Barrett Jackson auction frustrates me... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Ramless Member

Garage
just wanna vent alittle. Every time I watch this auction on Speed to see the beautiful cars I end up getting alittle irate because its all these old rich Grey Poupon types or some young spoiled millionaire's kid spending daddy's money...

And I bet they don't even drive the friggin' things! Probably just add them to the collection in some warehouse waiting to be sold to the next spoiled rich guy...

oh if I could only win the lottery--I'd buy every car on there and DRIVE IT like i stole it, dadgummit!!! Especially the old Hemi's and Boss 429 Mustangs

Sorry, just had to let that out. gonna take my now.

2015 Harley Iron 883 Daddy's toy

2014 Focus SE sedan 2.0L gas-sipping gokart for the wife and kid

07 QCSB HEMI 3.92 LSD 2WD-- gone but never forgotten.

Ramsey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
Greg

Garage
IMO, many of those cars are indeed so rare that they shouldn't be driven. Plus rare speciality cars have become somewhat an investers market (meaning way over priced). All of this would make no fun for me to own. But I do admire many of them and wish I had the resources to play with a few. I say, build something you like and have fun... A friend of mine has a Rat Rod (31 ford sedan) that costs him well under 5k and he has a ball with it. Good luck...

1956 Jeep Willys Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #3

Garage
I was in Scottsdale today at a car show in a mall parking lot, and the cars there would easily compete with anything that was being sold at the auction across town. There was everything from an old VW bug to a Lamborghini and a Ferrari. There were awesome street rods, and classic cars from the 50's and 60's, and even a new stock Challenger. One of our Arizona members has a cherry 65 Cuda, and I met a guy there showing off his cherry 68 Cuda. These are all normal people who worked hard to get what they had. Catch my drift?

Gila Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
"Bob"

Garage
Bat Mobile went for 4 million 200 thousand to a man in phoenix.he flip a coin with the other bidder to see who would win it , he won and said he was going to put it in his living room .bought it because his wife wanted it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
Greg

Garage
Haha I'd say he lost the flip....

1956 Jeep Willys Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

In my opinion, Barrett Jackson's and the other 3 or 4 auctions that hit this area are highly overrated. Another in my opinion, the so-called auctions do have a tendency to jack the price on any nameplate out there. Example, about four or five years ago, buying a 'nice' big block 70 Challenger could be done for around mid to high 30's. This doesn't include the esteem 426 HEMI. They were going for mid 80's to 100's at the time. Within a year after one BJ auction and after having a few 'nice' big block Challengers roll thru the auction, bidding out to the high 60's, everyone and his brother thought, "Ah-Ha - I can sell mine for the same!" The only thing that brought back a few, within reason, has been the economy (per http://www.oldride.com/ and http://www.cars-on-line.com/). Needless to say, the same thing happens to each muscle/sport car they display from year to year. I'll echo the same, that most of the auction cars are no better than my show car only to be stored away as a non-profitable investment. I also agree with Brian (Gila Hemi) drive it and have fun with with them!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
"Bob"

Garage
with you Jim,if you look at a slant 6 duster they want 5-6000 (and it doesn't run) for it because of them.B/J is usually a camaro/ vette auction. but with Carrols death, every gt 350 and 500 seamed to be there this year. trying toget the big bucks, which most did.there weren't that many street rods there, guess they got tired of losing there butt.
the part i liked is Craig putting a reserve on his car. WHAT its a no reserve auction.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Slow Memeber

I agree with most that was said. With that there was a plum crazy 71 convertible 426 cuda that I fell in love with that thing was 7 figures I think.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #9

The auctions are a great barometer for seeing the fluctuations in car values. A few years ago convertible Hemi Cudas and ZL-1 Camaros were going for around a Million bucks. If I spent a million for a car, I wouldn't drive it! But that's why they have clones. They sure look like the real thing, but for a far less price tag. I know a guy locally who does mostly Chevy clones. Camaros mostly. But he did a ZL-1 clone and it looked flawless. One you could drive (if you could afford the gas) for not even a tenth of what the real thing is worth.
2006 4x4 qc, Atlantic Blue, Diablo Predator, afe high breather, Performance Research and Development Heads, 260 cam, pacesetter mids, high flow cats, Custom Y pipe, NGK 5306 Plugs, Mobile 1 synth oil, power wire, and edge billet 2600 converter, 3.92 lsd, Auto Meter A/F guage with SRT-10 A-Pillar, Alpine HU, Focal components, JL Audio 6450 Amp, JL audio 10" sub.

Birdshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #10

Garage

2006 1500 Quad Cab "Lone Star" Edition.

As a courtesy to the other drivers, this is what a HEMI looks like from the front.
dodhem06 is offline   Reply With Quote