Shredded rear diff clutches !@#$% - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 04-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #1

Shredded rear diff clutches [email protected]#$%

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I was told it was from spinning the tires too hard. With the 3:92 rear end and the twentys my truck won't spin tooo much before it catches and is gone. Are these rear ends not made for some level of abuse? I didn't know I needed to baby this thing. Is there a heavier system that wont crap itself after a little fun? When I super charge this thing I'll be replacing it weekly if a little spin is all it takes to destroy it.

ROLMDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage

This is the first I heard of it... what is the dealership going to do for you?
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #3

Landmark Dodge Chrysler Jeep. I work For them In Sales, They say they will cover it under 7/70 warranty. I'm at 50k so if this is going to be a persistant problem I've only got another 20K of freebys. When I SC this thing I'll deffinatly need an upgrade.
ROLMDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #4

This is a "Limited" slip. It WILL slip. One time while making my own road through the woods I got a front tire on a berm which really loaded the oppsite rear tire, I heard some moaning from the diff and reallized I was spinning the unloaded one. I would imagine if I stayed in the gas I would have burned up some clutches. Anything like that happen to you?
TR1 Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

UG... Dont side like problems I want to deal with.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ROLMDL:
I didn't know I needed to baby this thing. Is there a heavier system that wont crap itself after a little fun? When I super charge this thing I'll be replacing it weekly if a little spin is all it takes to destroy it.
depends on how extreme you want to go. there's always a locker as an option for you. most of them are rated at insane hp and torque tolerances. you'll snap an axle long before you destroy a detroit. that's their reputation anyway. i personally just had a powertrax no-slip installed in my truck. see the thread in this forum titled "powertrax?" if you want more info.
SLINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:23 PM   #7

Thats the problem with a L/S. The clutches are gonna wear out over time or, like above, they will fail because of their weak design. If I were gonna run a SC or be doin a lot of John Force style burnouts I'd go with a true locker.
Bulldog_HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #8

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bulldog_HEMI:
Thats the problem with a L/S. The clutches are gonna wear out over time or, like above, they will fail because of their weak design. If I were gonna run a SC or be doin a lot of John Force style burnouts I'd go with a true locker.

Well then I better settle down with my John force type burnout's.. I wonder if the 2500 units have a low quality LM unit as well :
..easy on the s
5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #9

I have a similar situation. The clutch isn't burnt up, but the retaining clip that hold the guide pin in place broke. I think this is a defect because I don't smoke my tires and only have 39,000 miles on it. I also know of two durangos that the same thing happened to (don't know if they share the same diff). I go in Monday to have the whole carrier group replaced.
AFHemi is offline   Reply With Quote