Hemi Truck Club banner

Son in Law rear end question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  YeahItsAHemi 
#1 ·
My son in law was out of town and being the so called mechanic he is put a complete rear end in my truck the old one tore up he said have not looked but the ratio was a 3.92 an to begin with he put a 3.55 in it does ok but wont shift right and of course mph is off can i reprogram to fix that or should i try to fix or find a a 3.92 Thanks

#2 ·
Is it a 4wd truck? If it is you have to change the gears out to match one or the other. You’ll blow up your transfer case. Gear changes shouldn’t effect the speedometer, the dodges use a speed sensor in the differential or in the front abs hub so the gear don’t change the speedo, only tire size changing.

#6 ·
VSS is read off of the differential tone ring and has nothing to do with gear ratio. It simple meases differential rotation. Speedo adjustment is only needed if tire height is changed and then it is adusted in the tune.

#9 ·
The 3:55 was often found on the base line trucks with 17" wheel from the factory. The 3:92 mostly came with the 20" wheel package and traction control.

Reactions: fever42
#10 ·
I did a gps test and followed my wife’s car tonight. My speedometer read the same across everything. I changed my gear ratios from the factory 3.92 to 4.56 with no adjustments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.