Hemi Truck Club banner

Car Shopping at the 2012 Model Arizona International Car Show

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  RockyMtnXpress 
#1 ·
The wife and I drove to the Phoenix Convention Center last night to check out the latest rides. She will be in the market, soon, for a new SUV or Crossover (Sorry, no truck for her...she figures to drive mine if she needs drive one at all). This show is once a year with zip pressure from any salesperson looking for that commission (In fact I noticed only a few on standby). Which is a good thing, because with her the one thing I've learned after all these years, buying her a new car is like trying on shoes. With her, it better look good and it certainly better fit right! We checked out every square foot of that place, with every brand and flavor there was. We "had" our sights set to seriously consider the Ford - Edge when we walked into the place (At least it's "American" built with foreign parts). By the time we checked one out, we crossed it off our list. Anyone ever sat in one? I am 5'-11" and I smacked my head getting into the thing. The roof on this unit is so close to the top of anyone's head it's scarey. Made for "little people"!!! Imports are out since the town we're moving to doesn't have an import dealership for service and they were asking an "arm and a leg" for purchase price. That left GM, Jeep and Dodge. GM and Chevy had Acadia and the Traverse. Both sat well for the long haul. We just didn't like the idea of the front wheel well having the tire so close. I liked the Grand Cherokee, but she was less thrilled since it didn't fit her quite right and it had the Jeep nameplate (something she can't seem to get her mind around
). After an hour and a half we finally made it over to Dodge. The one she liked was the Journey. The only one they had there was on a display with a sign "To stay off the display". WTH??? I jumped the display and went over to sit in it. It felt great and if it feels right to me it would feel right to her...And "NO" I don't try on ladies shoes!

SO! Anyone here own one? What do you think about your Journey? Personal reviews are the best...

BTW I have been to this show more than once and last night crowd was small

See less See more
#2 ·
The wife and I drove to the Phoenix Convention Center last night to check out the latest rides. She will be in the market, soon, for a new SUV or Crossover (Sorry, no truck for her...she figures to drive mine if she needs drive one at all). This show is once a year with zip pressure from any salesperson looking for that commission (In fact I noticed only a few on standby). Which is a good thing, because with her the one thing I've learned after all these years, buying her a new car is like trying on shoes. With her, it better look good and it certainly better fit right! We checked out every square foot of that place, with every brand and flavor there was. We "had" our sights set to seriously consider the Ford - Edge when we walked into the place (At least it's "American" built with foreign parts). By the time we checked one out, we crossed it off our list. Anyone ever sat in one? I am 5'-11" and I smacked my head getting into the thing. The roof on this unit is so close to the top of anyone's head it's scarey. Made for "little people"!!! Imports are out since the town we're moving to doesn't have an import dealership for service and they were asking an "arm and a leg" for purchase price. That left GM, Jeep and Dodge. GM and Chevy had Acadia and the Traverse. Both sat well for the long haul. We just didn't like the idea of the front wheel well having the tire so close. I liked the Grand Cherokee, but she was less thrilled since it didn't fit her quite right and it had the Jeep nameplate (something she can't seem to get her mind around
). After an hour and a half we finally made it over to Dodge. The one she liked was the Journey. The only one they had there was on a display with a sign "To stay off the display". WTH??? I jumped the display and went over to sit in it. It felt great and if it feels right to me it would feel right to her...And "NO" I don't try on ladies shoes!

SO! Anyone here own one? What do you think about your Journey? Personal reviews are the best...

BTW I have been to this show more than once and last night crowd was small

#3 ·
The wife has one and does like it. Would have liked to have got the 4 wheel drive one but, the front wheel is not that bad. Just need better tires (snow tires) for the winter. And I am to say the lest a big guy and fit in it very nice and drive it sometimes. Has tons of storage and fits both grand kids as well. And not to bad mpg. And Mrs Big Blue can add a few more when she gets on line again.

#5 ·
Originally posted by BIG BLUE:
The wife has one and does like it. Would have liked to have got the 4 wheel drive one but, the front wheel is not that bad. Just need better tires (snow tires) for the winter. And I am to say the lest a big guy and fit in it very nice and drive it sometimes. Has tons of storage and fits both grand kids as well. And not to bad mpg. And Mrs Big Blue can add a few more when she gets on line again.
Thanks Mark! Especially the tip about 4 wheel drive vs. fwd. I think I will try to get my wife to go and size one up this week.

