBI.....these guys from Nigeria do this a lot. If you notice, the Bank name is typed on it on the right hand side in the upper corner. A bank never puts it's name there. Anyway, nice catch on the fraud....

Quote:
Nice one!

Phone: 573-258-9999

[email protected]
3rd Strike Performance is offline   Reply With Quote