Any Grilling Aficionados on Here? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

A few months back, my wife decided we needed a new grill. She enjoys the way I can grill a burger, steak or chicken for dinner (or supper for ya northern folks). This 'new grill' has a few buttons and whistles that remains a mystery to me. One I want to try on our steak tonight is a 'seared burner and control.' It looks interesting, especially when I turn it on. When it's running full tilt, it resembles something from an old flame thrower on a WW2 movie. I can turn it down and it does tone down...some. I just picture myself, attempting to use this burner to give that "Texas Roadhouse" look on our steak and it comes back resembling something after a HEMI burnout on pavement. SO! I am asking for some help to do this right...Yes, I looked on line and now I am more confused than ever - All these different ideas at grilling a steak. I need to hear it from someone that is in the know. Seared before or after cooking? Seared only as cooking? Don't seared at all?

Please discuss before I do something horribly wrong to some good vitamin packed meat in the very near future.

Oh BTW the instruction, that came with the grill, has nil for this feature.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

A few months back, my wife decided we needed a new grill. She enjoys the way I can grill a burger, steak or chicken for dinner (or supper for ya northern folks). This 'new grill' has a few buttons and whistles that remains a mystery to me. One I want to try on our steak tonight is a 'seared burner and control.' It looks interesting, especially when I turn it on. When it's running full tilt, it resembles something from an old flame thrower on a WW2 movie. I can turn it down and it does tone down...some. I just picture myself, attempting to use this burner to give that "Texas Roadhouse" look on our steak and it comes back resembling something after a HEMI burnout on pavement. SO! I am asking for some help to do this right...Yes, I looked on line and now I am more confused than ever - All these different ideas at grilling a steak. I need to hear it from someone that is in the know. Seared before or after cooking? Seared only as cooking? Don't seared at all?

Please discuss before I do something horribly wrong to some good vitamin packed meat in the very near future.

Oh BTW the instruction, that came with the grill, has nil for this feature.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

Maybe there is nothing in the instructions about it because it is "Use At Your Own Risk". Or maybe it is a mystery setting, the mystery being what will happen if used.

Good luck with it anyway. Hope someone can help.

"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."--Anonymous

Member # 3568

Mrs.BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Garage
Place each steak on the grill for one minute. Then, turn them and grill on the other side for an additional minute. After, turn the meat and rotate 45 degrees and grill for half the remaining cooking time. Make sure you turn them again.

If you do this right you will get a nice diamond pattern of grill marks on the steaks and a well-rounded complete cook.

Note that the biggest mistake most grillers make is to continually prod, flip and pierce the meat while grilling. This drains the flavor and toughens the meat. Touch it as little as possible. Some cooks go so far to say that you should only flip the steak once.

Last but not least: Cook. Move the meat to the cooler spot, and/or close the grill to roast. Check the internal temperature of the meat with the quick-read thermometer and remove the steaks when they have reached their desired temperatures.

Make sure that you let the steaks rest for two to three minutes before serving. This will let the juices flow out from the center, and finish cooking.

This is my Hemi, there's many like it but this one is mine.

JOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Start with a hot grill 300+. When your ready to start turn the heat down.. The high temp is to sear the meat and hold the juices inside. Depending on the thickness of the steak it "usually" takes 7 minutes on each side. You can turn it more but it cost you some juice and can make it tough. Depending on the type of grill you have...some will flare up and burn your steak..I prefer the inferred type. Each burner has it's on temp gauge so it's easier to get the heat you want where you want it. And you don't get the flare ups that burn your meat.
There about as many ways as their are cooks and grills. This is after years of practice on several types/kinds of grills.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #6

Great info. I would use your sear setting for a about 45 seconds on each side. Then lower to cooking temp and cook as usual. Good luck and enjoy your steaks
Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
David

Garage
Just cook them in the microwave. Or use a real grille with charcoal. LOL just kidding. I have the smallest lil propane grille you can get. It's pretty handy for burgers and such. I prefer my smoker to cook most things.

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Thanks everyone! I am going to give each idea a shot for tonight and days ahead. Appreciate it.....
Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Well???

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #10

Garage
Pittsburgh Rare?

2006 1500 Quad Cab "Lone Star" Edition.

As a courtesy to the other drivers, this is what a HEMI looks like from the front.
dodhem06 is offline   Reply With Quote