Hemi Truck Club banner

Looking for experience on torque converters

4K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  morgancal 
#1 ·
So I have talked to my tuner and have the understanding that my tc is my missing component to really get my truck running right. Right now I have 4.56, lt headers, 268 comp cam, and tune.

Has anyone ever taken down a trans on the ground? My main reason I haven't done the tc is because I dont have access to a lift. Has anyone been successful dropping the trans with the truck o the ground. I really want to do this project but not at the expense of running into major problems.

What yall think?

#3 ·
Yeah I do all my stuff on the ground. It’s not bad at all. I’m sure an actual trans jack would make it easier (and much safer) but I just use a floor jack. The transfer case is difficult to remove though. If you don’t have someone helping you it’s not fun either. It takes a good bit of manhandling to move it around under the truck, it weighs damn near 250lbs

#4 ·
The 2800 stall I had before was really nice with the small cam. It’s not the greatest if you tow much, it will build up a lot more gear around town

#5 ·
Thanks chris. Do you jack up the truck at all. Mine is stock height. Wasnt sure if I needed the clearance to get the trans out. Mayb I can just drop it down, slap the converter in and then put it back up. Not even pull out from under the truck

#6 ·
From my experience, I really like the 2800 for a all purpose street truck. Next the 3000 stall for more performance oriented truck. And 3500 for trucks with a lot of hp and taller gears. I ran 4:10 gear with 28", 3000 with 31" and 3500 stall with 3:92 and 31" tire. With the 3500 stall, 31" tire and manual valve body I don't bother with 1st gear and use 2nd and 3rd in town.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes. If the stall is 3000 rpm there is increasing resistance until stall is reach. This can be felt in any gear that is below stall. The torque converter also has clutches inside that are controlled by the tcm (lockup) that engage at cruise to provide lower rpm running. You generally won't notice the higher stall while driving except in 1st gear.

#11 ·
Also the 545rfe tcm modulates the lockup engagement and disengagement to enhance the quality of the shift for a smoother transition.

#14 · (Edited)
The 4.56 gears will help take some of the strain off the 545rfe trans. Normal driving with a 2800 tc is easier on the trans as well. But, with all of the miles on your trans, and the mods you have done to your Hemi engine. Your 545rfe trans will be the weak link. Would be a very good idea to replace your high mileage 545rfe trans. You have a few options. ATS completely rebuilt and updated 545rfe trans and Copilot would be a great performance option. Clint and his ATS team have put in many hours and modifications to the 545rfe trans to make it stronger and more reliable than it was. Swap to a 6 speed manual trans is a good fun option. But, any trans swap will cost you time and money to get it right...

PS. This is just my own opinion. Please take it as such...
I don't prefer the 46rh trans swap for a street truck. There's allot of mods that have to be done just to get it in there and working as it should. And, if you do your research on this site. You'll see that their having problems as well. But, for a drag race truck, different story. Once again, this is just my own opinion.

#13 ·
Haha.... faster they go the more strain you'll have.... I'm not a fan of the 545rfe and have little good to say about them...

#19 ·
I looked at the line pressure booster but alot of what I read says the computer will manage it out in a month and it will stop increasing the line pressure. Is there truth to that? Also from what I was reading that if you have a custom tune then the lone booster doesnt help anyway. I know diablosport deleted trans tuning in the 3rd gen so it might be old information I was reading

#23 ·
2800 is a good all around stall speed, especially with 4.56's. Had to remove mine because the lockup clutches went. Will totally change the nature of the beast. The RFE is definitely your weak link. Don't need a lift, just be prepared to lift the front end high enough. Trans jack is definitely a lifesaver if you're doing this by yourself (I've had to do this myself twice lol). Caveat with a trans jack is the front end has to be high enough for the trans on the jack to clear underneath. TC bolts are easy, use a breaker bar with the right size big socket (don't remember the size offhand) for the crank pulley to hold the crank in place and loosen each one. You may have some initial difficulties separating the engine and trans if they've never been apart before, just verify you got all the bolts and keep wiggling; she'll pop. Check and double check you don't rip or forget any electrical wires to the trans or if any of the O2 sensor wires get in the way; save yourself the headache later. When you get it out, should look like this:

Minus the 2003 single cat and Y pipe lol

#32 ·
I could but I have no idea where you are lol

One important note about the 545rfe trans. Don't do any from overdrive (50 to 55mph) to wide open throttle down shifting. Even if you have a built 545 trans. Just don't do it. You can take it out of overdrive and make it down shift to the next lower gear but, just don't do it at wide open throttle.

THIS THIS THIS

So I found a shop which will do it for $400. Seems reasonable. However he said on a 179k 545rfe he gives it a week before its toast and in the process screwimg up the new tc.

He's not wrong, especially depending on how it was treated before. Are they able to perform a quick learn?

#28 ·
It's a 3-4 hours shop job plus fluids. Shop rates are $60-$125 per hour. It's hard to agrue against his statement. With 179k the trans is far from fresh....

#30 ·
, you are in Baltimore correct ? If you need aback up 545 I have 2wd with 100k on on it. $400 delivered.

#34 ·
I'm in parkville. If I remember correct arent you down in middle river?

I'm looking at adding the ats co-pilot. It is supposed to raise the line pressure to 175 or 185 at wot on the clutches. It seems like a good deal. I'll call ats and ask a few more questions.

I'll check with greg to see if his shop can do the relearn for the swapped trans

#36 ·
something you might want to consider since your truck is an 08, is getting HP tuners, you can have some one program the trans, shift points, pressures ,TCC Apply/Release,Torque Management....and the engine programming all for about $400 Vs $760

#37 · (Edited)
I'll check with the shop I use to see how they do the relearn. I swapped to the 46rh in March 2015 and haven't given much thought about the 545 since. However it is an important that it's done when swapping transmissions.
Edit: the shop has a Snap-on scanner that can perform the quick learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.