Just Joinin' the Hemi Club! - Page 2 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #11

Just Joinin' the Hemi Club!

5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #12

Garage

and GREAT looking truck,and great deal.

we have a around here with a half-ton that pulls a 28' tag-along. DrDred, you might drop him a PM he is not around much lately though.

I agree that the dually is kind of big for the little hemi but sounds like you are researching how to make more power, a SC would be next for sure. I think a full blown CAI would be the best for fresh air also.

if you have not purchased the camper yet, then i would seriously consider a 5th wheel they pull SO much better then a tag-a-long.

we have a member here in IN that has a 26' 5th wheel he pulls with his 07 1/2ton, slow in the get up but no big issues.

you might even consider one of the 'half-ton' 5thwheels, you know built for the lighter truck so you have a better time pulling.
and the dully will pull and handle much better then a single on a 5th wheel also.

and since you mentioned your an engineer and since i deal with 'your kind' () daily i will have to agree some OVER research while others don't even open a book. so far it looks like you are one of the GOOD ones, wish you worked here

good luck and i HAVE to say WHY IN THE WORLD were you considering a FORD when you have two other dodges there that i can see???

nopeitsherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #13

1st HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #14

HEMI-LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #15

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nopeitsherhemi:

and GREAT looking truck,and great deal.

we have a around here with a half-ton that pulls a 28' tag-along. DrDred, you might drop him a PM he is not around much lately though.

I agree that the dually is kind of big for the little hemi but sounds like you are researching how to make more power, a SC would be next for sure. I think a full blown CAI would be the best for fresh air also.

if you have not purchased the camper yet, then i would seriously consider a 5th wheel they pull SO much better then a tag-a-long.

we have a member here in IN that has a 26' 5th wheel he pulls with his 07 1/2ton, slow in the get up but no big issues.

you might even consider one of the 'half-ton' 5thwheels, you know built for the lighter truck so you have a better time pulling.
and the dully will pull and handle much better then a single on a 5th wheel also.

and since you mentioned your an engineer and since i deal with 'your kind' () daily i will have to agree some OVER research while others don't even open a book. so far it looks like you are one of the GOOD ones, wish you worked here

good luck and i HAVE to say WHY IN THE WORLD were you considering a FORD when you have two other dodges there that i can see???

David, Sorry for the delay, Thanks for the information! I've been a bit busy with travel and work and vacations.. Yes I am finding the Dually is a heavy truck for the Hemi… it seems more suited for the Cummins diesel. Nevertheless this truck was in excellent condition and low miles so I figured I couldn't pass it up and I only plan to haul a smaller camper in the 8-9K range. I had it on the scale a couple of weeks ago and with the 100 Aux tank(empty) and the cap it weighed in a 7,300 pounds. If I fill the aux tank it will be 8,100lbs, and If I add the Fisher plow I am at 9,300lbs... Needless to say I am not spinning the wheels on the dually with the Hemi like the 1500 PUs do.

After some research, I did however make the first performance improvement with a full exhaust system replacement front to back. I chose Gibson ceramic coated Headers, with custom made & routed 2.5" SS split pipes (to avoid the tranny and transfer case) into dual OBD-II high flow CATs (down the passenger side) going into a 2 in & 2 out Magnaflow TRU-X SS muffler feeding split side swept SS rear pipes with 20”x 4" SS polished tips. This is the closest I could think of to true duals while getting around the 4x4 drive shaft. The truck is definitely a bit louder now especially while towing up hills, but overall a nice throaty sound. The system did seem to improve the low end throttle and torque response a bit. Not overly dramatic but I can tell some improvement in acceleration. Of course I now went from 10MPGs to 8MPGs around town. Haven’t been on the highway long enough yet to see what that is going to be. I was a bit disappointed with that thinking that I would see better MPGs. Oh well it’s a truck and I do have the AUX tank…

I also completely flushed the engine oil & tranny oil and put a new oil pan & larger PML Tranny pan that adds 4 more quarts capacity. I changed to AMSOIL 5-30 Synthetic and AMSOIL EA042 filter and AMSOIL Trans oil & WIX auto trans filter. I have to say I can really notice a difference in the way the tranny shifts now. I can barely tell it is shifting up and down. The only way I can tell is because of the change in the exhaust sound with the new system. It is really smooth.

I am thinking the next thing to do is try the aFe #54-10502 High Breather cai for Dodge Hemi Ram 03-06 stage two system (recommended by MrHemi) and clean the throttle body and new PVC valve while I am doing that install. It currently has a flat K&N replacement in the stock housing so I am thinking a CAI will go well with the new exhaust and would be the next logical step in the performance category. Maybe new sparks later and some type of tuner… Not sure I can afford a SC or if I want to complicate things or potentially damage the engine in the process. I would like the truck to last a while until I am ready to trade up for a new one.

Yeah the Ford was an initial desire, but after lots of research I find that there seems to be less overall issues reported from Dodge owners vs Ford owners… So I took a closer look at Dodge. Plus I really like the way the truck feels overall and enjoy driving it. The truck feels really solid. The Dodges in the photo belong to the gentleman I bought this truck from since I took the pictures up at his place. He was a die hard Dodge man and really nice guy!
DuallyHvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #16

Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #17

HEMI COMMANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #18

Welcome to the HTC, DuallyHvn! You haven't wasted any time with the mods. Good choices so far. The aFe is a good system. You'll definitely notice an improvement over the K&N drop-in. I'd look at a Comp 260 cam, 2400-2600 stall billet torque converter and the Sharadon Stage 3 valve body to increase the low-end torque and drivetrain efficiency, as well as some 4.56 gears. You'll need a Superchips programmer at a minimum to run that cam along with Stu's pushrods and some 6.1 exhaust springs (or Manleys). Also, ditch the clutch fan for a Mark VIII e-fan. It'll free up about 15 HP and 15 LB-FT and make the engine run much smoother.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #19
Mopower or no Power!!

Sweet Dually!
3rd Strike Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #20

Garage

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Freeze:
Also, ditch the clutch fan for a Mark VIII e-fan. It'll free up about 15 HP and 15 LB-FT and make the engine run much smoother.
oh really? Hummmm, Karla has a B-day coming up
nopeitsherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote