Buying an extended warranty early. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Warranty, Recall & Service Bulletin Info

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Buying an extended warranty early.

Other than saving the price increases, is there any benefit in buying an extended warranty in the first year of ownership?

2015 Subaru Outback
2006 Gold Wing
1999 Valkyrie Interstate
Big Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
Other than saving the price increases, is there any benefit in buying an extended warranty in the first year of ownership?
I special ordered my truck and got the best extended warranty they had, 10 years 100,000 miles, and in hindsight I wished I hadn't. When I bought my truck I wasn't thinking of mods at the time... it was a new truck! But now after only owning it for two years I'm constantly worrying if the modifications I do will void the remaining 8 years of my warranty. I wished I spent the money on mods instead of the warranty!

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
BIG RED HEMI MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED HEMI MN View Post
I special ordered my truck and got the best extended warranty they had, 10 years 100,000 miles, and in hindsight I wished I hadn't. When I bought my truck I wasn't thinking of mods at the time... it was a new truck! But now after only owning it for two years I'm constantly worrying if the modifications I do will void the remaining 8 years of my warranty. I wished I spent the money on mods instead of the warranty!
--------------------------------------
The only one I've had experience with is the 10 y / 100K warranty which came with a little KIA that I own - it came standard with the car - and they stand behind it...
Paying for something they should cover goes against my grain .
BIG RED HEMI MN likes this.
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #4

Just got a notice of a price increase.. Goes up 3% on March 31. Gotta decide this week....
2015 Subaru Outback
2006 Gold Wing
1999 Valkyrie Interstate
Old 03-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Greg

Garage
Personally I'd crush my truck before taking it to a dealer.. with that said, if you are really concerned about repair cost take the cost of the warranty and put it in a bank and sit on it. That way you don't have to convince some a$$hole to replace the transmission after it has failed for one reason or another.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
Personally I'd crush my truck before taking it to a dealer.. with that said, if you are really concerned about repair cost take the cost of the warranty and put it in a bank and sit on it. That way you don't have to convince some a$$hole to replace the transmission after it has failed for one reason or another.
You must have had some bad experiences at your dealer...

Not many folks can let the price of a warranty sit in a bank for 8 years without touching it..
Kind of like our Govt. keeping it's hands off of Social Security. It's too tempting to say "I'll pay it back later".
2015 Subaru Outback
2006 Gold Wing
1999 Valkyrie Interstate
Old 03-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Greg

Garage
Unfortunately my experience hasn't been any different than others. With the exception that I know gen lll rams pretty good and when I'm told nonsense I recognise it for what it is. Plus standing in Parts Dept trying get some part numbers. The service manager and sales manager were in a huddle working out details of a screw job on a used car sale. Basically one would lie about the car and service it had and the other would casually slide by and confirm the lie. The old I'll lie and you'll swear to it routine. And then I had a Diablo tuner lockup my pcm and took it in to have it reset and updated. Had the service manager write across the service form DO NOT TEST DRIVE! 5 minutes later it goes out the back door. It was not pretty or quiet when it got back. Plus the pcm was not updated and was told that it had been updated but the new version number wouldn't save. Are you fukkn kidding me?

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #8

Talking

Wish we could get an extended warranty allowing "KEITH" to do everything . That would be easily worth it .
Old 03-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #9

Well I bit the Bullet yesterday.. 8 Years 125 K miles 0 Deductible.

Go here for the price.... Obtaining A Genuine Manufacturer Warranty Quote Is Easy!
2015 Subaru Outback
2006 Gold Wing
1999 Valkyrie Interstate
Old 03-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #10

Lightbulb

- Hope it just turns out to be an insurance policy that you won't need and your truck never gives you any problems - in my opinion that would be the best outcome; if you ever do use it on something really major your expenditure should be worthwhile.