A Mothers love and sacrifice...... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

Garage
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
Marysville,IN

-- An Indiana woman who saved her two children by binding them together with a blanket and shielding them with her body as a tornado ripped apart their house lost parts of both her legs, which were crushed by the falling debris, her husband says.

Stephanie Decker, 36, lost one leg above the knee and the other above the ankle, and broke seven ribs, but her two children, Dominic, 8, and Reese, 5, were unharmed after a twister with 175 mph winds leveled their house in Marysville, Ind.

"They're screaming, 'Mommy, I can't live without you, I don't want to die, please don't let me die,' and I said, 'You're not going to die. We're going to make it,'" she told NBC's TODAY show in an interview that aired Tuesday.

"Everything started hitting my back," Decker, now listed in fair condition in a Louisville, Ky., hospital, said. "Beams, pillars, furniture -- everything was just slamming into my back, but I had my children and the blanket, and I was on top of them."

Earlier in the day, Stephanie Decker's husband, Joe, had sent his wife a text message from work, telling her that radar was showing a tornado headed straight for their three-story brick and stone house, reported the Louisville Courier-Journal.

Decker, 42, was at Silver Creek High School in Sellersburg, where he teaches algebra, when the tornado hit. With storms expected, the school had been locked down, and he was debating whether to try to race home. Decker exchanged a series of texts with his wife, urging her to get herself and their children into the basement of their sprawling, three-story brick and stone home in Marysville, Ind.

"Then she sent me a text saying the whole house was shaking, and I texted her back and asked her if everything was OK," he said. "I asked her about six or seven times and got no response. That kind of freaked me out."

He said his wife told him later that she was in their walk-out basement, which had French doors leading outside and a wall of windows, when she saw the tornado approaching, moving across the family's 15-acre plot. Stephanie Decker had already tied a blanket around both children and to herself, and she threw herself on top of the children.

"She said she felt the whole house start to go, and then she felt like it moved them about before it kind of wedged her in there, but she was able to keep the kids from moving away," Decker said.

When the tornado passed, Stephanie Decker called to the children. Reese, 5, answered immediately, but Dominic, 8, hesitated before saying he was OK. Decker said his son told him he couldn't hear his mother because of the roar of the storm.

"I looked at my leg and realized either it was cut off, or it was barely attached," she told TODAY. "I took my phone and made a video to my husband telling him I loved him."

Dominic ran next door for help. Neighbor and local sheriff's deputy Brian Lovins came to the rescue, using a belt as a tourniquet to stop the flow of blood from Decker's severed leg.

"She's like, 'I'm dying, I'm dying,'" Lovins told TODAY, his voice breaking with emotion. "Her kids were able to get out and call for help, and her kids saved life."

She has been scheduled to undergo surgery on her legs again Thursday, hospital spokeswoman Holly Hinson said.

"The house is gone. It's pretty amazing that she's alive," Hinson said.

With trees blocking the road after the storm, Decker said he ran part of the way home before two men gave him a ride. He found his house gone and his children with a family friend. His wife had been taken to a hospital 10 miles away, and the men drove him there, allowing him to see Stephanie briefly before she was airlifted to the Louisville hospital.

"I was afraid I might never see her again," Decker said.

Decker said she survived because of her kids.

"I prayed to have the strength to survive," she said. "I wanted these kids to have a mom. I did not want them to have to grow up without me."[/list]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg decker-3612-300x400.jpg (34.1 KB, 42 views)

nopeitsherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Garage
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
Marysville,IN

-- An Indiana woman who saved her two children by binding them together with a blanket and shielding them with her body as a tornado ripped apart their house lost parts of both her legs, which were crushed by the falling debris, her husband says.

Stephanie Decker, 36, lost one leg above the knee and the other above the ankle, and broke seven ribs, but her two children, Dominic, 8, and Reese, 5, were unharmed after a twister with 175 mph winds leveled their house in Marysville, Ind.

