hello to all from new member - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #1

hello to all from new member

Hi. I am Terry (the t in mt-nest - m is my wife and the nest is a 30 1/2 foot prowler 5th wheel we pull with a 2003 2500 hemi). This is my first post here.

We are now traveling in the US (currently in Benson AZ). We work half the year in Canada and then spend what we earn on the road the rest of the year.

Lat year we pulled 26,000 kms --- from Home (mid-Canada->USA (central)->Mexico->USA (west coast)->Canada (Rockies/Yukon)->Alaska -> Canada (home) all with our then 'new to us' hemi. So far this year we have towed around 8000 kms.

I am not too wise in the way of newer motors (read anything that does not have a carb and does have a computer) but I sure like the hemi/RAM. I am not a big diesel fan (despite the better low rpm power). Too costly to repair for one thing.

I pull about 11,000 lbs (more or less depending on how much water etc. we are carrying). I have a 5 speed std and am pretty much stock other than I have added firestone air bags and 10 ply bridgestones. I cruise at 62mph in 5th at about 2000rpm on the flat at sea level - > 3000 feet but more often at 62mph in 4th at 2600 (in hills or higher elevations) as I am just on the threshold of power drop off due to low rpms).

We have never had any hills we could not handle in 3rd gear at 45mph (well one special one, but thats another story). We have lots of power in 3rd (45mph usually around 3500 but a shift to 4th then would drop the rpms to 12-1500 and the hill wins).

I use a semi-synthetic 5w-30 in the south and 10w-30 further North, and change around 3000miles. We have never had any engine problems and am now around 90,000 mi (150,000KM). Did I mention I love this motor? I had over 300,000 miles on a 350 previously (until transmission killed that ride).

When we get where ever we are at we unhitch and I get the pleasure of lots of power and great cruising in both stop-and-go and off road areas.

I hope to talk with other people about the hemi and/or who tow and to find some discussion about potential upgrades especially in the lower rpm areas as I feel that a few more hp will really help if I can get it at lower rpms (at higher rpms I don't have any problems other than speed traps).

Anyway hello to all -- hope this first post is not too long.
terry

mt-nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
&quotRANCHER&quot

Welcome mt-nest, glad to have ya join us. Man I wish my wife liked to travel like I do.
We have chapters all over the country, and in Canada so you might run into one of our members anywhere. I guess you'll be working the end of July. Our annual Rally will be in Ohio this year. We always have a few Canadians drive down for the fun. Enjoy the site and let us know if we can help.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

Terry. The fact that you travel alot gives you the opporunity to meet up with other hemi members all over. Glad you found our site and dont forget to give us all a holler when your going to be in an area. If your ever in NJ give me a buzz. Again welcome to the worldwide hemi family.
Hemi Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Director Emeritus

I'm really glad you joined us! There have been many, many questions over the years about the capabilities of the Hemi as a tow-motor and obviously with your comments so far, it's quite capable. Your experience will prove beneficial to us here at HTC!

Pup
HEMI-PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
semo03hemiram

Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #6

UsmcMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #7

Ill have to admit...Im a little jealous of the half-a-year off!! Cant wait till I can do the same!
Post a pic of your moose pullin the 5th wheel if you get a chance
GaTechHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Board of Directors

Garage

Terry
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
The Original Bee

HemiSuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote