Rear differential - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Rear differential

Ok guys, I THINK im having an issue with my rear ABS sensor. I think I may have some junk in the differential. So, I think Im gonna change the fluid and inspect it.

Im hearing about some clutch clip in there that might be broke. My question is what fluid do I use and do I need any additives? Also, if that clip is broke, is that something I can get at a parts store or does it have to be bought at a dealership?

My truck is an '03 1500 QC 4x4 hemi. According to my build sheet my rear is a Corproate 9.25 LD rear axle with a 3.55 gear ratio

pri_i_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
John

Garage
Use Synthetic gear lubricant SAE 75W140, and if it is limited slip, add 4oz of Mopar limited slip additive or equivalent first, then top off with the 75W140. I use Valvoline 75W140 Synthetic Gear Oil in my corporate 9.25 rear diff. without limited slip. Mine took almost 3 quarts @ $20.00 per quart. I had to change mine out because my ABS Tone Ring had three teeth missing, which caused my ABS Sensor signal to be erratic. No other damage was found so I don't know what damaged the Tone (Exciter) Ring.

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Do I have to get that at the dealer or us the LS additive from thw parts store ok? Also, is mine a LSD? It says LD but I dont know what that means
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
easiest way to check is to lay down some rubber 2marks is an lsd one is an open diff haha

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pri_i_oh View Post
Do I have to get that at the dealer or us the LS additive from thw parts store ok? Also, is mine a LSD? It says LD but I dont know what that means
"LD" is light duty. You can get the additive at any of the big-box stores along with the fluid.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
John

Garage
When you pull the cover it will be easy to see if you have a clutch pack or just the spider gears visible. No clutch pack, then no need for the additive. Most likely if you find broken parts, you will have to go to a Mopar dealer for replacements. You can get a new aftermarket speed sensor. I replaced mine with a Mopar replacement unit.

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #7

well, the hits just keep on coming. according to the dealer I do not have an LSD. on the way to work my blend door stopped working. On the way home I started to smell brakes burning. Smelled like right rear but there's no brake dust. would something in the differential make a smell like that? visibly I cant see anything wrong with my brakes yet but I haven't taken the wheels off yet either.

I planned on changing the fluid in the rear end tonight
Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Harrold View Post
Use Synthetic gear lubricant SAE 75W140, and if it is limited slip, add 4oz of Mopar limited slip additive or equivalent first, then top off with the 75W140. I use Valvoline 75W140 Synthetic Gear Oil in my corporate 9.25 rear diff. without limited slip. Mine took almost 3 quarts @ $20.00 per quart. I had to change mine out because my ABS Tone Ring had three teeth missing, which caused my ABS Sensor signal to be erratic. No other damage was found so I don't know what damaged the Tone (Exciter) Ring.
was it still drivable with that tone ring all chewed up? is that an expensive part?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
as for the brakes the next time you smell it, walk around and put your hand by each rim,but dont touch...if a caliper stuck ,one rim will be significantly hotter than the others, when mine stuck i could see the heat wave comming off it, was just a dirty caliper, cleaned and lubed with anti sieze and been fine for the last 8 months so far.

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #10

Thats the thing, I did exactly that. Ive been working on this stuff for 20 years but this hemi is doing dumb ****....lol...little heat and no heat