90 Acclaim hard start in cold - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > Other Vehicles

Old 03-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Graphemi

90 Acclaim hard start in cold

Hey, you guys have any ideas on this...Got the Acclaim close to running great, but if the temp is below 40 or so it is real hard to start. Have to crank on it 4 or 5 times, and the weird thing is if you mess with the gas pedal, like it is carbuerated it helps. And it isn't carbuerated. Once it is 50ish it starts right away. Always idles a little rough for a sec, but kicks out of it fairly quick every time. That is only when it has sat for a while. If you are driving it, go to the store, and get back in, it fires up right away, no problem with idle. But I got the whole gasket kit in it, new water pump, new timing belt, new oil sending unit (was leaking like a sive). I put a new coolant temp sensor and temp sensor switch in it last year, so I am wondering what the heck causes this new issue. A guy I know said it sounded like a sensor of some sort with the whole gas pedal making a difference. I would have drove it this winter some had it started to save the MPG. But other than that the issues are minimal, and liveable at this point. I might throw some front sway bar links on it this year. Seems a little rattley. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #2

ASMOIL 0W-30 has great cold start ability down to -54C/-65F.

Also if your vehicle sits for long periods it's a good idea to use Gas Stabilizer which AMSOIL also carries.
BigART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Graphemi

I think this is beyond oil. It doesn't have to be sub freezing or anything. Seems like below 40 or so. I don't know. The car is old. But I am not running $8/qt oil in it. I can tell you that for sure. I don't know if it is still leaking oil or not. Not going to find out either...hehe. I have some gas stabilizer I can use in it. I just would like to be able to use this car all year round. Although 9 months out of the year isn't horrible. I just don't like letting a car sit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #4

You can always use XL which is less then $5 a quart and will last 6months.

I'm not familiar with the Acclaim.

Check these...
Cap and Rotor?
Plugs?
Fuel Filter?

Gas Stabilizer might be the ticket since it sits a lot. Maybe some Performance Improver as well to clean up the fuel system.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Graphemi

i am not sure what route I want to take quite yet with it as far as oil goes. Before it was leaking a qt/week. I am sure that is a lot better now, but not sure how much. i had it fixed right before I couldn't drive it. So not sure how or if it is leaking now. I am definitely going to run a bottle of PI through it. Maybe two. It definitely has some Carbon buildup. I cleaned a lot of it out when I did the head gasket. So now would be a good time to run that through and do the finishing touches as far as that goes. I think there is some sort of temp sensor, or something bad that can't decide whether to underfuel/overfuel, or what in cold weather. Just not sure what sensor...hehe. if the thing isn't leaking oil anymore, I probably will switch it over to XL or something similar. We'll see. heck, I would run the ASL in it for a year if it doesn't leak. But I don't think the car is worth the 2000. It is a 1990 and I only paid 1500 for it. It is fairly low miles though. Just old.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #6

I don't blame you if it's leaking.

Read the bottle on the PI. 6 ounces per 10 gallons for initial clean up. 1 ouce per 10 gallons for continued use afterwards.

There's a new concentrated dose for up to 20gallons now.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Graphemi

Man, I am still going through oil quite a bit too. I know the rear main leaks some, but it doesn't leave spots hardly ever on the ground. It is coating the bottom of the oil pan/tranny housing and you can tell it is coming out of that general area, but dang, you would think going through a quart/tank of gas it would be leaving puddles. I might be putting a rear main and an oil pan gasket in it while I am there depending on how much the local shop is wanting. It would be a job, but I already did the head gasket/all other gaskets/water pump and timing belt on my own. I think I should be able to manage if I have to. I have the "Hanes manual" on the car too. Seems like the big thing is just getting the tranny loose from the motor. And supporting the motor. Any thoughts to persuade me either way. $20 for the oil pan and rear main seal. Not sure on the shop cost yet, but I am sure $20 is going to be enticing. Of course tranny fluid too, but it can't hold that much anyways.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #8

Sounds like it will cost more then the car is worth.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Graphemi

Well, kinda, but the car is only at 70k and it is in great shape and drives fine for 17 years old. Plus 28mpg is nice for the trip to work instead of the 14 my truck gets. And it keeps the miles off the truck. I am only at 40k and it is an 03. So, if I can do it for 20 bucks plus tranny fluid, that would be nice especially if I get a few years out of it. After that all the seals would be new. So i would imaging it would run good for a while. Aside from the norm...alternator, starter, simple stuff. It saves me $150/month in gas vs. driving the truck to work.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #10

If it's in the budget and not to expensive overall then get it fixed.

I can't fit in a small car, so I'm 90% in the truck, 9.9% my bike and .1% my wifes mustang.