Lots of knocking on start - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 10-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Lots of knocking on start

Hello all: New guy here and if this has been talked about already, I apologize. I searched, didn't find or missed it being discussed. My 2014 1500 Ram has 26k miles. When I start it after sitting for a while, it knocks heavy in the low end (sounds like to me) and the valve train is really noisy. It's as though the oil is not circulating. If it sits for a month (which it does a lot) it will knock for almost 5 mins. Dealership acts like they've never heard it, which I'm sure is less than honest. What do I do??

Mkandjettsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
Tyler

How many miles on it and are there any drive-ability issues?
Stroked 397ci Hemi, Custom grind Ray Barton cam, Eagle heads, Functional Shaker hood, MM 87mm throttle body, Motive Gear 4:56 gears, Dynomax VT, Edge 3200 converter, Updated ignition coil conversion, Mopar side skirts, SRT 10 front fascia, Custom roll pan. 180 stat, JBA longtube headers, Rear 2" drop shackles, Custom Katzkin leather seats, many more interior and exterior touches...
TYSENUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Greg

Garage
OPEN said 26k. You mention valve train and heavy bottom end knock. Is it both or one or the other?

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

26,000 miles with no drivability issues.

The knocks are both a heavy low end feeling knock that doesn't last quite as long as the valve noise.

Could this be a sticking valve? Maybe related to variable valve timing functionality ? Would that not show a code?
Old 10-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #5

I was reading on another forum where there was some bad oil filters out there and were leaking, guy took his truck in for engine noise and it was 2 quarts low because of the filter. Just a thought.
Kincer04HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Good thought but this has been happening across the life of the truck so far. Five oil changes, very little pulling, it's been well cared for.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
Greg

Garage
Your truck is too new for me to really know it. But any bottom end knock is a concern in my book. With both valve noise and the initial knock I get the gut feeling that the engine is losing prime. I have never heard of a hemi having this problem. Have you done a filter change? And did it knock both before and afterwards? Does the oil pressure gauge show pressure immediately? Does the 2014 show actual pressure or is still an idiot light that looks like a gauge?

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #8

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkandjettsdad View Post
Hello all: New guy here and if this has been talked about already, I apologize. I searched, didn't find or missed it being discussed. My 2014 1500 Ram has 26k miles. When I start it after sitting for a while, it knocks heavy in the low end (sounds like to me) and the valve train is really noisy. It's as though the oil is not circulating. If it sits for a month (which it does a lot) it will knock for almost 5 mins. Dealership acts like they've never heard it, which I'm sure is less than honest. What do I do??
---------------------------------------

Bottom-end knocking never sounds good . Check out the source immediately - however the 'Hemi-Tick' may just be normal...

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #9

Was about to respond with "if started daily does not have the problem" and then went out to check the oil pressure gauge, and it did it again! I had it running not 2 hours earlier. Really disappointed at the moment... what I've done is take it to my regular mechanic, and he's going to start it in 4-5 days and let me know what he thinks. The dealership is pretty much worthless right now. They said it "didn't knock at all" which that would be the only time it has never knocked after long sit time.

To answer the guage question: it has a digital guage, oil pressure takes 2-3 secs to register. Idle and cruise it's 35-53 psi.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
---------------------------------------

Bottom-end knocking never sounds good . Check out the source immediately - however the 'Hemi-Tick' may just be normal...

I'm wondering if it is just normal? Or st least some of it? I don't imagine the manufacture thought there'd be a guy not running it for a month at a time. Although it did literally take 4-5 min for the knockingvgo stop after the last 5 week sit.

What is "Hemi tic"?