Hemi Truck Club banner

rebuilt transmission

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Ghost03hemi 
#1 · (Edited)
suffering from sticker shock, there was a site online that advertized a 46re for around $290 :ermm: talked to a dealer and they said rebuilt $3500 (ballpark).
if i want to try an install am i looking at a pay now or pay later lesson ?

#2 · (Edited)
46rh Master rebuild kit is $475. A rebuilt race trans is around $4,000. With prices ranging all between. The tq converter is a 46rh. Need a PATC special flex plate and 46rh starter motor and shifter. The cross member and driveshaft fit....
It comes down to what you want to do.. 500hp you need to spend around $2500. If you are 800hp+ I recommend spending the $6,000 and be done with itm

Reactions: Dodge_Truck_Owner
#5 ·
Hey Thanks, Redtruck-VA, YeahItsAHemi, Ghost03hemi. Am wanting to replace the 545rfe in the '04. The asking price from that online place was for pulled transmissions. I couldn't stop looking at the price tag. Been doing the research on rebuilt vs. reman., and 1yr/12k vs. 5yr. warranties.

#9 ·
Yep, if you just want a stock truck then I wouldn’t really consider a 46re swap. You’ll have to deal with some custom setup to retain a “drive” gear function or convert to a fully manual valvebody with a shifter you use all the time. Plus the gear ratios are worse in the 46re so you’ll be losing acceleration. If you have extra power or plan to regear the rear end then it’s not that big of a deal. I would just consider buying a used trans for a couple hundred bucks and using that till it dies. Seems like most people get into more trouble once they start getting rebuilt 545rfe’s. Sometimes they work, sometimes they get a few thousand miles before they crap out again

#10 ·
Seems like most people get into more trouble once they start getting rebuilt 545rfe’s. Sometimes they work, sometimes they get a few thousand miles before they crap out again
I agree. Mine lasted 2.5 years and started acting up. Even from the start it shifted different then stock and not in a better way.:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.