#6 ·
Well, here I am. I have had a Chevy Equinox before which is Front Wheel Drive so this is not new to me. There are a few reasons I picked the Dodge Journey. We were on the lot looking at the trucks when I saw this car. #1 it was "my" color.....blue. Then I sat in it. It was a little closer to the ground than the Equinox, Trailblazer, or Volvo XC90 that I previously owned. But I thought this would be better for picking up the mother-in-law who is about 4 foot 8 inches tall and has a hard time getting into vehicles. Next, it is seven passenger. With 2 grandchildren and a third due in Feb. I thought this would be good if we and the daughter's family wanted to go somewhere together. Next, the price was right. It was a 2010 left over on the lot, so still brand new but less $ since the 2011s were out. I took it for a drive and liked the way it drove. There is a ton of hidden compartments in it, under the floor in the back, in the dash, and the front passenger seat lifts up and storage there.
As Mark says, I want to get some good winter tires on the front but I have had it since March and no complaints yet. Mine is one of a kind because I bought an automatic starter for it which they tell me is no longer being made. They put it in at the beginning of summer at the dealership where I bought the car. I bought seat cover (cheapies from Wally World) for the front seats. The back 2 seat I leave folded down to make more cargo area. The child car seats are easier to put in than some vehicles I have had.
If you have a question, feel free to ask.

#8 ·
Not so as I'd notice. I usually keep it around 55 or 60 on some highways. Normally, it is back and forth to work which is only 4.5 miles so not much time to get the steam up.

#10 ·
Like Mark, I'm a rather large person - i.e. BigPaPa - and have driven the Journey a couple of times when my truck was in the shop - loaner. The one I drove was a 4 cylinder and really lacked the piss-n-vinegar it needed to get out of it's way. The 4-speed transmission shifted well but with the lack of power the 4 cylinder had, made it all the more sluggish. Keep in mind though that I went from a Ram 2500HD with Hemi and Superchips w/tranny upgrade to the Journey so take this with a grain of salt.
It did have all the room I needed though.

I did have it one time during the winter and it did well getting out of my driveway at about 12% grade. We had about 4" of snow and I did have to do the "steering wheel twist" (quick right-left; right-left turn) to get it to grip but, it did pull it self out without winter tires.

#11 ·
Thanks Mark - MDSBigPaPa. I am thinking a six cylinder, AWD is the way to go for my wife. Especially, when it will be coming down to living in the Rocky Mountains. I can't seem to talk her into simply switching from two wheel to four wheel (Such as buying a 2012 qcsb 1500 with a HEMI
). So, going AWD will kill the gas mileage some (If we're going to kill some gas, we might as well do it right and get the 2012 qcsb 1500 with a HEMI *sigh*). She knows this and yet continues to stand her ground

I will admit something to you...This twisting with the steering wheel has me concerned...I am not a good dancer! - j/k'g.

#13 ·
Well, I get my winter tires on tomorrow so will let you know. The Equinox which I used to have was FWD and no problem in the snow. You must have seen some of our snow pictures.
So far, no problem with the power. We have a "hill" that goes to an adjoining town called "Terrible Mountain", if that gives you a clue to the steepness of it and the only time I had a problem was when the floor mat was under the gas pedal. Hmmm!

#15 ·
P.S. Mine is a 6 cylinder, too. So is peppy. For snow tires, I like Cooper or Michelin. I am getting Coopers this time and Mark said to get studded this time. I never had studded before. Guess I'll find out how studded works.

#16 ·
So, RockyMtnXpress, today I was out on the highway cruising along. Happened to look at the speedometer and didn't realize I was going 80 MPH. Had to back off that fast.

So, eased it back down to 60. But, it did go nicely out on the highway.

#17 ·
Originally posted by Mrs.BIG BLUE:
So, RockyMtnXpress, today I was out on the highway cruising along. Happened to look at the speedometer and didn't realize I was going 80 MPH. Had to back off that fast.

So, eased it back down to 60. But, it did go nicely out on the highway.
Mrs.BIG BLUE - That's good to know! Some of the newer vehicles "strain" a little at that speed or the driver and passengers can hear the wind seeping through the seals. Thanks for the update!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.