Hemi Truck Club banner

Vibration at 90 mph

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Stormtrooper Hemi 
#1 ·
So I recently discovered I have a vibration from under the truck starting at 90mph. I feel it in the seat but not the steering wheel. I'm thinking it's either the driveshaft or pinion nut. However according to the recall website my truck has already had the pinion retainer installed. It's an 05 dodge ram 2wd. Any thoughts

#2 ·
With a vibration I would start with a dynmic balance on a high end tire machine that also analyses the tires roundness. I chased a vibration for 3 months. Turned out to be a couple of the new tires had hard spots. They would balance but rode like on train tracks. I rebuilt everything up to the actual tranmission main body including the tail housing. I couldn't believe new high performance tires could be the issue.
Story time: a buddy of mine kid brother asked me what I thought his high speed vibration was on his harley. I took it out and ran it up to around 100mph and told him I didn't feel anything unusual for a harley. He said oh, it's a high speed vibration.... that's when I knew he was messing with me....

#5 ·
Not for the faint of heart, jack it up on stands and spin it up.. look for something shaking..

#7 ·
Because of the relatively high speed, I would suspect the driveshaft. A drive line shop can spin it to check the balance..

#10 ·
2wd or 4X4? If 4x4 check your front drive parts. Mine had loose CV axles that caused a vibration at 73 mph. but it smoothed out after low 80's. just another thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.