"They're screaming, 'Mommy, I can't live without you, I don't want to die, please don't let me die,' and I said, 'You're not going to die. We're going to make it,'" she told NBC's TODAY show in an interview that aired Tuesday.

"Everything started hitting my back," Decker, now listed in fair condition in a Louisville, Ky., hospital, said. "Beams, pillars, furniture -- everything was just slamming into my back, but I had my children and the blanket, and I was on top of them."

Earlier in the day, Stephanie Decker's husband, Joe, had sent his wife a text message from work, telling her that radar was showing a tornado headed straight for their three-story brick and stone house, reported the Louisville Courier-Journal.

Decker, 42, was at Silver Creek High School in Sellersburg, where he teaches algebra, when the tornado hit. With storms expected, the school had been locked down, and he was debating whether to try to race home. Decker exchanged a series of texts with his wife, urging her to get herself and their children into the basement of their sprawling, three-story brick and stone home in Marysville, Ind.

"Then she sent me a text saying the whole house was shaking, and I texted her back and asked her if everything was OK," he said. "I asked her about six or seven times and got no response. That kind of freaked me out."

He said his wife told him later that she was in their walk-out basement, which had French doors leading outside and a wall of windows, when she saw the tornado approaching, moving across the family's 15-acre plot. Stephanie Decker had already tied a blanket around both children and to herself, and she threw herself on top of the children.

"She said she felt the whole house start to go, and then she felt like it moved them about before it kind of wedged her in there, but she was able to keep the kids from moving away," Decker said.

When the tornado passed, Stephanie Decker called to the children. Reese, 5, answered immediately, but Dominic, 8, hesitated before saying he was OK. Decker said his son told him he couldn't hear his mother because of the roar of the storm.

"I looked at my leg and realized either it was cut off, or it was barely attached," she told TODAY. "I took my phone and made a video to my husband telling him I loved him."

Dominic ran next door for help. Neighbor and local sheriff's deputy Brian Lovins came to the rescue, using a belt as a tourniquet to stop the flow of blood from Decker's severed leg.

"She's like, 'I'm dying, I'm dying,'" Lovins told TODAY, his voice breaking with emotion. "Her kids were able to get out and call for help, and her kids saved life."

She has been scheduled to undergo surgery on her legs again Thursday, hospital spokeswoman Holly Hinson said.

"The house is gone. It's pretty amazing that she's alive," Hinson said.

With trees blocking the road after the storm, Decker said he ran part of the way home before two men gave him a ride. He found his house gone and his children with a family friend. His wife had been taken to a hospital 10 miles away, and the men drove him there, allowing him to see Stephanie briefly before she was airlifted to the Louisville hospital.

"I was afraid I might never see her again," Decker said.

Decker said she survived because of her kids.

"I prayed to have the strength to survive," she said. "I wanted these kids to have a mom. I did not want them to have to grow up without me."[/list]

2013 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn True Blue Pearl, Amsoil, Re-trax, Bedrug
2003 4x4 LB QC CAI, SC, Amsoil, Shorties, LED tails. GONE but never forgotten.

Member # 1450
nopeitsherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Wow!!!! That's an amazing story.

His: 2012 Tornado Red Jetta TDI

Hers: 2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit #638/1200

askibum02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Director Emeritus

Garage
She's a hero in my book!!
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
KEN

Garage
A true heart warming story,,,thanks for posting
_
BAMA-HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Awesome story!!!

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by MrHemi:
She's a hero in my book!!

HEMI's and Wings
Nothing better for a Sunday Drive

Homemade front tilt hood with mini MOPAR Pro Stock Style hood scoop, Self made air intake, Carr Hoops steps, Glasscapes window treatment, AVS chrome taillight covers and in channel visors, custom dual exhaust with Dyno Max muffler and cutouts, custom 'hockey stick' graphics, SportMaster Tonnue cover,ECCO 80w Corner strobe Kit, VR3 Back up camera system, MOPAR Rear wheel well liners, Superchips3815,purple neon underbody kit and windshield washer LED's

Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Incredible story!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #9

wow!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

wow.