Now what? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | At The Track > Drag Strip | Times, Tips and Tricks

Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #1

Now what?

Ok, so my best time before tonight was 14.8 no superchips, no intake, stock tires (not drag radials), no power wire. Tonight my first run was 14.71 and my best was 14.67. This is WITH superchips, power wire, drag radials and intake. I figured with all that crap I should be running better than .1 better than completely stock.

Suprisingly, with the drag radials my 60' time is not any better than stock (about 2.17). my MPH is only about 1 mph better.

Does this seem weird? For all the money I've spent on those upgrades and only running .1 better than 100% stock = not worth it. Doesn't it seem like with 28" drag radials I should be kicking *** on my 60' times? What do yall think?

Starchief_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
Board of Directors

Garage
Now what?

How much air pressure are you running in the drag radials at the track? How do you launch? Rev it to a certain RPM against the brake or just go from idle? Do the tires hook up?
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #3

Now what?

What size DR's? Are they spinning? Are you them up? Bringing up the rpm before launch?

What were the weather conditions between your old times and the new times?
DIBAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #4

Now what?

Weather and launch condition were about the same. Rev it to maybe 1500 and then go. The temp was low '50s. 30 psi. Absolutely no spin off the line with very little burn outs.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #5

Now what?

Just a thought, but the timers could have been off when you got your baseline times. Not likely but it is possible. Did you make more than one run on your stock times, and did you run in both lanes??
If you weren't spinning on your previous best, the only benifit of drag radials would be a slightly better overall gear ratio.
proudhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #6

Now what?

Yes, I ran probably 2 14.8Xs and 4 14.9Xs and maybe 5 15.00 when I went stock and ran I in both lanes. It was Halloween, there was like 10 cars running all night.

Last night was packed so there was no letting it cool off to 1/4 way up the temp gauge. I set my truck back to stock last night and I ran a 14.9. Not too far off from what I was running stock last time. I loaded my superchip and maxed everything out. I ran a 14.83 and then another with the power wire off and ran a 14.88. My best times were with the shift points at about 5950 and 5900 a few 14.6X and a few 14.7X.

I figured with tires over an inch shorter than stock tires that I would have much better 60' times.

These hemi trannies are just geared too far apart. It takes FOREVER and a half to get to the next gear. I was getting to about 1/3 of the way through 3rd gear where before I was barely hitting 3rd. I noticed most cars at the track are at least half way through 3rd and some even into 4th by the 1/8 mile.

I need some lower gears...BAD.

Some people said superchips knocked .4-.6 off their stock 1/4 times. Why not mine?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #7

Now what?

I know the frustration with spending money on mods and not seeing the results you expected.
Hope you can figure this out. I had to spend more money to get mine to move fast, lol
hemi_loredo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #8

Now what?

I just dont understand. I can clearly feel the difference on the street with my superchips. With my truck set to stock my best 0-60 was like 8.12. Now I can run consistant 7.00. How does that only make my truck .1 faster in the 1/4? and my 60' times not any better? Maybe it was a bad batch of gas. I'm gunna go back next week and see if the results are the same. It's fun either way. Well worth the 40 minute drive and the 20$.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #9

Now what?

I'm not sure where I'd point the blame Go and do a couple of WOT runs and monitor the knock retard with your superchips, check and see how much advance your getting at WOT too.
proudhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:16 AM   #10

Now what?

I don't even know what knock retard is but what kind of timing should I get? I've looked before and I think it was around 26??? Does that sound right? And what should my knock retard look like?