Do you remember? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | At The Track > Drag Strip | Times, Tips and Tricks

Old 11-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
Greg

Garage
Do you remember?

I saw Jungle Jim and Jungle Pam perform a couple of times, but that first time I was in total shock. Nothing back then could compare. Everything stopped to watch. It was fantastic and I still have flash backs everytime I'm at the track...
Those who remember know what I'm saying...

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 03:55 AM   #2
Board of Directors-Bill

Garage
I remember reading about them as a teen.
Never caught them at an event. Was thrilled to catch Garlits and Mildowny back in the day.
Just [email protected]

arocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:01 AM   #3
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arocketman View Post
I remember reading about them as a teen.
Never caught them at an event. Was thrilled to catch Garlits and Mildowny back in the day.
Yep, front engine dragster running sub 200mph was exciting. Spinning wheels not slipping clutches.... quite the show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #4

Garage
Think you might find this interesting, Jim and Pam were big staples around the Philly street racing crowd......

It began early. At 17 years of age Steve and his brother opened a small shop in the basement of their folks’ home, a small Pennsylvania cattle ranch. Street racing was big at the time; real American Graffiti-type stuff. Steve did the work on the cars and engines – he had that magic touch -- as older brother Bill talked up the business. Steve would build the motor in the basement, then use his dad’s tractor to hoist it out and into the customer’s car. One of his early efforts was to hop up friend Buddy Corleto’s Buick Century – it was fast, and word of mouth brought customers.

His first dragstrip race car was a ’54 Chevy p/u truck running a 283-inch mouse motor – also their daily driver parts truck. It proceeded to set the D/Gas record in Vineland, N.J., Langhorne Speedway, York, and Lancaster, where Bill Jenkins was the tech inspector. Other Kanuika cars included a B/Dragster powered by a 327 Chevy with a 4-71 GMC blower (in a Lynnwood Welding frame), a C/Gas Henry J, and the most famous, his C/Gas Willys pickup with a 301-inch injected mouse motor. It set the record at 10.80, 127mph and even made the cover of Drag Times.

In the early ‘60s, business was getting to be too much, so Mom finally threw ‘em out of the driveway. Steve immediately opened his first shop in Upper Darby, named Kanuika Bros. Automotive (in an old gas station). Steve’s talents continued to earn him a dedicated following in drag racing circles, and his business boomed - at one time he was operating four Steve Kanuika Speed Shops! Then came the "Jungle Jim" sponsorship, and the shop in Concordville, Pa. (with six employees) became the place where you could find the two "Jungle Jim" Chevy II Novas; it wasn’t far from Jungle’s “pad” in West Chester. Those were glory days - Kanuika and K&G were THE speed shops in the Philly area – no one else was even close.

Steve built his last racer; the ’69 Jungle Jim Camaro Super Stocker, with acid-dipped doors and frame, blueprinted 427-inch rat motor and all of the go-fast “stuff”. It was a 9.80s match racer, very popular, and another rolling billboard for his speed shops. This car still holds a class record! It was driven by Steve, and eventually sold to Dick Collins.

Speed parts were selling, the Jungle cars were winning, and it was all good. . During this time Steve had the success of having both his motors in the '69 Funny Car finals in both of "Jungle's" cars as well as sponsoring some of the greatest cars and drivers of the time. These included no less than Lew Arrington's Brutus, Roland Leong's Hawaiian, Mickey Thompson , Jade Grenade, Neil Mahr's Superpress as well as many other famous names like Dickie Harell , Goeske, and Lewis to name a few. He also was one of the first to offer chassis-dyno tuning and many innovative engine building techniques. Focusing on all aspects of the build and machine work totally in house. He was a true pioneer and a class act for the sport of drag racing. He never gave up the love even in his retirement, he would build motors by appointment, and had been working on several engine design patents.
ric3xrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
Greg

Garage
Good history lesson. Back in the day there wasnt any money and hot rodding wasn't so much about what was spent on a car but about innovation and fabrication. There were no catalogs to buy from. What speed parts that were available were passed around and slowly drifted down from the older guys to the younger. The junk yards were the source of bolts, lights, gauges, engines and any odd part needed. A real find was often a four barrel manifold carb setup for a basically stock engine that was dropped into a older car. These cars were dangerous at best with poor brakes and inadequate suspensions. Paint was rare, primer was the color most of our cars were painted. Street racing ruled. Strangely I miss those days without crate motors, billet this, powder coated that and disc brakes all around. Oh well... such it is today.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 12-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Garage
I wanted to clarify where I got that piece from
Classic Delaware County: K&G Speed Shop
K&G speed shop, Grumpy's and Watash were big time hang outs when I was growing up.
My uncle Joe ran a service station on the Roosevelt boulevard, just up from NABASCO and Across from the old Normandy farmers market. Lots of street racers would hang out there on Friday/Saturday nights, arranging matches, setting up grudge stuff, some were there just for the bench racing.
One night in 77 I think it was in May..(almost 40 years ago now) I was 8 , sitting on top of a work bench and Jim and Pam were there, she was wearing a white t-shirt with an Acto raceway logo, I remember that plain as day, those n!pples of hers were….well very visible, my eyes were fixed on them,..my mom had this openly gay friend John, who was always around, he had a wicked fast 32 Chevy with a 409 stuffed in it….any way he sits down next to me, lowers his head to see what I was staring at…he smiled looked at me and said , “your too young and I’m to gay to be looking at them this way”.
Friday Morning Sep 10 1977, I was getting ready for school ,my mom was in tears and my dad was on the phone talking to someone, saying Jim’s dead,, snapped a half shaft and that yellow plastic chunk of Chevy hooked hard left and hit a bus head on.
ric3xrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
Greg

Garage
I worked in a couple upholstery shops in my formative years before graduation from hs in San jose. One shop was just down the street from Goodies Speed Shop. When it first opened it was mostly used parts but quickly became the place to be. On Friday nights I'd get paid and go down there and hang out. The older guys would be bench Racing and working on their cars changing stuff around. Occasionally I could score a part. It was a good time..

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 12-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
tui

Garage
Two guys, Berry and Chung started a speed shop in my home town in the fifties when I was very young. Decent people considered they were doing the devils work. What with them old making cars fast and loud. Our parents warned us to stay away from their workshop. Of course thats where we were in droves hanging around their front door as they revved their engines. Fond memories.
tui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #9
Greg

Garage
If you have any frag strips around I'd advise staying away from it. Souping up the ole hemi is very addictive...

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 12-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
tui

Garage
There are several drag strips around the country but in general they are only open on weekends.

I took the Eldorado down the asphalt once and fell asleep on the way to 16 seconds at 95 for the quarter.
tui is offline   Reply With Quote