Any real MPG break throughs in the Hemi community? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Hi guys! Been awhile since I wrecked my 05 hemi.

I've had 3 Dodge Rams since, a 03 Cummins... an 04 Cummins, and another 03 Cummins, however I'm going to college this fall (thanks to losing my job I've decided its better to pursue higher education) and I'm considering finding a 3rd gen regular cab short bed Hemi to drive around..

I'm torn between it and a cobalt, I'm not sure how much driving I'll be doing in College but 16 MPG vs 35 mpg is a tough call haha. But I've always owned a truck, and I'm a little afraid of giving up 4x4 in the winter.

mud flaps
oil change
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #2

Hi guys! Been awhile since I wrecked my 05 hemi.

I've had 3 Dodge Rams since, a 03 Cummins... an 04 Cummins, and another 03 Cummins, however I'm going to college this fall (thanks to losing my job I've decided its better to pursue higher education) and I'm considering finding a 3rd gen regular cab short bed Hemi to drive around..

I'm torn between it and a cobalt, I'm not sure how much driving I'll be doing in College but 16 MPG vs 35 mpg is a tough call haha. But I've always owned a truck, and I'm a little afraid of giving up 4x4 in the winter.
mud flaps
oil change
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #3

Trucks are just too heavy and too powerful to have any substantial mpg gains. Just have to make a list of pros and cons. Truck vs Car. Take in account your budget. I'm hoping gas prices come down after this next election, after the current occupant of the White House (who is not fossil fuel friendly) is voted out!
2006 4x4 qc, Atlantic Blue, Diablo Predator, afe high breather, Performance Research and Development Heads, 260 cam, pacesetter mids, high flow cats, Custom Y pipe, NGK 5306 Plugs, Mobile 1 synth oil, power wire, and edge billet 2600 converter, 3.92 lsd, Auto Meter A/F guage with SRT-10 A-Pillar, Alpine HU, Focal components, JL Audio 6450 Amp, JL audio 10" sub.

Birdshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Well if there isn't a need for a truck and your not really a truck person go with a car.
Lots of people just like the comfort and security of a truck and the versatility far exceeds that of a car.
Still it all boils down to need vs dollars. As long as I can put gas into a vehicle it will be a truck.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

And frankly, long trips...Trips that involve, Hmmmm, say 11 hours from my doorstep in AZ to my soon to be doorstep in CO. Take my wife's small little beater on that trip and I feel like I went 20 rounds with Mike Tyson. Take my truck (and btw - my wife agrees with the following) and I am refresh enough to pull several loads of luggage up three flights of stairs and that's pretty good for a old pencil pusher like me.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #6

Garage
If you're considering a Cobalt, take a look at the Mazda 3. Better built, better handling. It'll hold its value better, too.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
100% with mike...cobalts are garabage they fall apart and have little resale value, mom had 2 and my woman has one. mom traded her 09 cobalt ls in last sept, it had 40k on it and she got 8100 on a trade, i had a 06 mazda 3 gt with 60k i traded in 2 days later and got 9350....plus i had that car almost 2 years, did nothing but put in gas and change the oil....her cobalt had the front end overhauled twice, couldnt hold a wheel alignment for more than a month ....food for thought, the girlfriend has a ss 2.4 non Sc....shes at the point of puttin black tape on the check engine light

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Board of Directors

Garage
If I was going to buy a reasonably priced small car that is actually fun to drive and gets good mileage the Mazda 3 would be it.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

There's no question in my mind versus a cobalt. I love them, i got 42 MPG in mine on a trip once, 35 around home. The seats comfortable and they're easy as pie to work on. Parts are cheap too, i see someone advertising a whole engine and granny with 80k mi for $300 on Cl. Just gotta stay away from automatics. Bad resale value is a great thing when buying used. Pick one up cheap enough and keep it running and you'll get your money back. A running vehicle cant depreciate to 0 lol.

But i agree i recently drove my Cummins 780 miles straight, 12 hours and i loved the trip. Plus in that thing no one tried to run me over. In my current mustang gt conv i can go 15 over the speed limit and house wives with suvs try to use me as a speed bump.

I guess ill just have to run the numbers, see how much i get out of My truck and how cheap i can pick up a hemi. Seems gas trucks are high right now, compared to last year. Im just afraid ill get the truck then never drive anywhere because i was born a tight ***
mud flaps
oil change
Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #10

Garage
So you'd choose a known POS versus a real car? Alrighty then.