...we got a tranny problem! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
&quotCompa&ntildeero&quot

...we got a tranny problem!

Cranked up my '05 Ram 1500 today to go to the store and my reverse didn't go. Finally after reving it up it went but far from normal. I guess it's the filter check I've read about. When I checked the fluid it was high on the dip stick as if it was all in the pan. I replaced the filters about 7,000 miles ago when I installed the PML pan. We'll see what the dealer does tomorrow...I also got a code, but my Flashpaq kept reading an error and wouldn't read it. I re-programed it back to stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #2

Mine didn't want to shift into 5th this morning.... it was 8*F. Guessing it wasn't that cold?
Good idea on taking it to the dealer.
Big Budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #3

It was 47* when I had the problem...they say it happens when it sits overnight or longer...a couple weeks ago I parked it at the airport for nearly a month while I was overseas. We'll see...film at eleven!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #4

Garage

Mine sometimes does that for a second or two, then gradually begins to move. Think it's just the cold fluid trying to run through, but not sure about 47 degrees. Let us know what the dealer thinks.
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #5

I called the dealership at 0830 this morning to make sure they had me scheduled for the appointment I requested on their web site...they hadn't checked their e-mail yet. They told me it would be OK to drive the truck in. I pulled off my "Power Wire" (I had already re-programed it back to stock) and then, pulled out from the house having to rev the engine up to get it moving. All the way on the 20 mile drive it stayed in 3rd and didn't seem to down shift at stops and I couldn't tell if it was up shifting either. I walked around for 1 1/2 hours looking at the high priced stickers on the 2008 models until I got the verdict. They told me it appeared to be sucking air in to the converter and they need to check into it more...I had three codes: 0944, 0876 & 0891. I was picked up by Enterprise and taken to rent a car for the night, which was covered by the warranty. I rented a new Dodge Grand Caravan which was very nice, very peppy and 25 mpg all the way home. Under the hood it had a 3.7 liter V-6 sitting east to west. They'll call me in the morning when it's ready...more film at eleven.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #6

hmm im having the same problem with my 04
Rocky31186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #7

Hey Rocky; When you shift into a gear does it just sit there? Do you have to keep reving it until it slowly takes off? If so you may have the same illness...are you throwing any codes?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #8

damn i got an 05 also not having any problems yet at 36,000 i think i better take mine in for service soon

05 mineral gray laramie QC \Volant cai\Edelbrock headers(TES)Mid-length\Gibson dualsport exhaust\Superchips flashpaq\3.92 anti-spin\20"stock wheels\Hemisport body kit with Daytona exhaust exit cutout\Hemibedliner\SRT-10 a-pillar gauge\bolt on hoodscoop\ Coming soon Aero Turbine 3030 muffler, a drop kit, traction bars,Hellwig swaybar,SRT10 hood and SRT 22" rims
Silveradohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #9

I had a problem with the ATF foaming and the tranny would hardly move the truck. The dealer found that the filters I used were wrong...one didn't seal properly and the other didn't have a check valve in it. I used what NAPA had as a replacement and I compared them before installing and all looked good...and they were in use for a year before I had the foaming problem. But all is good after they R/R the filters. So my advice is to use the Mopar filters when you do your change...good luck.