Hemi Truck Club banner

O/D button relocation

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ram-head 
#1 ·
I mentioned this a year or so ago and it didn't get any response so I thought I would run it by again. Some folks use aftermarket floorshifters and remove the column lever. This presents the need to relocate the OD button. I always drop out of OD when I accellerate hard believing it makes life easier on the transmission. I use a SLT steering wheel with all the aux buttons on it. On the back of the wheel are two buttons, one on each side. I chased the wires down to the clockspring and connected the OD button to them. Now when I want to trigger the O/D I can press the button on either side and wala.. What I really like about this setup is it didn't require adding anything and after doing the mod I would do it again even if I hadn't removed the shift lever. It's just plain convenient. Also as we often find doing one mod brings up the need for another. The floorshift is great fun, but it can be left in gear and the engine turned off without warning the driver. This is dangerous as the truck can roll off if the ebrake isn't set. Also it won't start without being placed in P/N. So here's the plan, the ignition key sounds a Ding when the key is left in the ignition and the door is opened. So place a contact switch on the shifter Park position and tie the ignition key "in" sensor to the Park switch. Now if the shifter is not in Park and the door is opened you get the Ding. Took me a six pack to figure that out. Of course I have another switch I installed years ago that eliminated the door Ding so now I have to learn to leave that switch turned on. Amazing how modding seems to always tie things together.

See less See more
#3 ·
A few guys have added a console. I believe Weedhoe is the leader in fabricating custom interior pieces. Most just mount a floor shifter to the floor. I use a TCI FastGate.

You can usually find SLT steering wheels on ebay.

#5 ·
I have an aftermarket headunit. So I don't see a benefit to me adding an SLT steering wheel. I was more curious about adding in the OEM center console and shifter than having something custom or aftermarket done. With all the right factory parts, wouldn't that include an OD off button and the up/down gear select buttons? It's not something I'll be doing for a long time...just curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.