Hemi Truck Club banner

Symptoms - driveshaft

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
Just wondering what some symptoms are of issues with the driveshaft AND differential? I noticed I have a leak at the u-joint where the differential is...also, ONLY since I had new tires put on I've had what feels like wheel wobble/hop at 40-45 mph and 56+. Could this be the issue?

#2 ·
I would have the tire checked for possible balance issue but if you have a leak the pinion seal is the likely culprit there fairly easy to change out in a drive way assembly torque is the key to not destroying the pinion bearings from over torque and while down there I would check for any play I the u-joints if any replace can cause a vibration also

Are you hearing any squeeking or weird noises

#3 ·
when breaking there's squeaking, even though i just replaced the pads. also get a grown/whine when in reverse pressing the gas or going up a driveway...and sometimes accelerating from a stopped position.

#5 ·
I'm in total agreement with what's been stated. Sounds like you need a seal and a Ujoint. A rythmic sound and squeak are very good indicators of a Ujoint. While a pinion leak is a seal.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Looked on youtube for similar issues.

Found this differential whine

That's what my truck sounds like on rare occasion going forward, and every time going up a driveway in reverse.

#7 ·
here's some pics I just took. Doesn't seem to be any play in it at all.

#9 ·
After having the truck looked at, turns out the place that put my tires on had EVERY tire OUT of balance. Even after they had rebalanced them twice. They're excuse was the truck was getting old, and that just happens. No refund/compensation. Went to Tireman in Findlay, $40, everything fine.

#10 ·
That excuse they used is old. When they lose business that just happens too. Glad you got 'em balanced right.

#11 ·
Me too. Was grinnin' ear to ear going down the interstate.

#12 ·
I had tire nightmare with the Dunlop SP5000 that I bought. The shop tried hard and never got them right On my own dime took it to a high end shop and had them run on their computer machine and found the tires could be balanced but had hard spots that made the ride horrible. Original shop replaced them, but I was so convinced that it wasn't the new tires I ended up rebuilding the tailshaft and rearend before going back to further checking the tires. If you change the tires and have a vibration then it is the tires that are the problem, plain and simple. OBTW, you still have a seal leak to take care of and if you don't do it right you will probably be replacing the pinion bearings soon after. I recommend doing it yourself to get it right the shops typically just impact the nut back on without checking torque or torsional load. Good luck..

#13 ·
Figured it was a tire

As for the seal leaking measure rotational force before nut removal and paint the pinion/nut straight across so you will have a general idea of where the nut needs to stop when going back together saves time and avoids damage

#14 ·
Figured it was a tire

As for the seal leaking measure rotational force before nut removal and paint the pinion/nut straight across so you will have a general idea of where the nut needs to stop when going back together saves time and avoids damage

Yep, I agree, keep in mind that if you overtighthen the pinion nut you have to go back and replace the crush collar and start over. So watching the mark you put on the nut allows you to creep up to the mark slowly. Don't forget to use loktite on the nut as you will be reusing the old nut. easy money....

#15 ·
yes yes I know I know...can't I celebrate one victory! :)

Planning on doing this when it's a little warmer out.

#17 ·
actually, I do have undercoating on the truck...but it's almost 5 years old.

#19 ·
ahh yes wieght....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.