Hemi Truck Club banner

Rebuilding and swapping a 46re into my 03 Ram

10K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  YeahItsAHemi 
#1 ·
I may as well start my own thread since I will be attempting to rebuild the trans myself, I've never gotten into a transmission before. It looks fairly easy to pull out-replace-put in, I just need to really watch any certain clearances and upgrades to handle the power. Just as a quick background this will be going in my 03 Quad cab with a 392 stroker, and its getting a manual vlavebody with a TCI Outlaw shifter.

See less See more
#32 ·
Yeah I’ve been soaking all of them, it’s just gonna be a few weeks from when they got soaked to when the trans will be running. Also I’ve been living up everything that gets installed

#33 ·
Ok now my next question. Should I be using a blocker rod or the accumulator spring? My kit didn’t come with a blocker rod. I’m using the Sonnax aluminum accumulator, so it’s beefier then the stock plastic junk. Also I’m trying to use the thicker o rings that came with Copes valvebody on the accumulator piston and it’s not wanting to go in the bore...

#34 ·
And found another small snag. Since the valvebody is a custom billet one, the old valvebody bolts are too long in 6 spots. I’m kinda surprised John didn’t mention that, so now I gotta find 6 more bolts for it. I’ll have to get the thread size tomorrow and see if I can find anything in the hardware stores

#37 ·
That would be a good idea but the bolts are only threaded about half way up, in this case it’s not gonna work out

#36 ·
But for the moment it’s pretty much all back together

Attachments

#39 ·
Ok gonna update this thread to keep it following the project.

Valve body bolts for the custom billet vb were nine 1/4-20's by 1-1/4", and one 1/4-20 by 1-3/4". I just got stainless steel bolts from the hardware store.

I used the trans mount from the 2nd gen ram 4x4, it bolted directly to the cross member on my 03 truck. I accidently got a mount from an earlier 46RH so I trimmed a few places but I'm sure the RE bracket would fit with out any trimming.

The trans bolted up without many issues, I trimmed the block slightly to give the starter some extra clearance. The transfer case went in even easier then it did on the old 545, there was alot more room on the top of the trans to reach the bolts. The only issue I'm having is the front drive shaft is very close to the trans pan, and even less room with the shift cable bracket installed. I'm going to grind out the bolt holes on the bracket to shift it towards the trans and slightly grind the edge for more clearance.

#42 · (Edited)
Sorry I got sidetracked on what info I posted in several different threads. But here is the run down of what went into mine

46re 4wd trans from a 96-01 Ram. This is the one you want for the 4wd overdrive housing to be the same length as a 545 4wd.

PATC Stage 3 rebuild kit. This has an upgraded direct drum that fits extra clutches, the MEGA overdrive spring, all the clutches and steels, gaskets, orings, etc...this kit did not include any new brass bushings or shims for the overdrive piston. Honestly if I had to do it over again I would probably get a complete rebuild kit from Cope. I did not purchase a convertor through them, I just had them remove it from the bill so the rebuild kit was around $700
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...level-3-extreme-duty-mega-viper-transmission/

Cope Racing Billet Reverse Manual Valvebody. No trans brake, pattern is P-R-1-2-3-4. I can't recommend this highly enough, it was the most expensive part but my favorite thing about having this transmission. This should require his billet filter extension also

500 518 618 REVERSE MANUAL VALVE BODY LOCK UP | Cope Racing

Cope Racing billet servo
727 Billet Aluminum low/rev servo 62-66 | Cope Racing

Cope Racing Trans Pan. I think this is the one I got, not totally sure. It did include the billet filter extension
r
727 Deep Aluminum Pan | Cope Racing

Edge 3200 Street convertor. I bought this off of Greg when he upgraded to Martins convertor.
Street Edge - Billet a518/46 RH RE [SE 46rh/re] - $545.00 : Edge Racing Converters, More Horsepower with More Torque Guaranteed!

Flex plate adapter for a Hemi
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...-on-late-model-5-7-and-6-1-liter-hemi-motors/

Stock dipstick tube from the 46re

20 feet of -6AN hose for the trans cooler, 2 90 degree fittings, 2 straight fittings, and a -6AN to quick connect adapter. Can't remember if it was 5/16" or 3/8"

I used the trans mount from a 4wd 46RH (accidently, I wanted the RE mount) and it fit with some slight grinding on the mounting holes to line up. That bolted straight to the stock trans crossmember on my truck.

Starter from a 99 Ram 1500 4wd 5.9 engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.