Chainsaws - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 05-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Garage
Apparently, I didn't make the best choice in chainsaws with the Poulan. Trying to decide if I should fix it or buy a better one.

There probably isn't much wrong with the Poulan, but I don't want it to be a money-pit.

What saws are you folks using?

Old 05-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #2

Garage
Apparently, I didn't make the best choice in chainsaws with the Poulan. Trying to decide if I should fix it or buy a better one.

There probably isn't much wrong with the Poulan, but I don't want it to be a money-pit.

What saws are you folks using?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #3

Garage
I feel your pain, I got tired of my 'Pull-on' and bought a Homelite. but I have not had to use it yet, most of what I need to cut I can get away with my Remmington Electric chainsaw.

Now wait till Nope checks in and he will tell you all about chainsaws!

HEMI's and Wings
Nothing better for a Sunday Drive

Homemade front tilt hood with mini MOPAR Pro Stock Style hood scoop, Self made air intake, Carr Hoops steps, Glasscapes window treatment, AVS chrome taillight covers and in channel visors, custom dual exhaust with Dyno Max muffler and cutouts, custom 'hockey stick' graphics, SportMaster Tonnue cover,ECCO 80w Corner strobe Kit, VR3 Back up camera system, MOPAR Rear wheel well liners, Superchips3815,purple neon underbody kit and windshield washer LED's

Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
tui

Garage
Husqvarna 55 with original 20 inch bar. Its my firewood saw , Is 17 years old and done about 2500 hours. only ever changed spark plug and fuel filter. Its still going strong.

Had a big Homelite, but a misplaced cut had me running for my life leaving the saw to its own devices. It wasnt as fast as me unfortunately.
tui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Stihl......2nd is Echo. The newer Stihl saws are a lot easier to start with the system you don't actually pull the engine through to make it go. Pulling the rope winds a spring that when the tension is right starts the engine.
Been using Stihl for about 25 years with no regrets. Used Echo before then and still use some Echo tools...blowers and weed-eaters. Have Still blowers and weed-eaters too.

Husqvarna is a good brand, but a little harder to start and parts are higher. IMHO

Which ever you choose make sure you get the right bar length for the work your going to be doing. I "assume" for most folks an 18" bar will work best. Bigger trees are a bear with an 18" bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2006.JPG (271.4 KB, 99 views)

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks for all the responses. Yeah, an 18" bar has a time with bigger trees. However, I'm not sure I'd want to tackle one bigger than an 18" could handle.

Keep the input coming folks. Seems like $400 is a chunk to spend on a chainsaw, but maybe it's the route I should have taken in the beginning. My neighbor has a Stihl Farm Boss. It seems to give him trouble starting, too.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #7

Garage
Like doug said you can't go wrong with a Sthil.

I have a sthil 30+ year old brush cutter (weedeater) that about 9years ago i spent a C-note on to have fixed back up had not run in about 7yrs. best money i spent.
starts up every time all the time, even after sitting in the barn over the winter with OLD gas mix in it...

yep got a few Sthil saws. the Mini-Boss is the one with the 'fancy' start that even Kallie can start.
BUT be warned if your not careful you will flood it easy, BUT once you learn the "trick" it's SWEET.
I got this one for my trimming saw, scratch that, for Karla's trimming saw. well she asked for one for Christmas.

i have a MS310 that came with a 20" bar. i have overworked and cut about 20rick a year for the last 10 yrs. no issues.
sent it in once due to not wanting to start, they fixed it right up.

i have since modified it slightly and she will pull a 24" bar with ease.

have i abused it? well................

we burn about 15 rick a winter so i do use it a touch

Kallie will also say wear your hearing protection and all your PPE PLEASE!!!

and YES you can MOD a saw.... a little work and tuning and BIG difference in power!!!
modded - the little peice of mesh you see? that is the factory exhaust port.
the pipe? that's OPENED up

see those two little holes in RED? those are the factory exhaust ports, the five holes up top are to open her UP!!

and to more persuade you to stick with Sthil here are a couple saws from our last GTG

or maybe you need a bit more then 18" ??

or you could opt for a two man saw?

not sure what your plan is but i have found your best bang for you buck is a 7900 Dolmar
a bunch of guys i know love these saws.
will pull a 24" bar and is about $300 cheaper then a sthil, now it's still $700 around here..

but a Farm Boss is a good all around saw, a step up from a simple 'home-owner' saw.
yup lots of $$$ but probably the last time you have to purchase a saw....

uh...Phil, will that do?

2013 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn True Blue Pearl, Amsoil, Re-trax, Bedrug
2003 4x4 LB QC CAI, SC, Amsoil, Shorties, LED tails. GONE but never forgotten.

Member # 1450
nopeitsherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

Garage
A Stihl is the only way to go, and I got the Farm Boss on David's recommendation. Perfect for my use!

Gila Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
uh...Phil, will that do?

I think you left out some details!

HEMI's and Wings
Nothing better for a Sunday Drive

Homemade front tilt hood with mini MOPAR Pro Stock Style hood scoop, Self made air intake, Carr Hoops steps, Glasscapes window treatment, AVS chrome taillight covers and in channel visors, custom dual exhaust with Dyno Max muffler and cutouts, custom 'hockey stick' graphics, SportMaster Tonnue cover,ECCO 80w Corner strobe Kit, VR3 Back up camera system, MOPAR Rear wheel well liners, Superchips3815,purple neon underbody kit and windshield washer LED's

Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Hey Mike! Unless your going to be doing a lot of heavy sawing don't get a bigger saw than you need. I do some pretty heavy cutting and my newest saw is a Stihl MS250C.
Check out their site: http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/occasional.html
These are for occasional use, but will handle just about anything the non-professional would ever need.

BTW...Be sure to check around on prices. They vary a lot form dealer to dealer. Stihl also has sales on their site.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote